[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 04:42:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
I mean  one electrical rubber insulated wire with 6 or 8 core wires , individually colorcoded and insulated  . Solder the wires together , one color to the other coler . Insulate with crimp insulation . Makes a nice coil .   Cornelius

I've never tried it but I can see how it would work as long as the internal wires are scatter collected and not twisted pairs. Even then, the coil impedance would be unpredictable so other circuit components would be needed to make it work. To save a few dollars might be important but the working detector could be far more important. If he wants to treat this as a game of "how cheaply can I do it," then he is on the right track. If he wants to be sure it will work, he needs to break out the pencil and paper to make some calculations before he decides to try the cheapest route. A coil of 1 meter in diameter is not a trivial item. Even a tiny miscalculation in the impedance can mean a difference of several meters of depth lost.

Inventiveness and craftiness in fixing or repairing a car out in the desert is not anywhere near an equivalent to building electronics circuits. Somehow the people here building these things have decided that they can do it without an iota of electronics knowledge or skill and rely on others here to answer their questions. I guarantee he will take your answer and build a coil using his 'free' ADSL wire and come back later asking why it didn't work. Anyone with a background in electronics will know exactly why it didn't work and he will find it nearly impossible to understand the explanation later after he was given the advice of just soldering the ends together. In a nutshell, the twisted pair arrangement in ADSL wire will cause it to fail miserably. That's not a maybe. That's how the cable was designed.

He needs to use bell wire or heating/cooling control wire. He can also use some types of alarm system wire as long as they are not twisted pair wires. That's very important, Cornelius.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9992.msg63235.html#msg63235

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands
Referrals: 0

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 05:11:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your remark about having to have some  ( I would say a lot ) of knowledge about electronics and the building of metal- detectors is a must before you want to build anything worthwile . It is too bad that I have to read too many posts of people that have no incling about what it is all about . Too many of the members think that building a  meteal detector is the same as changing sparks-plugs in a car .  I don't know how to tell these people what it is all about . It took me many years to be able to understand what I was doing .  How do I tell these guys that they should not attempt to build anything unless they know what they are talking about .  Beats me !!!!   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9992.msg63237.html#msg63237

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:48:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius, I guess we just do what we have been doing. I admire people who are willing to do anything at all by giving it a try but sometimes they have to realize their limitations. Asking advice is good but there is a whole weeks worth of teaching, 8 hours a day, just to teach someone the basics of coils and designing them. Not to mention the knowledge they must have before they start a design. Somehow they think that just wrapping wire in a circle is all it takes. You're right. It beats me, too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9992.msg63247.html#msg63247

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Tuxnor
Bronze Member

Thank you9

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden
Referrals: 0

227.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Xp Deus V3.2 ,Garrett at gold , Whites GMT,Whites surf pi silverdog UK clone,Trevor Hill gold pic 3,Deltapulse,Garys pulse-2
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Detector Pro Headhunter Pulse coil work great for me on my Delta Pulse,,,3 years  no problem,,no heating
sensitive...could be more sensitive on gold but that is a configuration case (will be tuning DP this winter for max gold)

Please Register or Login

Delta pulse metalldetektor tuning.MOV

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9992.msg236771.html#msg236771

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: