[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 09:00:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
My flyspeck of a house is within 20 minutes of areas that can be called the Outback. I take my dog for a walk every day in bushland near our house where he encounters creatures of all description believing I put them there for his enjoyment. For the most part, they go on in peace after he sniffs them but occasionally they take exception to his very presence and he comes back to tell me all about it.

The Australian Outback is just too huge a place to say something like, "He's in the Outback," and having the other person understand where he is. Here, we say, "He's going out to Bendigo." The reply? "Outback?" The answer. "Yep, until he gets tired and comes to town."

Nice picture GD.......Looks like Pooch has found something of interest. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64016.html#msg64016

Johnlaw

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:48:13 am by Sue »
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 01:09:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger, Another cool dog! What a great playground - while those plants are probably so ordinary to you, I think they are pretty nifty. I can see why you call it bushland.

It's hard for me to imagine a great expanse of land without small towns and convenience stores here and there. I'm with you, John, as I think it would be interesting to see the natural undeveloped areas, too. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64019.html#msg64019

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 05:13:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sue
GoldDigger, Another cool dog! What a great playground - while those plants are probably so ordinary to you, I think they are pretty nifty. I can see why you call it bushland.

It's hard for me to imagine a great expanse of land without small towns and convenience stores here and there. I'm with you, John, as I think it would be interesting to see the natural undeveloped areas, too. Sue

Thanks. He's my best treasure hunting buddy. So far, he's never told a living soul where I found my last cache.

In this pic, he's looking at a blue tongued lizard that just vanished into the grass tree and thinking he can find it. The grass tree is that stuff that looks like really tough grass behind him. What you see there are a few juvenile grass trees which are less that a foot tall. The grass top is much higher than the stalk at that point in its life cycle. In two years, the stalk will be tall and black in color. The second picture is of a grass tree that is mature enough to have a black trunk. They grow to be as tall as 20 feet or so and develop long spears of a flower when they bloom. I'll take a picture of the next one I see like that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64024.html#msg64024

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

BushDog002.jpg
GrassTree.jpg

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 11:20:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Love the dog's plush tail - bet he is a loyal, trusted partner. I'm sure he'd always be ready for a good thunting adventure. Grass tree is interesting - I'd have never expected a trunk like that to develop. Must be kind of a swampy like area or at least one that gets a lot of moisture. Do people landscape with them - attractive flower? Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64048.html#msg64048

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

MountainDweller, that's an awesome (or maybe Aus-some) nugget in the pan.  You and GD both have a couple of fine looking companions......Me, I wouldn't trust either of my current dogs.  Both of them would probably want to investigate the rattling noise behind the bush.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64053.html#msg64053

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 04:18:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sue, the area is arid - dry as dust. The grass tree survives all year on the summer rainfall. The stump of the grass tree is made from years of that top grass looking stuff being gnawed off by local fauna to its source. Each year another layer grows.

He's an awesome dog. Keeps me in sight all the time. Once, I hid behind a tree and he went nuts sniffing my trail until he found me. He didn't have to say a word but I felt a bit cruel after that.

Aggie, my buddy would be right with them but fortunately for me he doesn't "dine out" unless I feed him in the bush. People put bait out for wild dogs here and some of my friends have lost dogs to an agonizing death from that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64075.html#msg64075

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mountaindwellerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter tracker iv
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 04:55:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all,  Sue re: #4, yep the gold did come from the river/ stream in the dog pic, it's called the Turon river,
I live smack bang in an old gold digging area, hence the abundance of relic and coin hunting areas.
GD, great pic of your "buddy', and yep we've got the same problems here with 1080, absoloutely awful stuff, my neighbour recently lost his dog , no antidote, a very sad day...

On a happier note , it's finally raining here, time to get out in the hills and find some treasures.

Cheers  steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64082.html#msg64082

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 05:08:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mountaindweller, that's a fine looking Kelpie you have there. They run like the wind, they do.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64088.html#msg64088

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mikeK
Silver Member

purrrr
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

2940.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1266 and f2
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 06:07:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

like the gold,we can only drem of that over her,where the austraiian pre decimal worth the same as the British coins back then,or was the aus? 1 to 1 wth the ?sterling,,,mikek

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64105.html#msg64105

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 08:12:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mikeK
like the gold,we can only drem of that over her,where the austraiian pre decimal worth the same as the British coins back then,or was the aus? 1 to 1 wth the ?sterling,,,mikek

Mike, the Australian pre-decimal was on a parity with the UK coinage and was sometimes used interchangeably; particularly during the WWI and WWII years when metals were scarce and needed elsewhere.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10171.msg64122.html#msg64122

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: