[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline pccvanwilder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 04:09:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

cornelius,

i have no problem encouraging and even helping people at times from research i have done. as mainly a pirate buff, the one pirate i have done the most research on is gaspar. in the past month i have even been assembling a team of people to check out some areas that have been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to still have treasure... and giving away that information would make 100+ hours to obtain maps, articles, coins found, and contacts worthless to give it to someone else.

you had never even expressed interest in this treasure though... so not exactly sure how this particular story or the information i said i may be willing to give to the guy (who originally asked for it) affects you in any way. if you had expressed interest in a particular story by posting a question yourself, and i said i may be willing to give you personal information that had cost me a lot, as opposed to giving it to everyone on here... i dont think it would bother you too much. so let me help him with what he asked without giving the world all my information.

p.s. this site is pretty cool

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg59463.html#msg59463

Offline buff
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:31:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

The low town on Cara pelo is a nasty place!  The pepper trees are darn thick, and the skeeters were ridiculous. 

I may have heard some of the same Gaspar and Gasparilla stories as the rest of you.  Are there any really good sources of info that anyone can share with me?  I have spent some time web-searching and at the library.  All of the "written" stories seem to go right back to the railroad publications of 1905, with some minor differences in the telling.  I'm also looking for info on the Charlotte Harbor "Burnt Store".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg91015.html#msg91015

Offline Jeff K
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 10:56:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

I received an email about nine years ago from someone who claimed  his great great grandfather owned a fish factory on Boca Grande. He would point to a spot in the water, and tell his kids, "that's where Gasparilla's ship went down." I figured that had to be around 1850, so the legend goes back farther than most think.

About five years ago there was an item on eBay that was interesting. It was an Irish weekly or monthly magazine dated 1848 or 49 as I recall. It was a story about the pirate Jose Gaspar. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the magazine, but remember it was published in Dublin. I saved a copy of the listing, but lost it when I bought a new computer. I would have bid on it, but the starting price was $100. There was one bid. I'm not sure if that article was fiction or non-fiction, but either way it could have been the source of the legend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg104471.html#msg104471

Florida's Fabulous Treasures

Please Register or Login

www.treasurelore.com

Offline lookinferbootyTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

235.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Safari & the Garrett 250
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well since I started this thread, I thought I should give you an update.  I have been searching very hard for some of the treasure said to be in my area and I have found a few pieces of melted silver.  These were found from the shore line to about 200 feet from the shoreline.  The only conclusion I can come to is that they were on a ship that caught on fire or exploded.  I don't know, but they are pretty cool and I they are all I have to show for my hard work, along with a few rings.  I would love to hook up with someone close by or someone visiting the area to help cover more area.  I have permission to search a really hot spot for relics here but it is so remote I do not want to go alone.  Everything down here is very rough terrain and very remote.  I know where the hot beaches are down here too.  I have found NO ONE down here that really know what they are doing which is good for me.  These old farts down here can't take the heat and can't cover a lot of area and the visitors are overwhelm by the humidity and can't take staying out.  I have seen no one down here they even knows how to swing their detectors or how to "work" an area.  Just the other day I was working an area and had another T-Hunter walk up to me and talk with me for about 20 minutes.  The guy had the same detector I use, Minelab Safari, and after he walked away and I continued to work my "grid", I found a channel set diamond wedding band under the footprints he made while talking with me.  So just because "someone says" its been searched and it may have been don't ever give up.  I like to think that I am better at what I'm doing than the "part timers" who visit down here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg104804.html#msg104804

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSC04127.jpg
DSC04292.jpg
DSC04303.jpg
DSC04566.jpg
E Beach South.jpg

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:42:00 pm by lookinferbooty »

Freedom IS NOT free!  Have you thanked a Veteran today?

Offline Marisa Hennessey
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

15.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 64.0.3282.186
Chrome 64.0.3282.186

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 10:56:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Posted on: March 10, 2018, 10:56:45 pm
Our team has been researching Jose Gaspar for a few years and recently came across some new information.  I would really like to speak with some of you further.  Dell, are you willing to exchange email addresses?    

Thanks, Marisa H.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg323762.html#msg323762

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:02:56 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
5%
Male
Australia

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 52.0
Firefox 52.0

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 03:21:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Marisa Hennessey

Posted on: March 10, 2018, 10:56:45 pm
Our team has been researching Jose Gaspar for a few years and recently came across some new information.  I would really like to speak with some of you further.  Dell, are you willing to exchange email addresses?    

Thanks, Marisa H.  

Dell not been on the forum for some time.
his last post was in 2012.
send him a PM you may get an answer

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg323766.html#msg323766

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline Veritas
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Safari 11.0
Safari 11.0

Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I just started looking into Gaspar, all of what I’ve found has been very interesting. The only thing is, do we have any concrete evidence of his existence?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5580.msg323768.html#msg323768

Offline Marisa Hennessey
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

15.00 Gold
View Inventory