[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gardnsherTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,

I found a bag of rocks at our local salvation army, inside was a big hunk of peacock ore. I tested it with my gold testing kit and it keeps coming up positive for gold? The bag also had a few chunks of "fools gold" that tested negative for gold. I have been a "fool" in the past so I thought I would ask a few more questions,  does fools gold test positive for gold? If it is gold how do you get the gold out of the rock?  The whole bag of rocks only cost me $5. I do have a metal detector, just sometimes I have better luck at the salvation army.
Thanks for your help

Sherry

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16000.msg102735.html#msg102735

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

HPIM1486.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:08:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yes, gold can be associated with bornite (peacock ore), but I rather doubt if there is anywhere near enough recoverable gold to make it worth your effort to extract it from that small sample.   You'd be better off keeping the sample intact as a reminder for when you are in the field.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16000.msg102742.html#msg102742

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:24:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Or, for kicks and giggles you could spend the time crushing it and then pan it oh so carefully. To much work that tiny amount for me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16000.msg105470.html#msg105470

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If this was a repeatable find, as in you found a seam of this rock that went for miles along the ground, then an assay to determine the gold content per ton would reveal if it was a viable and profitable seam of lode gold. Otherwise, as has been said here already, it's simply not a huge profit to remove it from its ore. Crushing gold in a stamping mill is the way that the gold is extracted. Sometimes the rock is boiled away using acid. Other times the gold is amalgamated with mercury and later the mercury is removed using a retort system. Both are dangerous to humans nearby so have to be done in controlled environments.

Because of the current prices of gold, formerly rejected ore seams are being reevaluated for profitability. In days gone by, an or that assayed at $3.00 per ton was rejected as being a non paying assay. Today, that same or contains $12.00 per ton or more making it very much a paying mine.

If you have access to a university, ask the geology department if they can tell you the source of your ore. They can normally narrow it down to a region which you can explore (called prospecting by many of us). Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16000.msg105617.html#msg105617

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think a specific gravity test may be the best road to take with your sample. I would keep it as a sample rock as it would hold the most value  in this form to a collector also looks nice, good buy     Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16000.msg111261.html#msg111261

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: