[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

bigwater, you've got that right!!! A hobby can turn into drudgery after so much working and so much suffering--ha! Do it for fun and enjoyment a couple times a week and you aren't likely to get burnt out---heck, even eating ice cream gets old after a while-ha!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg73533.html#msg73533

Offline andy2sleepy
if you're gonna trip anyways, you might as well do it over a 20 pound nugget
Copper Member

if you're gonna trip anyways, you might as well do it over a 20 pound nugget
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 1/2" keene dredge,  keene a 52 sluice, truck load of 5 gal buckets, and a rusty shovel
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

i agree with most of the replies  you've gotten so far. i wouldn't recommend trying to make your own nuggets either.  i have never tried to make them, but i have seen a few attempts by others, and they were pretty ugly.  i worked at an aluminum recycling plant for a couple years, and learned a good deal about melting, pouring, and alloying metals. not gold or silver, unfortunately... but all metals can cause a steam explosion when they make contact with water in their molten states.. 
if you decide to try and pour your own ingots or bars into some sort of metal molds, make sure to preheat your molds before your pour, or they can cause your gold to pop and splatter on ya.  similiar to dropping bacon into a hot greasy skillet.   just be extra careful, and make sure to wear goggles.  i'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, its just that i have had a lot of metal burns, and i had a buddy go blind in one eye from a tiny speck of aluminum that got past his face shield, and his safety glasses..   i would probably try to sell it to a scap gold buyer.   i sold my gold flakes and pickers last fall to a scrap buyer. he didnt ask any questions about it, and paid me 85% spot prices and figured it at 93% purity.  i thought it was pretty fair.    i hope this helps.. take care and happy hunting!!

andy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg73619.html#msg73619

Offline Foiled Again
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1535.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

No detectors at the moment, 100 gpm suction dredge pump, 2" hand operated gold sucker, handmade bucket classifier, 9 inch cleanup sluice with v-matting
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2010, 08:41:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Gold Digger is right about the explosions I work in a foundry and I have seen firsthand what can happen when water, and molten metal make contact in the induction furnace. Some people have been hurt and killed in this manner.
                 Foiled Again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg87545.html#msg87545

Offline LkyEgl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
It's not fraud if you don't mark the gold ingots. There's no law on earth that disallows the refining of gold into ingots. And we all wear Velcro(tm) on our shoes down here or we'd fall off.

GoldDigger is right!!  Up until 1971 when gold was put on the world market, individuals in the U.S. were not allowed to have "processed" gold. (Other than jewelry and collectors coins, etc.) But now, the controls have been lifted.
I would only caution; If you happened to find more than one ingot, don't try to sell all of them to one buyer, as that would become a matter of speculation. i.e., Hmmm, I wonder where he got them? or worse, let's check his house and see if he has any more. I think you might see the outcome of that.

Frankly, I would tell a buyer: "I found this while I was metal detecting". But, don't let them know that you found more than one. Then, I might drive to another city, find another buyer, and sell another. After that, keep any others in a safe place until I might need more cash.

Unfortunately, though I've found and sold a lot of gold over the years, I've never found an ingot to find out if my plan would work.  Grin Grin

Eagle

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg128073.html#msg128073

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 08:18:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
It's not fraud if you don't mark the gold ingots. There's no law on earth that disallows the refining of gold into ingots. And we all wear Velcro(tm) on our shoes down here or we'd fall off.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Funny Funny Funny Funny Funny
O4G

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg129235.html#msg129235

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6    Go Up
Jump to: