[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline grondgerhalder
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

South Africa
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 57.0
Firefox 57.0

Awards

DIY kit
« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2018, 07:18:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is interesting..

How would you go about reverse engineering the code?

Thinking of building software that display numbers/avg's from the ADC, figuring out what that means... where is ground, how do they differ, deciding when to make sound and what quality it should have. Re-reading the patent concept..

Could be fun.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323133.html#msg323133

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2018, 07:30:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by grondgerhalder
This is interesting..

How would you go about reverse engineering the code?

Thinking of building software that display numbers/avg's from the ADC, figuring out what that means... where is ground, how do they differ, deciding when to make sound and what quality it should have. Re-reading the patent concept..

Could be fun.

I wouldn't because reverse engineering is Theft, And anyone caught doing so should be locked up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323134.html#msg323134

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 57.0
Firefox 57.0

Awards
« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just write  your own code using the same configured hardware.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323135.html#msg323135

Offline phred01
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

95.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 57.0
Firefox 57.0

Awards
« Reply #403 on: January 12, 2018, 01:56:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
I wouldn't because reverse engineering is Theft, And anyone caught doing so should be locked up.

Andyf's code was Re by powel and it has changed into 2nd Chance. BTW rumor has it chance has genesis from a commercial unit From what I can glean no-one has claimed copyright of the code so it is in the public domain  for personal use. All the manufacturers RE their competitors new units as soon as they are released. Apple, Samsung Microsoft etc have been doing it for yrs. Sometimes they get caught infringing patients and pay big bucks. Anyway patients only last for 15 yrs. Powel acknowledges Andf's work and RE the code he did say the Andyf used a mixture of C and assembly Powel in his post has reworked the C parts of the code and the assembly parts have had only p arameter changes. Maybe we will c a 3rd chance on the horizon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323139.html#msg323139

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #404 on: January 12, 2018, 02:03:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by phred01
Andyf's code was Re by powel and it has changed into 2nd Chance. BTW rumor has it chance has genesis from a commercial unit From what I can glean no-one has claimed copyright of the code so it is in the public domain  for personal use. All the manufacturers RE their competitors new units as soon as they are released. Apple, Samsung Microsoft etc have been doing it for yrs. Sometimes they get caught infringing patients and pay big bucks. Anyway patients only last for 15 yrs. Powel acknowledges Andf's work and RE the code he did say the Andyf used a mixture of C and assembly Powel in his post has reworked the C parts of the code and the assembly parts have had only p arameter changes. Maybe we will c a 3rd chance on the horizon

Whether apple, Samsung or Microsoft has done it for years or not does not make it right or legal, theft is theft, and I would give em 25 years hard time. not in some nancy boy hotel, and unless it is legal it won't be done on this forum.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323141.html#msg323141

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:07:35 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline phred01
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

95.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 57.0
Firefox 57.0

Awards
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Many yrs ago remember a PIC based metal detector but could find any dnl of this project on my old computer. Surprising found on this site & geotech interesting threads using a Pic processor.

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/metal_detectors/diy_pic12f1840_microcontroller_based_metal_detector_project-t38721.0.html

Please Register or Login

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?19935-My-Pulse-Oscillation-detector-project

The circuit of chance is basically the same but uses a different micro and has improved signal conditioning with a input amp to detect  fainter echoes. The source pic can be found in the above threads. From my under standing that the decay the returned signal varies with the metal type. Chance calculates the value and determines metal type.  A person with a handle andy built one of these Pic units and my guess he could be andyf who posted an improved detector.....chance

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323161.html#msg323161

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:43:20 pm by phred01, Reason: improve grammar »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 57.0
Firefox 57.0

Awards
« Reply #406 on: January 14, 2018, 12:19:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes, I believe he is the one and the same. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323168.html#msg323168

Offline DavorLister
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Croatia

30.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 52.9
Firefox 52.9

Awards
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2018, 01:04:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Reverse engineering done properly is not a theft in most cases. However, copying is. Hard to see the difference, but there you have it.
In case of big shots, you are pushing your luck every time you enter their market, let alone trying to copy something. Just see what happened to bugwhiskers.
Right now BBS/FBS technologies are fair game, since their patents expired. Considering those are good technologies, I'm surprised there are no takers yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323344.html#msg323344

Offline NE555
Bronze Member

Thank you124

Activity
0%

Lithuania

1540.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Elite
« Reply #408 on: January 29, 2018, 05:17:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by phred01
A person with a handle andy built one of these Pic units and my guess he could be andyf who posted an improved detector.....chance

Andy_F, Andy-Andrej Fiodorov.
he did read Minelab patent US5506506 with his pale english. as could. and as could released CHANCE.
really chance has two algorithmics - on near depth and afar depth target.
getting result but as result is poor that he was not waited he left this project.
then he was been back to VLF type and did release the QUAZAR.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323349.html#msg323349

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:20:06 am by NE555 »
Offline grondgerhalder
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

South Africa

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 58.0
Firefox 58.0

Awards

DIY kit
« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Got myself my first Arduino, will be using it as an ISP to program the chance board. Have been meaning to get into this stuff at some point.

To me it looks like that if someone decided at some point to replace the analogue processing on the surf with a digital version, they would arrive at the same approximate basic circuit.  There's not much left of the PI machine if you take away the analogues though. I compared it to other circuits, most of any of the PI's floating around would end up with the same basic concept.

My main motivation is the learning part.. I doubt weather I'd end up with the same machine but there's only so many aspects of the pulse you could analyze so it would be hard not to end up with the same thing. I might be wrong though.. at this stage I'm thinking it's probably going to be a measurement on the delay and some quality of the delay as with the pic project. There is some part of the circuit that is confusing, the main mosfet is driven by logical on off, the second part could be driven by modulated pulse width or the same. Not sure what the second part is for... some kind of threshold or ground balance... The surf does not have this.

Anyway,.. my lazy strategy is to first learn the LCD and menu design, then working a flashing LED using the timer for timed equations since you'd need to be able to share the menu and loop with accurate timing taking preference so there is some interrupts, then, learn some sound, then using the Serial port to decode and read an external Analogue to digital signal, from here on it would determine on what I would find playing with the coil,... it can't be that hard, it might just be some late nights.
Probably not a good idea to have bugs that leaves a pulse in an on state, there's a lot that comes to mind.

Using the advantage of a controller is attractive because you could make smarter calibration circuits. Make the device measure and calculate the optimal for the coil you have slapped on as an example.

You could collect a lot of initial prototype data onto your pc to analyze the numbers.

You could decide to build a cheaper version, one that use a set of LED's for indication instead of an LCD.

There's a lot to be thankful here and I bet Andy worked his nut off.. but that's a journey for some people.

Posted on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:19 am
You could also use the Arduino straight with the Amega328 chip on it since it had twice the amount of storage than the chip he used at the time. Just don't try to use the same hex. There is talk however that certain things could be slower, but I'm not sure. You could end up with a fancy PI shield design.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7657.msg323428.html#msg323428

Print
Pages:  1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44   Go Up
Jump to: