[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ksightlerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For thousands of years mineralized quartz veins and exposed ore bodies have been shedding rich float before the old-timers ever discovered them.  Due to vast amounts of weathering, many of these veins have now weathered out and formed hillside (eluvial) and stream (alluvial) deposits.  Many of the hillsides around idle rich gold mines may be dotted with gold ore and nuggets.  Today's detector technology, including the new Pulse Induction (PI) units can find pieces of gold down to the size of a match head.  With the use of a quality metal detector, prospectors can now increase gold finds by covering more area in a shorter amount of time.

Due to a high specific gravity of gold and millions of years of erosion and concentration, gold nuggets found the lowest possible place to rest.  Most of the time, these areas were drainages, and the old-timers conducted most of their working within them.  They dug down and exposed the rich pay layers of gravel at or near bedrock.  In arid desert regions such as the Southwest, drywashers were used the most.  The old-timers processed these rich pay streaks of gravel through crude drywashers.  Due to inconsistent air flow, poor design and overloading resulted in poor recovery. Some reports say the old-timers lost more than 50% of the values they processed.

Many of these drywasher tailing piles still contain sizable gold nuggets that can be recovered with modern day metal detectors. Many of the drywashers used half-inch minus hopper screens, so anything larger was discarded and formed coarse tailing piles.  Many of these drywasher spoil (tailing) piles are still waiting for a detectorist to find them!! 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg44955.html#msg44955

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:39:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Should you ever find a nugget in a ravine or a depression, after your stop shouting and screaming in celebration, it's time to use that noggin to figure out where it came from. As you say in your post, the gold had to settle down from somewhere. This is where old survey maps are essential. Everybody wants the latest maps and that's always a good idea but the old maps will show you where topographic lines have changed. Locate where you found the nugget and look uphill. Yes. I said uphill.

Look on your map to see where the headlands - for lack of a better term - for your ravine or depression. That's where the gold came from and where you will find more. It's even better if the old map shows a change in the topographic profiles. That means a shift in the ground nearby which can mean a brand new vein has been exposed at best or a small pocket of nuggets has burbled down from the area which was eroded since the last survey map. The old geodetic survey maps are available from the US Coast and Geodetic Survey repository site. They may be available from the US government offices but I'm not sure. I'll post the URL in my next topic on this forum so as not to mess up the contractions I used in this post.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45533.html#msg45533

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 05:39:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is the URL I promised.

Please Register or Login

http://www.usgs.gov/

And a useful archive site for the San Francisco Bay Area.

Please Register or Login

http://maps.sfei.org/tsheets/viewer.htm?gclid=CNO68Ly3uJwCFRUwpAod2iSnuA

Enjoy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45535.html#msg45535

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:41:57 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey GD,
Something I noticed in studing satellite images ( combo of x band and p band) is that if you zoom in on these images the resolution gets very bad. However, what really jumps out is old ravines, old river channels, old creek beds pop out. Check this out it is really amazing.So with this said this could be used as a tool to find areas where more nuggets could be found. If you uncover alot of nuggets using this idea and did not know this, just remember you heard it here.

Findoldstuff (I did-today- but will talk about that later)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45555.html#msg45555

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello ksightler,Goldigger1950 and findoldstuff !! We pretty much know what Metal Detector is the best for finding small gold and covering large areas , and we are learning about satellite images /google maps etc... The last and only problem is how to quickly retrieve/extract the thousands of small flakes/tiny gold nuggetts in a dry desert environment ? I mentioned this several months ago on this forum . So any suggestions are very welcome !!!
Best Regards........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45563.html#msg45563

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Eugene-
I hate to answer a question with a question but I am in needle in a hay stack situation trying to think outside of the mine shaft box.  But here goes- What sets gold apart from other minerals- we know the magnetic frequency response- that leaves micro frequency- dyne levels- conductivity- there must be another property that gold gives off- I know micro frequency - what the heck are you talking about- replies that I am in store for. In a dry situation sand falls in a if you will the norm micron. I swear I am on no medication. Maybe thats the problem. HAHA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45565.html#msg45565

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:12:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Hello Eugene-
I hate to answer a question with a question but I am in needle in a hay stack situation trying to think outside of the mine shaft box.  But here goes- What sets gold apart from other minerals- we know the magnetic frequency response- that leaves micro frequency- dyne levels- conductivity- there must be another property that gold gives off- I know micro frequency - what the heck are you talking about- replies that I am in store for. In a dry situation sand falls in a if you will the norm micron. I swear I am on no medication. Maybe thats the problem. HAHA

Hello findoldstuff . Everything is great !!! Thank-You for your work on the forum here !! You stated Satellites can now find Old Ravines , Old river channels , old Creek beds and automatically I thought "oh no" they are Dried up with no water , that means dry panning !! I heard you can loose more gold dry-panning than gold panning in a "water filled river" . Is that true ? So my question is , will dry panning retrieve all the Gold flakes/small gold nuggetts ? And I read the resonance of Gold was calculated at 2 MHZ [mega-hertz] not 2 khz !! .....Yes , sorry to say we are both sober and drug free on this Great forum !!!!
Best Regards............Eugene 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45569.html#msg45569

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 02:18:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Eugene52
Hello findoldstuff . Everything is great !!! Thank-You for your work on the forum here !! You stated Satellites can now find Old Ravines , Old river channels , old Creek beds and automatically I thought "oh no" they are Dried up with no water , that means dry panning !! I heard you can loose more gold dry-panning than gold panning in a "water filled river" . Is that true ? So my question is , will dry panning retrieve all the Gold flakes/small gold nuggetts ? And I read the resonance of Gold was calculated at 2 MHZ [mega-hertz] not 2 khz !! .....Yes , sorry to say we are both sober and drug free on this Great forum !!!!
Best Regards............Eugene 

Eugene52;

That is interesting, apparently ice has a microwave frequency resonance and so can be tracked from satellite... it stands to reason anybody could do the same with gold, from a few feet, in that case, and I think you just gave me an idea on how to it!! Thanks! now I have to go play.... lets see, where did I put that darn solder iron?   Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45675.html#msg45675

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 05:46:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Everything has a resonant frequency but some are tied both to the molecular structure and the shape. The rule of thumb is, the resonant frequency is only a sure thing in a substance that has a crystalline form and it must be in crystalline form. Quartz rock, for example, has no resonant frequency but quartz crystal does. Gold is the same. As a nugget, nothing. As crystalline gold, yes.

That's in nature. Pure gold in ingot form has one but that's kind of useless unless you're trying to find Fort Knox by satellite.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg45707.html#msg45707

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Diggsall
MachinistMan
Pull Tab

???
MachinistMan
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Self Modded sd2200v2 (Frankenstein)  Whites MXT (BleepBlipBang)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:51:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A cubic yard of gold bearing material will fill 300 gold pans. A fast panner can go thru this in a day and a half...maybe...if he/she is not doing the actual digging. My metal detector scans this same volume of material (for pencil eraser size gold) in about 6 seconds. Thats right SIX seconds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7264.msg47907.html#msg47907

Buying a test nugget is bad luck...you didnt...did you??

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: