[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Frank C.
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Bug Fisher
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 11:00:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My buddy from Bark River gave me a nice sample. It is almost 8 in long and almost 1 and a half in in diameter. Ya I hear that most of the copper runs about 20 percent silver.What I am really interested in are artifacts made from Native copper.My buddy has found some. Would be nice to know how old and who made them.I am going to detect all the sites that I have found for copper or any metal as far as that goes. The French I do know had trade arrowheads that they traded to the tribes.When I was a kid in Tucson Arizona, I used to hunt for seashell braceletts. While on one hunt I picked up a a piece of copper rolled into a ball and it had something rattling around inside. I must have packed it for 3 quarter a mi and got tired of carrying it so I tossed it. About a year or so later I came across a book about HoHokum Tribes who Lived through out that Part of Arizona and don't you know there was a picture of the same type of copper bell . Well I had a Compass 77b detector which was my first one.Any way I returned to the spot that I had tossed  the bell but never did find it.I must have searched for it at least 20 times to no avail. From then on if I find some thing odd I put in the odd pile till I figure out what it is. I did not mean to ramble on just thought some one would find this interesting. Our sow is almost gone and yesterday I got a load of pay dirt that I have to clean up..   Later   Frank C

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56217.msg273814.html#msg273814

Offline Beach Pirate
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro - XP Deus - Pro Pointer - Stealth Sand Scoop - Gray Ghost Earphones
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:22:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Copper from Northern Michigan was traded by native American tribes, ending up as artifacts all over the Midwest and eastern portions of the country.  Later, when the French arrived, they also were involved in the process.  I'm not to sure about copper deposits in Mich being 20% silver. That number might be a little high.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56217.msg273833.html#msg273833

Preserve Our Hobby - Please Fill Your Holes Land or Beach

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 05:46:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Copper artifacts have been found on Isle Royale island dating back to 800AD. It is a national park now and no detecting allowed.

20% silver....  Sounds too high like beach pirate mentioned.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56217.msg273848.html#msg273848

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: