[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hesammTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Iran, Islamic Republic of
Referrals: 0

65.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:05:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

it seems the LF357 is obsolete and can not be found easily, except fake ones. it is a good op-amp but it is not under production it seems.

I'm looking for a new substitute to introduce similar or better characteristics. Does anybody successfully tested any new part number as a replacement?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325087.html#msg325087

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 04:11:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Companies often license thier parts to other manufacturers after obsolescence. Those so called fakes are just aftermarket parts. Have you tried them or have you simply relied on the rumors about them?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325088.html#msg325088

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

65.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:33:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Companies often license thier parts to other manufacturers after obsolescence. Those so called fakes are just aftermarket parts. Have you tried them or have you simply relied on the rumors about them?

No Man. of course I tried many of them and none works as original. Besides, this component does not exist in any legitimate online store such as Digikey, Mouser and Farnell. It proves that it is not under production anymore nowhere (because it is old maybe) and the Chinese ones are other re-badged opamps such as 741

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325089.html#msg325089

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nope. I don't believe you have tried them. Had you done so, the aftermarket parts would have worked. I know. I tried many of them.

The F simply means JFET, low power. There is nothing else special about that part. A 741 will work but if you really want low power, try a TL031 in an 8 pin DIP package. That will work. I have tried that one and it is a drop in replacement.

The reason for low power is because of our use of batteries. The frequencies at which we operate make almost any op amp usable. Don't try to snow us here, mate. I've been an electronics engineer for decades and decades. I design metal detectors.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325090.html#msg325090

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

65.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 06:31:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Nope. I don't believe you have tried them. Had you done so, the aftermarket parts would have worked. I know. I tried many of them.

The F simply means JFET, low power. There is nothing else special about that part. A 741 will work but if you really want low power, try a TL031 in an 8 pin DIP package. That will work. I have tried that one and it is a drop in replacement.

The reason for low power is because of our use of batteries. The frequencies at which we operate make almost any op amp usable. Don't try to snow us here, mate. I've been an electronics engineer for decades and decades. I design metal detectors.

Please leave me alone if you don't believe. I believe you have not ever designed something because you don't know the difference between opamps. if you have not faced some fake parts, it does not mean they don't exist. I am not bounded to use obsolete parts. Please don't reply to my comments I don't need your help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325093.html#msg325093

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:34:50 am by hesamm »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:51:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hesamm
Please leave me alone if you don't believe. I believe you have not ever designed something because you don't know the difference between opamps. if you have not faced some fake parts, it does not mean they don't exist. I am not bounded to use obsolete parts. Please don't reply to my comments I don't need your help.

You asked for help, and I am offering it. I hold several patents for metal detector circuits. I am also a career electronics engineer. When you come here asking for help and then tell us you tried things that would have worked then you are either using bad parts or you haven't actually tried them, as you claim.

I have thousands of spare parts in my engineering lab and may actually have a few of the parts you need. Getting snarky with me won't encourage me to offer you one, as I have done with hundreds of other members. I often send spare parts to members here. You just went way down on my list.

I will no longer trouble you with facts. Instead, rely on those who don't really know. All your choice. Oh, and do remember that I am a moderator here. For a good reason.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325094.html#msg325094

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You ask a Question.  You got the answer.  Be Happy.

If you look around the LM357 is still around.   I can buy them here in town.  Hell I have a few in stock.  

If you do your homework there are a pile of other op amps that are a fraction the price and way much better is specs.

Please Register or Login

http://www.futurlec.com/Linear/LF357Npr.shtml

Please Register or Login

https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/248353.html?adgroupid=44391740863&keyword=lf357&adposition=1t1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzK_bBRDDARIsAFQF7zPxXCt0mhIKtxoDIeNmm8VtFQ_J4BOOabrAhPyzaid1Uj5xHWok7dEaArX2EALw_wcB

Please Register or Login

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XLF357.TRS0&_nkw=LF357&_sacat=0

I would go with GD's suggestion .  The man knows what he's talking about.  

You have plenty of options.  It's just a JFET Op AMP.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325101.html#msg325101

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

LF357.jpg

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:59:21 pm by Homefire »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 03:13:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Also, Homefire, the main reason for using the JFET op amp is to save power. We operate at audio and ultrasonic frequencies so just about any old op amp with the same pinout will function. The power consumption of a single op amp won't necessarily make that much difference all by itself but combine it with other circuit components and the low power contribution to the circuit is handy.

As I said earlier, had he actually tried other op amps, he would have seen that they work just fine but consume a little more power. I believe he was making his post sound more dramatic by saying he tried others. He should learn that help here is real, it is fast and it is normally accurate. We have no need to deceive anyone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325102.html#msg325102

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:10:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

I guess he's locked in the  mind set the OP Amp is giving him issues when in fact there may be other issues with his circuit ?      :Smiley

Yep.  For most of our applications we have plenty of op amp options.  In most cases if the pin out and power requirements are the same they will at least function well enough to get things working.  

I buy chines bits and bobs all the  time.   To this day have never found a obviously fake component.   More then a few have been right on the line with Tolerances and or Specs but still within.    I have some Zener's here that came marked as one value but turned out to be another.    Just wrote it off as ""CHIT HAPPENS""  I couldn't afford to do all the stuff I do paying State Side prices for all the stuff I buy.  

My current Bench Stock is better then our old Radio Shack had to offer.  LOL  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325105.html#msg325105

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:12:14 am by Homefire »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 61.0
Firefox 61.0

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:49:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have tons of spare parts I have gathered over the past 50 years. When I need an op amp or other part, I generally buy 10 or 20, as cheap as they are. Comes in handy.

When Xavier was building a detector, I sent him almost a full pound of parts which included every part he needed for the project. He nearly had a "tech-gasm" over the package when it arrived.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67595.msg325106.html#msg325106

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: