[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline kevin1Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Anyone out there used one of these? A search of Youtube will reveal several vids about it. Yeah, I know it's probably overpriced considering the simplicity of it's construction, but so are many of the other prospecting tools I've bought. The vids of it in action were so compelling , and the online reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, that I just had to have one. I'll be test driving it with an old friend shortly in Northern Indiana, where the pickings are slim and hard to come by, and I'll post a review here afterward.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg260954.html#msg260954

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually Kevin the only parts of it that readily available are the main bucket and the inner bucket.  Everything else would have to be made to spec. to fit inside.  Considering all that less than a "C" note is a pretty good price.  Now that our weather around here has dried and warmed up I have to get out and give mine a shot at the gold they say isn't here.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261148.html#msg261148

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck finding Gold Gramps43 , keep us up-dated on your success . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261193.html#msg261193

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 08:34:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Looks like fun. Let us know how well it works.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261199.html#msg261199

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:46:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Went out the other day with da bucket but all did was prove that until I stabilize my knees, with out that all I do is stumble around and fall on my butt at least it wasn't in the water.  The bucket seemed to work as advertised classifying and flushing the bigger stuff out of the bowl but alas no yella stuff in the bottom.  Next time I'm heading to the beach to see how it'll work there.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261321.html#msg261321

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It arrived yesterday, I've got some paydirt samples I can run through it to test it out, will post a report shortly. Granted, this won't be an accurate substitute for a field test with a shovel, but at least I will be able to see if it's classifying ability is verified. The bucket will be placed into a high sided pan while processing to catch anything that may escape, all offal will be run through a 4' drop riffle sluice to catch anything missed.

Posted on: July 12, 2013, 12:36:53 PM
Results from the backyard first test drive.

Allow me to preface this review with the disclaimer that this was not a pick and shovel field test.

Equipment used:

Gold Rush Nugget Bucket System.
High Sided tote to contain water and catch offal, GRNB mounted above the rim of the tote.
Water with Jet Dry added to restrain micros.
10" standard finishing pan.
Concentrate separator. (Couldn't use 4' drop riffle sluice after all, but concentrate separator is same design.)
Classifier screens. (20,30-50,100 mesh.)
Paydirt sample from known gold producing source.

Preparations:

GNRB mounted to tote and leveled.
Water and Jet Dry added to tote in quantity sufficient to allow use of the GNRB bucket for washing the sample.

The beginning process:

1) Following the manufacturers instructions the sample was added to the top classifying screen, then washed with several buckets of the water.
2) Catch cup was observed to ensure that a fluid bed environment was being generated, it was.
3) Three scoops were processed with the provided Fiskars trowel in the described manner above.
4) Sample cup was removed.
5) Sample was water washed through the classifying screens reducing the sample to the described mesh sizes.
6) Classifier screens were separated by size, washed into separate cups, and observed.

The verdict.

The sample was verified to contain gold before testing, no gold above 8 mesh was present in the sample material.

Sample was panned with 10" standard finishing pan. While I'm not a world class panner, I don't miss much.

Final sample contained approximately 15-20 sub 1/16" flakes, but the offal in the tote contained visible trace gold.

No gold smaller than 16 mesh was captured other than extremely tiny micros.

Results of the tote clean up:

Offal was recovered from the tote and classified.

After processing with the concentrate separator the cup containing sub 100 mesh had tons of micros, expected for the material used. Sub 100 mesh yield could be discounted since the majority of prospectors do not expend the effort to recover it, and I don't have a shaker table.

The 100 mesh cup contained a substantial amount of micros.

The 50 mesh cup contained approximately 2/3 the micros volume of the 100 mesh.

The 30 mesh cup contained approximately 1/2 the micros of the 50 mesh.

The 20 mesh cup contained almost no gold other than a tiny flake (Approx. 1/32")

Conclusion:

The GRNB, in this decidedly unscientific test, performed as expected with regard to separating gold from paydirt, though the small granular size of the material filled the sample cup rather quickly. There was, however, sufficient grain size variance to create the fluid bed environment. The abundance of micros in the sample also inhibited my ability to pan the finished sample effectively, requiring the concentrate separator to properly reduce the sample. Nearly all gold less than 16 mesh evaded the GNRB, though in fairness the concentrator missed the sub 20 mesh micros as well. I live in Indiana, where the only gold is glacially deposited placers, so the GNRB, other than functioning as a rapid reducing method, might not be suited to my general use. Nuggets larger than 1/4" are not commonly encountered here, so the offal from the GNRB would have to be captured via a secondary containment and further reduced after the outing. All in all I'm inclined to think that for me it would be better utilized as a sampling method than for actual production level processing, though leveling it properly in the field could prove challenging. I do feel that it will be of value to me to speed up my field sampling compared to panning, and I don't regret buying it, nor do I plan to return it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261344.html#msg261344

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:12:32 pm by kevin1 »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:44:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the reviewl. It bears more scrutiny.

Here is the manufacturer's description of how it works.

Please Register or Login

http://www.goldrushnuggetbucket.com/how-gold-panning-works

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261364.html#msg261364

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Preclassifying the material before processing might yield a better result, grains of similar size can have widely different specific gravities. The classifiers in the GRNB are fairly coarse, the smallest of the two is about 8 mesh. The one thing that gives me pause there is the flow rate of the device, it cannot be modified other than restricting the orifice diameter. If a smaller nozzle were to be dropped into the orifice to reduce the flow rate then perhaps smaller mesh size particles could be more efficiently separated, while still preserving the fluid bed state. It would be similar to switching from a Hungarian Riffle style sluice to a Drop Riffle, the two use widely different flow rates.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261394.html#msg261394

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:14:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your review. Interesting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg261396.html#msg261396

Offline KaleMack
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 31.0
Firefox 31.0

Awards

Metal detectors
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:58:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, I think the nugget bucket is pretty easy to use and efficient for smaller-scale

Please Register or Login

gold prospecting
. If you want to move a lot of material, I'd say this would take much longer to use than say, a

Please Register or Login

trommel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47418.msg281973.html#msg281973

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: