[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline tommybTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

91.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:45:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Has anyone mapped the changes in sensitivity of a detecting a small object using a coil wired in opposing polarities (two different conditions)? I would guess there should not be any detectable difference, but based on how the field would be collapsing, there may be a different peak field distribution and hence more sensitivity to smaller objects?

Thomas

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26458.msg185999.html#msg185999

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:02:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tommy, I am not really sure what you are asking here. A single, mono coil wrapped in the opposite direction to another coil will not make one bit of difference. What will make a difference is the orientation of any Faraday shielding on the coils. The left hand versus right hand field will still work the same as long as all other factors are taken into consideration.

A single coil with half of its windings split off and folded over will result in what is commonly called a Mono Double D configuration or if not folded over, a Figure Eight configuration. Characteristics of these babies will vary and experimentation is the best tool for learning. In other words, build a coil and try it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26458.msg186020.html#msg186020

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline alexismex
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Topo X1-V3
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:03:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In practicle use , you are right with PI  and mono coil  with deep target.... many times you have more detection  in one orientation (ej: north- south)  and in another  oreintation more less ...i have many times see this in  a test field ....
It is for that point  that  it is best to always  pass the coil  making a cross  when you are searching  with this method  you  will not loose any target !!!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26458.msg186033.html#msg186033

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

jun09pruebacampo.jpg

Offline tommybTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

91.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello - thanks all for the replies.
Based on the N/S vs E/W comment, does this imply that if the coil polarity were changed, the N/S sensitivity would flip with the E/W sensitivity? Or is there no difference at all if the polarity is swapped. This is not what I expected, but since I am just a newbie building my first MD, it something to try and explore a little more.
My assumption is that there is a possibility that the detection profile would change (shorter and squater vs deeper and more conical) but not rotate a lobe as described above. Maybe this lobe effect is created due to the field disruption of inner lead wires crossing over the coil from the center? What is the best (easiest) way to map the field in free air and get repeatable results?

Today I will build my first coil, wish me luck!

GoldDigger - which direction should the Faraday shield be wrapped? For example if the ground side lead of the coil is on the outer diameter and the coil is wrapped in a clockwise direction looking down on the coil, should the wrap go clockwise or counterclockwise and why? Does a mono coil really need a shield?

One more question, if the flyback voltage that is generated is really > a few hundred volts DC, how likely is arcing across the lacquer insulator of the magnet wire. Does anybody add extra insulation (tape) between the lead wires for example (assume highest voltage delta is between lead wires).

Thanks for the help in advance,
Tommy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26458.msg186120.html#msg186120

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by tommyb
GoldDigger - which direction should the Faraday shield be wrapped? For example if the ground side lead of the coil is on the outer diameter and the coil is wrapped in a clockwise direction looking down on the coil, should the wrap go clockwise or counterclockwise and why? Does a mono coil really need a shield?

One more question, if the flyback voltage that is generated is really > a few hundred volts DC, how likely is arcing across the lacquer insulator of the magnet wire. Does anybody add extra insulation (tape) between the lead wires for example (assume highest voltage delta is between lead wires).

There are two types of Faraday shield in use. One type wraps the entire coil with a single layer of very thin foil leaving about 5cm (2 inches) of open space near where the wires come out. The other is like lining a Frisbee and putting the coil below that.

The voltage can indeed be as high as 200v in a very short burst but will not harm the insulation. The current is miniscule.

Let me point something out to you here. Most of the detectors we discuss here have been built by one or more people. Some even use existing coils from older machines. While your questions are informative to you and other beginners, just remember that this is not the first time the models you are looking at have been built. They're not going to suddenly melt down on you. Build according to the plan and you will be fine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26458.msg186166.html#msg186166

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:03:40 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Rodrigo
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

133.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:12:03 am »
Go Up Go Down