[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mining womanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 30, 2009, 08:46:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Can anyone recommend a lapidary they've have experiences with, near the philadelphia area?  Yellow pages and internet don't really mention any and i've looked under several different categories.

Thanks,

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6136.msg37304.html#msg37304

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:04:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi mining woman, just put lapidary and philadelphia in Google and there's plenty of hits to check out. I've had agate sliced before, locally, but I'm nowhere near PA. Maybe some members on this site may be able to help you, better, with firsthand experience. I do want to say welcome & wish you luck with your project  Smiley Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6136.msg37310.html#msg37310

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:51:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

mining woman;
Get a copy of the Rock and Gem magazine, they have lots of online resources, listed, and may have something in the area you want. Ive been buying Rock and Gem, forever, they seem to be reputable and VERY informative. Dont know about their advertisers, though.

Been a rockhound, forever (since I was about 4), and have done some cutting/polishing, too. Its not that hard to learn, if you have any aptitude, no matter how big or small. Its fun.

Brian  AKA goldigger.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6136.msg38047.html#msg38047

goldigger

Offline mining womanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:01:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, golddigger!  What kind of equipment did you end up purchasing for your cutting and faceting?

Linda (aka mining woman)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6136.msg38064.html#msg38064

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:08:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

mining woman;

Purchase? You got to be kidding! A tight-wad like me purchase equipment.... Most of the common tools are available any where:

bench grinder- common, just use the grind stones made for rock cutting;

lap wheels- been made from old phonographs;

You can make a faceter- see Rock and Gem mag- the first ones were home made, anyway;

Slabbing saws- easy!

mud saws- piece of cake! Just a big disk of copper or aluminum sheet metal with water and grinding compound fed on, near the cut, so it carries into the cut. It turns just fast enough to keep the sheet metal flat, probably no more than 700 RPM. The soft metal grabs the grit and cuts the harder rock.

I used or had access to a 12 inch, home made slab saw and for fine work used a tiny saw, something like a tile cutter. Ive got some 8 and 15 inch diamond saws just waiting for a home made machine.... need some ideas?

I never got into faceting, I like cabochons and tumble polish; jade is easy, to work, but hard to polish; agate is hard to cut but polishes great with tin oxide. Its lots of fun, but you need a separate work shop and I just dont have the room as I live with my sister and bro in law.

For instance, Im looking for a suitable holiday trailer so I  can get my TH, ham and placer stuff out of the house and basement. Mainly, I need it for a Ham shack. The workshop is a work-in-progress.

Right now, Im on the trail of a long forgotten deposit of thunder eggs! Kind of like a treasure hunt but metal locators are not going to help much, unless.... I have to go back and read that mining report and see what is in the, so called, clay in which they are found. (Got me thinking, here!)

Rock and Gem has always had a good series on faceting... I read it occasionally but never use it.

I first started picking up rocks, because they were bright colours, when I was about 4 or 5- I was amazed at my little brother, because his use for them was to go in his ear!

Glad to help.

Brian AKA goldigger (and rockhound)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6136.msg38126.html#msg38126

goldigger

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: