[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Peti80Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Hungary
Referrals: 0

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:32:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Guys,

Do you have experience on the difference between single and dual coil PI detectors? I mean that type of design which uses different coils for transmitting and receiving.
The dual design has the advantage, that it doesn't need a galvanically isolated voltage pump for the opamps. Are there any disadvantages besides having to build another coil? Is the sensitvity worse? By chance, doesn't magnetic targets couple the 2 coils better than non-magnetics (giving better sens to magnetic targets)?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10970.msg70036.html#msg70036

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:52:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

The second coil has a damping effect on the overall performance and can limit power to the ground. The single coil is the most common design and would be my choice since that receiver coil acts like a big antenna right in the same field and alignment as the transmit coil. Unlike a VLF/TR machine, the dual coils are usually very close to the same size in PI units.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10970.msg70259.html#msg70259

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline DOOLEY1972
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

650.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i like the idea of dual coil pi's , only require single supply (when one ind of rx conected to zero volts), as return signal returns down to zero volts instead of going high and reurning down to + rail, and a step up transformer effect can be used , more turns on rx = more voltage deviation for a given target.

tried this my self , experimentaly , using 3-4 times as many turns on the rx , please dont scope the rx coil without a divide by 10 probe as voltage can peak at over 2000 volts , if scope good for 400v a divide by 10 get you upto 4000v.

accidentaly touching the rx wires will result in jumping a little.

1n4148's only good for 100v so higher resistance coupling resistor needed , about 10k ish
damping resistor required on rx is alot "lighter" 1k to 3k ish depending on coil.
have experienced increace in sensitivity and apparently no loss in effective power / field.

still thinking this is the way to go for sensitivity and simple receive design.

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 02:38:18 PM
forgot to add one thing , with over 100 turns on the rx it will need shielding , otherwise you have a real nice radio aerial.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10970.msg178115.html#msg178115

Offline dr.jare
Copper Member

Thank you20

Activity
0%

Serbia and Montenegro

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Barracuda
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:45:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dual Coil PI detectors is good for "bad ground" but the "average ground " has less depth of detection of single coil PI detectors.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10970.msg178421.html#msg178421

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dooley, from a design perspective it is much safer for the circuitry to have a dual coil setup and Faraday shielding is an absolute necessity. The dual coil eliminates the need to blank off the receiver during the transmit pulse, which is something I do in my designs. In my current project, I am using a dual coil design. The TX coil field decay time and the huge gain in the RX circuits are making things difficult and turning the machine into a very slow one. One has to avoid the TX signal being mistaken for a target signal. Know what I mean?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10970.msg178462.html#msg178462

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline DOOLEY1972
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

650.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:08:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

hello GD . sort of know what you mean , with dual coils the decay takes longer.
with a single coil i was playing with last night , and it was only tight wrap copper ennamel , i was below 0.7v only 3us after switch off ,  where as with a dual coil , tx30t , rx100t , i'm getting 50us ish before it drops below 0.7v.
even with a mono of 100t i'm getting 35us decay , and thats with insulated wire , which is suposed to be faster due to lower inter winding capacitance.

conclusion is the more turns , the longer the wait , which will "miss" low conductivity targets.
but more turns = more deviation / sensitivity , it's all a compromise.

thought about 3 coils , a low 30 turn tx and 2x50 turn rx coils wired to give + and - then op-amp the differance , bet if i tried this the 2x50 turns would still add up to the same long decay.

thought of a poss silly idea the other day after someone mentioned that aposing coils kills flyback , but they also kill field strength ,so , 2 opposing coils , 1st is tX and the second kicks in when the tx is at flyback peak , decay should come down quick and being after tx peak , the field strength should not be reduced.

this should get a short decay regardless of how many turns.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10970.msg178684.html#msg178684

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: