[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bubby-joeTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter, garrett, rat shack,(retired)cen tech hand held, new tesoro sand shark and ACE250 for the wife
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:29:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Is it possible to use an Atmega 128 chip on a card and use it in place of the listed atmega 8 chip by hard wiring the 128 pins to the PCB and only using the pins the circuit board uses.  Atmega 128 diagram included as attachment.  The reason I ask is I have a few atmega 128 cards and programers and card readers that are just waiting for a project.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg112935.html#msg112935

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

ATmega128-16AU ATmega1281-16AU ATmega2561-16AU.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:34:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The answer is yes but with serious qualifications to that answer. As you know, there is a program inside of those chips which makes them function as a device which controls and directs all of the signals on the main board of the metal detector. It then interprets the results. Soldering 128 wires is a daunting task under the best of circumstances and then, after electrical testing, a program must be written.

First, the program has to test all functions one by one. Then, the program must be written to allow all knobs and buttons to work as they should. Keep in mind that all other timings and frequencies must be properly arranged to make the machine work.

I have been working for more than 20 years in the embedded programming design area in industry other than metal detecting and 15 years within it. Even with my background, I would never, ever attempt to insert a single board controller into a working circuit. Instead, I would consider it easier to design a metal detector around the single board controller.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg112965.html#msg112965

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter, garrett, rat shack,(retired)cen tech hand held, new tesoro sand shark and ACE250 for the wife
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

First there is only 64 solder joints to be soldered and only if you remove it from the card it comes on.  What I meant was is it possible to program a 128 card to do the job of an atmega 8 Pdip and possible not have to change the Pdips programming by that much to work.  The cards I've got usually came with there own programmer shown are 2 different cards and both cards have a timer chip on the board with frequencies in the 18.000 range.  The cards have many uses because they are programmable.  The only change to the MD's PCB would be to add a piggy back reader to the main PCB in place of the Pdip or 28 pin mount.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg113076.html#msg113076

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P8300915.jpg
P8300917.jpg
P8300918.jpg

Offline craig j
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bonty hunter 1100
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:28:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

wow i like that alot way to go  Waveing Waveing Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg113085.html#msg113085

Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by craig j
wow i like that alot way to go  Waveing Waveing Rider

I didn't make them I bought them a while back for another purpose they worked well as door entry cards and other things and I don't see why they couldn't work to use the atmega card in place of the Atmega 8 Pdip or designed around the card itelf using the reader as a part of the PCB.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg113113.html#msg113113

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:24:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

The problem with that still remains the number of interconnections to deal with. May I ask what is wrong with using the chip? You can drag this DIY thing too far away from efficiency without really trying. Just use it as it is. Why go through all of this work just to show it MIGHT work?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg113203.html#msg113203

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:24:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Point taken it seems more work than any benifit and not worth my while but finding a use for the cards was the purpose.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg113253.html#msg113253

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

That being said, there are a few here who have built a 556 timer chip into a gated PI transmitter circuit. All you need to make it into a really classy PI machine is good receiver circuit and your ATMEGA card. With a program to match, of course.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17544.msg113372.html#msg113372

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: