[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline aspardeshiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India
Referrals: 0

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Room,

Suppose a MD scans for upto a depth of 4 Ft maximum. Let us assume there is a gold ring at a distance of 2 Ft below ground level. If I hold the detector 1 Ft above ground level, will it scan the same ring successfully ?

Experts please opine. Thank you in advance.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59363.html#msg59363

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:23:59 pm by aspardeshi »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aspardeshi
Hello Room,

Suppose a MD scans for upto a depth of 4 Ft maximum. Let us assume there is a gold ring at a distance of 2 Ft below ground level. If I hold the detector 1 Ft above ground level, will it scan the same ring successfully ?

Experts please opine. Thank you in advance.

There has never been a metal detector that will find a gold ring at a depth of 3 feet. That's not possible with today's technology. Sorry.

Even at 2 feet, you might find a soda can or an axe head but it is doubtful that you could detect a gold ring. Not enough mass.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59370.html#msg59370

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

How about DBP2010 or XR71 ? it scans upto a depth of 4-5 ft I guess. Do you mean to say that all the gold coins and gold rings are at a maximum 2 Ft distance or less below ground level max can be detected, for any detector, even the one which scans at a max of 4 Ft like DBP2010 or XR71 ?
 :Smiley This is what I have understood.

It all depends on mass, smaller mass at short distance below ground level can be detected, if I receive signal for 420 CM scanning depth detector and if i do not find anything at around 6-12 inches then there may be a big treasure/ metal  below it   Shocked , is it so ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59376.html#msg59376

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:02:24 pm by aspardeshi »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:36:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

How about DBP2010 or XR71 ? it scans upto a depth of 4-5 ft I guess. Do you mean to say that all the gold coins and gold rings are at a maximum 2 Ft distance or less below ground level max can be detected, for any detector, even the one which scans at a max of 4 Ft like DBP2010 or XR71 ?
 :Smiley This is what I have understood.

It all depends on mass, smaller mass at short distance below ground level can be detected, if I receive signal for 420 CM scanning depth detector and if i do not find anything at around 6-12 inches then there may be a big treasure/ metal  below it   Shocked , is it so ?

Depth is arbitrary. When someone discusses depth, it doesn't always mean that every item can be detected at the maximum depth. Some items are just too small for depth detection beyond a few inches. A paint bucket full of coins might have enough mass to be detected at 2 feet while a ring certainly would not be detectable under those circumstances. Distances in air are different than distances through soil or sand. Lots of factors affect depth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59404.html#msg59404

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:57:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Golddigger,

This is understood now, my question is again that are there any chances of detection any mass if any MD is held from a distance of 6-12 inches above the ground level, I mean is it necessary to rub the MD near to the ground for any mass to detect ? My question now is not for mass but for detection. like for example can a bigger mass be detected 6 inches below ground level if MD is held 6 inches above ground level ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59515.html#msg59515

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:07:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some people like to do what is called "scrubbing" and hold the detector against the ground. Others leave it a couple of inches above the ground. When I have a hard to find target, I raise the coil until the signal goes very faint and pinpoint it that way.

The answer is yes, it is POSSIBLE to find and detect an object with the coil held above the ground but you must remember that you will miss the deeper, smaller targets that way.

Do you even own a metal detector? Have you never used one?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59516.html#msg59516

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rider Nope, I have never used one, I am planning to build DBP2010 or Sniffer XR71 as my first attempt which is hosted by Eugene or in the process of hosting yesterday. He has opened and a new thread for the same. I am awaiting his forthcoming attractions.

Thank you for helping me out. I thought that it just cannot detect under any circumstances if hold 6 inches above ground level. Thank you for helping me out.

Kind Regards,

HH aspardeshi
One more question, a request though,

Does speed of scanning matters in detection, like if I am scanning a large area with speed, will it detect ? I mean will there be a spike in the meter anyhow for bigger objects ?

I know it is difficult to answer as there are many factors depending on it. For this let us assume with smaller speed and a MD held 6 inches above ground level a object was detected, will it get detected at greater speed is my question ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59519.html#msg59519

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:36:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are two basic types of metal detector. A motion detector and a non motion detector. They come in all flavors. VLF/TR, BFO, PI, IB and other exotic combinations.

With a motion detector, a target is sensed as the coil moves over it and then drops to silent if you stop moving. With a non motion detector, the target remains loud as long as you are over it.

A target can be sensed in the air just as well and sometimes better than in the ground. Those who hunt in playgrounds often forget that when they go under a swing, they can detect the metal in the swing itself as a target. That target is above the coil. Sometimes people even forget that the edge of the coil can detect metal and when they wear shoes with metal eyelets, they find them with the edge of the coil. Steel toes in shoes are also a problem and some women's shoes have steel in the sole from the toe to the heel.

There's a lot for you to learn. I understand better now why you are asking questions like you are. In the future, you should let others here know that you don't yet have a machine. When you have one, you will have a lot revealed to you about how they work.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59520.html#msg59520

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 01:21:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD,

What type of detector DBP2010 or Sniffer XR71 ? Please let me know, I am very eager to hear. Thanks in advance.  Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59526.html#msg59526

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:41:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD,

What type of detector DBP2010 or Sniffer XR71 ? Please let me know, I am very eager to hear. Thanks in advance.  Rider

Just detectors in general, mate. I don't have either of the two machines you are interested in.

Aspardeshi, perhaps you should consider buying an inexpensive machine or renting one just to try it out. Look in the second hand shops to see what is out there. Perhaps there is a place you can buy one where you live. You really need to get your hands on something just so you can truly decide on your own what you really want.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59530.html#msg59530

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: