[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline foxyrick
Pull Tab

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

With regards to the battery meter, I believe it must be a 500uA (microamp), not mA. It looks like it's measuring the voltage drop across the -12V regulator, so with the battery full it will have 2.4V across the meter and resistor.

With the 8.2k (8200 ohms) resistor, even with negligible meter coil resistance, this will give only 293uA through the meter. Less if the meter's resistance is included. So, a 500mA meter wouldn't even notice the current.

Conclusion:- it must be a 500uA meter. A 250uA would probably be better, maybe with a resistance tweak.

All that's trivial though; it hardly stops it detecting metal.

I'm working on a parts list. Got all the parts listed but need to check which are SMD from the pcb diagram now.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg45635.html#msg45635

Offline chudster
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Foxyrick,

You are a champion!  I agree with your assessment/ calculation of the battery indicator and thanks for working on the parts list.

With regard to the OPA637, if you have a better op amp then you should try it.  I would like to suggest that you should socket it and benchmark the change (for your benefit and ours) as the 5534 is cheap and available.  While it is probably a safe upgrade we aren't clued on to all the design decisions that drove the choice of this part from the previous op amp and you would want to be sure its a positive change.

Having said that here are some other coments/ suggestions  ......

Many metal detectors develop the rail voltages from two 9V batteries.  While these op amps all work at 5V (OPA637 is 4.5V I think) it is close to their minimum and does not give their best performance.  I think the other change that will help would be to replace the 78L05 and 79L05 with the L08 or L09 parts and run the rails at a higher voltage.  This should improve the performance of all op amps.  The issue may be that the charge pump inverter formed by the 555 timer in the power stage cannot provide a much higher voltage.  I will look into this and any other likely changes that this mod might lead too.

Looking at the RC filtering on the supplies of the 5534 tells me that the designer was either paranoid about noise in this circuit or may have had a problem.  Bearing in mind this is a fairly high gain circuit and therefore prone to noise the RC decoupling still doesn't strike me as an elegant solution.  Increasing rail voltage should help this and perhaps allow the 47 ohm resistor to be lowered/ removed unless the filtering is aimed at a particular frequency.  Again, change should be benchmarked.    Also for noise it is common to use low value disc capacitors as decouplers across the chip supply as electrolytics don't have great performance for high frequency noise.  This article (

Please Register or Login

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/webbop/5532.htm
) recommends one capacitor rail to rail (I think) for this purpose for the 5534.  This is absent in this circuit and I speculate that if the designer had noise problems it might have been high frequency and the RC solution was maybe a sledgehammer to a walnut in lieu of recommended decoupling for this chip.  It would do nor harm for the recommended decoupling method particularly as the penalty is "some sort of internal oscillation that degrades linearity without being visible as oscillation on a normal oscilloscope".

Finally, WRT the parts list, I thought that none of the parts in the circuit are SMD?

Cheers,

Chudster

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg45639.html#msg45639

Offline foxyrick
Pull Tab

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 11:04:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Chudster,

First, wrt the parts list, if you check the .pdf on page 4, there is a diagram showing placement of the SMD parts on the copper side of the board. I only realised this when looking on the board diagram (page 2) for the guard rings. I noticed there were a lot of little square pads hanging around... then I noticed the lack of passive components. Mostly it's resistors but a think a few capacitors as well. Just need time to sit down and focus for 30 minutes...

You might well be right about a higher split rail being a good thing. I've got a box full of different power regulator type chips: charge pump, switching etc. I'll have to take a look and see if any can be rigged to do the job better.

The 555 looks to be oscillating at 107KHz. There could well be some noise at this frequency being coupled into the rest of the circuit. Given that we are looking at events in the 10's of microseconds range, any noise at that frequency could be quite disruptive. Plus there is potential noise from the monostable switching. I would certainly agree with some extra decoupling at the front end opamp and switching circuit. I would like the switching circuit in a little tin box. And the front end in another.

I hadn't even noticed the 47 ohm resistors in its supply lines... never seen that done before!

The 555's will definitely be better swapped for something more modern anyway.

Trouble with me is I get completely obsessed with the accuracy, precision and purity of stuff, to the point that I often spend so much time 'improving' something that I never actually get a finished article. I used to design ultra high precision instrumentation circuits, but it's so long ago that I've forgotten most of the stuff. I also tend spend weeks solving some particularly interesting or difficult design issue in something I want to make, then get bored with the easy stuff and just stop.

I actually want a pulse induction detector for beach work, but can't afford a good one. Hence me thinking of making this. If I'm not careful though I'll end up doing my usual - I need to stop tweaking at some point and just make the thing and get out on the beach with it.

I'm also playing with my own design ideas at the same time... fast mosfet turn off, differential search coil, precision differential front end, fast ADC sampling of the waveform and a fast micro to drive it and produce a useful interpretation of the results. I've got some really nice 40Msps 12-bit pipeline ADC's and a box full of assorted MCU's...

Edited to add: I last made a metal detector (based on the PE Magnum design) in the early 80's. In that one, there were two separate, regulated supplies run from their own batteries. That seemed a better course of action than a single battery and lots of decoupling. Of course, that was an IB design without the big power drain of a PI. In my own, if I ever get far enough to need to work on the power supply, I think I would go with some small lithium-ion cells (4x RCR123's for instance), and linear regulators, for the main circuitry and a separate big battery for the coil drive. Just eliminate a lot of the noise and decoupling in one go!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg45650.html#msg45650

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:17:40 am by foxyrick »
Offline foxyrick
Pull Tab

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 12:01:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is the basic parts list. Obviously, folks will have to use their common sense on some parts, like capacitors and power resistors, that can be come in different pin widths etc. Check the PCB before buying.

I would appreciate it if someone would check and confirm that I haven't missed anything or made a mistake. I found one just now! Let me know of any amendments needed.

Most of the resistors, and a few of the capacitors, are SMD and mounted on the copper side. I went through the SMD placement (page four of the .pdf) to mark them on the list.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg45655.html#msg45655

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

GS4 BOM.txt

Offline chudster
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 07:46:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Foxyrick,

You are right about SMD. I completely missed this!

I agree with you about finessing too much.  I think its the 80/20 rule.  20% of effort to give 80% improvement so that we don't get stuck in the weeds and lose interest (I am just like you).  The trick is to build one as standard and then make changes from the benchmark original because we don't have the rationale of the design decisions of the original designers.

I am looking at building this one because I think its a good base for the kind of DSP project you are talking about.  It seems to have the fundamentals.

Thanks for the parts list.  I will go through this in detail shortly when I have some more time.  The more eyes the better!

I think the only agreed change that is a given is to replace the old bipolar 555 timers with newer CMOS versions.  I would strongly suggest that we add the recommended decoupling for the 5534 op amp (or replacement) given the instability problem mentioned.  Also the TL064 and TL074 do not have the 47R like the 5534 but has 22uF decoupling and is a candidate for high frequency decouplers too.  It would be good to find a reference designs for these chips to confirm.  I will look.

I think that we are agreed that the 5534 amp circuit is high gain and is probably the most critical part of this whole circuit.

The battery solution you suggested is a good one WRT reducing noise but having multiple kinds of batteries to charge/ replace just offers the chance for more frustration in the field.  It is a strong disincentive for this solution to me.

I would suggest raising the rails by some means (batteries or otherwise) though.  It seems that the inverter circuit here is pretty similar to the one

Please Register or Login

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/vinvertr.asp
which specs a voltage drop magnitude of 1V from the input voltage.  If that is the case, increasing the rail voltage by replacing the regulators seems straightforward.  Can anyone who has one of these confirm the voltage at the input to the 78L05 regulator?

I note that the aaroncake.net inverter circuit oscillates at about 3KHz as opposed to the goldscan inverter that is around the 100KHz mark (as you mentioned) and it does not have the transistor output stage of the goldscan.

It would seem easy to omit the transistor output stage to implement the aaroncake.net version if it would be better- obviously also realising the inverted design of the GS for positive inversion from a negative supply.  I am not sure if the high oscillation frequency was a plus (putting the noise fundamentals high) or a negative and whether a 3KHz oscillation is going to give more noise problems.  100kHz seems kind of high.  Its all speculation without a circuit to test.

The RC filtering on the 5534 supply is not normal but I have seen it done as a bandaid to solve noise problems that were solvable by other means (like good layout or proper high frequency decoupling).  I note that the same was done with the 555 that drives the coil transistor and this might also be made redundant by replacing the 555 bipolar with CMOS.  The CMOS 4538 have a similar arrangement.  With great respect to the original designer (who I take my hat off to for the design and with my ignorance in not experiencing his problems and design decisions) it may have been to try and resolve the oscillation caused by the omission of the high frequency decoupling capacitor although it was also implemented for the previous op amp used in this position- the ua709.  Hard to say without having a working circuit to probe but I would favour replacing the 47 ohm resistors with zero ohm links on the 5534 rails after adding proper decoupling- as a test.

Your comment to place the driver circuit externally (in with the coil?) is a good one but there is probably some art to where you split the circuit.  It may be best to put the 5534 circuit there so that the amplification is done before the hike down the coil wire to the main electronics if you were to move out the driver circuit.

Hopefully this does not throw up more issues than resolutions!

I hope a few people check your parts list!  More eyes are better.

Thanks for your work!

Chudster

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg45833.html#msg45833

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you decide to add that cute little 555 inverter circuit do yourself a favor and use a Faraday shield on the circuit. The harmonic noise from that baby will cause problems on all of your adjacent circuits. A Faraday shield is easy. Just use a small metal project case over it which is tied to ground or earth in your main circuit.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg45885.html#msg45885

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline chudster
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD,

I am not sure that the board is designed for a faraday shield but you are right that the switchers are noisy.  I am not sure if the consensus will be to layout a new board.

Maybe we can make a "tin foil hats" and fit them carefully  :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg46065.html#msg46065

Offline hesamavr
Copper Member

Thank you10

Activity
0%

Iran, Islamic Republic of

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Dear Friends

in the schematic of Goldscan, some parts need more information.

1 - consider 50K Trim below the SW1-b, the adjusting information isn't mentioned.

2 - what is the role of POT,10K (GND) which is connected to SW1-a ?

3 - what is the role of  (delay) and (treshold) POTs?

4 - what is the function of auto (hold) and (reset) keys?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg46068.html#msg46068

Offline behrouz_t
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Iran, Islamic Republic of

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

white
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 10:08:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

سلام آقا حسام گلد اسکن رو ساختی یا داری میسازی؟

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg46072.html#msg46072

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by behrouz_t
سلام آقا حسام گلد اسکن رو ساختی یا داری میسازی؟

English please.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6515.msg46179.html#msg46179

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Jump to: