[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 09:20:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gotta love sound investments, go gold go! Just hoping no one gets a bright idea to lock it down again. Platinum was really high a few months back, thinking it was over 1900 at one point iirc

I hope to be out there in the woods all next summer so it's preperation this fall and winter

I built a seperator this year from a 4 foot chunk of non perforated drain tile pipe 8$, some scrap plywood, and a 20$ pond pump. I use a 5 gallon bucket and recirculate the water. Since its a closed system I can keep cycling to recover a higher percentage of fines

I also got some of those garrett pans with the aggressive gravity trap, those are pretty sweet. While the shoulder does get sore still, I can run a lot more concentrates faster but with the same effort.

One of my other projects for extreme backcountry stream extraction is a hydraulic shovel. Basically a big syringe. About 20$ worth of parts from the home improvement store.

Also have a 12v vibration drywasher in the works since here in summer a lot of the streams are dry.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg57832.html#msg57832

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P6130044.jpg
P6130046.jpg
P6130047.jpg

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 07:48:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

That looks pretty good Jones. Will you post a pic of the separator when it is complete?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg57877.html#msg57877

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sure thing Salvor, it is complete and ran a good bit this summer. I'll grab some pix this morning since it looks nice out  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg57884.html#msg57884

Offline Mark_NC
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 10:00:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by salvor6
That looks pretty good Jones. Will you post a pic of the separator when it is complete?

You can Google "poop tube" there are lots of plans floating around. One that does not include a recirculating pump installs a water valve into a bucket that sits above the pipe. It allows you to recirculate the water without hauling a battery to your site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg57892.html#msg57892

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep Mark there are some great ideas out there, all the ones I build are from things I have seen somewhere. Most of the time I do all my seperating at the house so I can spend all my field time collecting concentrates so power is less of an issue. Some of the places I go even carrying a bucket can be inconvienient so I agree less is best Cheesy

The whole issue of stopping people from using public lands is about diminishing our numbers till we can be shut completely out. I figure if I cant use a dredge I will use something else but I will still be out there. And when its no longer legal I will go where they cant see me  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg57940.html#msg57940

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:35:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
Gotta love sound investments, go gold go! Just hoping no one gets a bright idea to lock it down again. Platinum was really high a few months back, thinking it was over 1900 at one point iirc

I hope to be out there in the woods all next summer so it's preparation this fall and winter

I built a seperator this year from a 4 foot chunk of non perforated drain tile pipe 8$, some scrap plywood, and a 20$ pond pump. I use a 5 gallon bucket and recirculate the water. Since its a closed system I can keep cycling to recover a higher percentage of fines

I also got some of those garrett pans with the aggressive gravity trap, those are pretty sweet. While the shoulder does get sore still, I can run a lot more concentrates faster but with the same effort.

One of my other projects for extreme backcountry stream extraction is a hydraulic shovel. Basically a big syringe. About 20$ worth of parts from the home improvement store.

Also have a 12v vibration drywasher in the works since here in summer a lot of the streams are dry.

Looks like a yabbee pump! (ask GoldDigger1950, what a yabbee is,) a few years ago, you could get them just about anywhere. Pumps that is, not yabbees. A yabbee is like a crawdad. (Crayfish!)  Kiss

Yummmm!

I have a couple of fold-up Photo-voltaics, that look like a large, thin, plastic brief case. Each developes about 18 volts and close to 1 amp.  US price, I have noted, is about $90 each, and I got them for about $40 Can. I have 3, which will give about 3 amps total. I have never combined them yet, as I need  some Schottky, 1 or 5 amp, diodes, to prevent leakage back through any that is slightly shaded.  One, in bright sunlight will just barely run a Desert Fox water pump.  Shocked

The best way, to use these, is with a small (acid type) battery, like a lawn tractor battery.... the battery supplies peak current, while the panel charges the battery, during low use times. I was playing with this, 2 yrs ago, and tore a muscle, in my left shoulder, lifting the battery. OW! So lift intelligently (I did not.)   Lips Sealed

I bought a trap pan, 2 yrs ago... it is Hell, trying to get the fine gold out of the trap, so I decided a small squirt bottle, like the the gold snifters, would work. Never tried it yet because last summer I bought a plastic, NON-trap pan!  Grin

I re-designed my Desert Fox to take a small pail, right in the box that carries the works, plus a plastic piece to carry away waste, I have not tried it yet, because it is semi-winter, now. Now I want to design a light, tubing rack, to hold 3 of the brief-case voltaics, so I have some power, out on the gravel bar. I have designed it to recirculate, but excess water will go to a 5 gal. pail, which will also hold the concentrates. the whole thing, less PV panels and battery, weighs less than 10kg/22lbs.

Another idea, that I have been kicking around is a floating paddle wheel, running an auto type alternator, not complicated, with the right control, it can be made to go out IN the stream, where the best flow is. I have a little oil patch engineers book, that has all kinds of data and formulas, so in it is a formula for paddle wheel power! The formula uses square feet area, of paddle and water speed. Handy book.

The good thing about PV or paddle wheels (or wind) is the quiet! No-one will know you are there and you can hear THEM coming!

Yabbee pump? I made one from a simple, sink plunger pump, by adding a tube, to suck up the sand and small gravel. Drywasher? Can not work, here.... too wet, in this semi-arid region.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg58001.html#msg58001

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:41:42 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 10:03:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger I had the same issue with the gravity pans at first. Then this year I bought a kit from Garrett for my son which had three sizes of pans. If you work them in series using the agrressive trap to do the heavy work, then flush the concentrate into the medium pan and when all you have left is black sand drop to the small pan to finish they work great.

I would suggest using a generator instead of an alternator on the water wheel. Alternators have to reach a certain rpm before supplying power which might be hard to reach unless you have a big setup. I have often thought about a water wheel but here even those are forbidden as a fish might get in one. At least for the common folk, hydroelectric dams are all the rage here so go figure....

I saw a unit some Japanese scientists were working on that generated from wave motion. Always thought that might be a good source too.
Solar power is awsome except for the cost of setup. Been a lot of new technology changes that should bring the cost down and efficiency up.

Anything I need a battery for I let my truck carry it  Grin

I live on the edge of the high plains desert and forested mountains so its drywasher for the desert and sluice for the forest Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg58059.html#msg58059

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 02:21:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
goldigger I had the same issue with the gravity pans at first. Then this year I bought a kit from Garrett for my son which had three sizes of pans. If you work them in series using the agrressive trap to do the heavy work, then flush the concentrate into the medium pan and when all you have left is black sand drop to the small pan to finish they work great.

I would suggest using a generator instead of an alternator on the water wheel. Alternators have to reach a certain rpm before supplying power which might be hard to reach unless you have a big setup. I have often thought about a water wheel but here even those are forbidden as a fish might get in one. At least for the common folk, hydroelectric dams are all the rage here so go figure....

I saw a unit some Japanese scientists were working on that generated from wave motion. Always thought that might be a good source too.
Solar power is awsome except for the cost of setup. Been a lot of new technology changes that should bring the cost down and efficiency up.

Anything I need a battery for I let my truck carry it  Grin

I live on the edge of the high plains desert and forested mountains so its drywasher for the desert and sluice for the forest Smiley

Aggressive trap! That is about right. What I have done, in the past is pan until I see garnets and/or black sand starting to show, then I flush it into a 5 gallon pail (25 liter,) which I sit on, the rest of the time. When this gets stagger-full, I lug it off to camp and may even concentrate more, later. This concentrate, I take home to process down to pure gold. I almost never wash it down to the gold, on the bar, unless I want to see what is there.

It is almost never dry enough to use a drywasher, here, even though we only have about 25 inches of precip/year. Most of it falls in the summer. One winter, I kept track of snowfall, and it managed to reach about 9 feet total, from October to April, even though it was never more than 20 in. deep at any one time. 9 feet of snow does not make much water.

An alternator can operate down to about 400 to 450 RPM, same with a generator... How about an under-water (thereby invisible,) caged prop? IF you can get the torque, you can increase speed with pulley ratios. The old style regulators (or a home-made,) can set the output volts to compensate for the low speed.

How about a small wind generator? Surely that is not verboten?

Has anyone on the forum had piggy flu yet?? I have (hack, hack.) I had it in 1949, as a kid, I had it in 1979, and just had it again, very mildly. Can one catch it from email?

In 1918, my grandma toasted the mail, in the oven.... I do not think it would work for email.

The wave power generator would be fine for a semi-permanent camp, say for the summer, and if you can access tidal water, you could rig a float and generator  that works on the same principal as the weight in a Grandfather clock! Rewind 2 times per day!

One thing.... photovoltaics have no moving parts!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6892.msg58144.html#msg58144

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: