[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline b79Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines
Referrals: 0

315.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

pendulum, tm808, gemini3, gold bug
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:03:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

im new with gold panning and sluice.

i went prospecting in one small river. it happened that the water were high the night before and i there were lots of black sand just setting on top of the sand bar and another layer of black sand after three inches of yellow sand. as i scraped and clean it, i can see tiny shinning specks. i had about half gallon and weight maybe 8kilos.

there were lots of pyrite flakes. at first i thought its gold but it did not sink to the bottom of the pan instead sits at the top and easily got carried by small water current.

i did not find any gold but i believe there are micron gold in the black sand. im using a plastic pan with one very tiny blow hole. it is interesting to note that this very tiny blow hole was filled with gold. the gold fitted very well in it (as if it was molded in ) that i cnt take it out using my finger.

this river also has accumulated clay and other green gray stuff. there's a sizable amount of green gray clay at the upstream end of the sandbar. could gold be trap in the clay?

one small stream leading to it is giving off a reddish yellow liquid. could this be rust from iron?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg47428.html#msg47428

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

mud and green-grey clay.jpg
redish-brown stream.jpg
sandbar.jpg

got their digging tools! sooner or later the buried loot:}

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by b79
im new with gold panning and sluice.

i went prospecting in one small river. it happened that the water were high the night before and i there were lots of black sand just setting on top of the sand bar and another layer of black sand after three inches of yellow sand. as i scraped and clean it, i can see tiny shinning specks. i had about half gallon and weight maybe 8kilos.

there were lots of pyrite flakes. at first i thought its gold but it did not sink to the bottom of the pan instead sits at the top and easily got carried by small water current.

i did not find any gold but i believe there are micron gold in the black sand. im using a plastic pan with one very tiny blow hole. it is interesting to note that this very tiny blow hole was filled with gold. the gold fitted very well in it (as if it was molded in ) that i cnt take it out using my finger.

this river also has accumulated clay and other green gray stuff. there's a sizable amount of green gray clay at the upstream end of the sandbar. could gold be trap in the clay?

one small stream leading to it is giving off a reddish yellow liquid. could this be rust from iron?

b79;

Yes, small grains and nuggets can get trapped in clay,

Re the picture of the bar, is that looking upstream or downstream?

Go to the upstream end and if there are rocks, dig some gravel and wash it, but if there are no rocks, go farther upstream, until  you find rocks.

The picture with the black sand has rocks! dig some of that gravel, and try it. If there is that much black sand there might be some coarser gold in with the rocks.

I am taking another look.... There are a bunch of dark green rocks, there,  that is one thing to look for.

You are going to find some gold!  Shocked

I have a fancy BLUE plastic gold pan with a big trap, in the back, bottom. I t traps gold, alright, and its hard to get out.... here are some suggestions:  Cool

1) a plastic bottle with a pointy nozzle, you squeeze it and suck up the gold, some are made, just for this but a hair-dye bottle works;  Kiss
2) carefully squirt water in the hole and wash the fine gold out;
3) a toothpick with something sticky on the end, like honey??  Shocked

If you press on it, it can wedge in, and you never get it out, but it will keep more from sticking in there.

See..... I found the prospecting forum.... without getting too lost.

The iron creek must run where there is a deposit of iron or some old rusting war relics.

The gray clay IS strange, never seen it before, I have seen a bright orange clay that looked like grease.... mostly  iron.

Good pictures!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg48044.html#msg48044

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:56:22 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Golddigger and B
Thats GD with 2 d's haha= Look -I have read a magnet can pull the black sand- haven't tried it but just thought I would suggest it- also when gold is trapped with blacke sand one needs to careful because mercury is also normally present.
FindOldSuff

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg48057.html#msg48057

Offline b79Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

315.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:13:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger,

thanks for the comments.

the sand is is looking downstream and farther down about 100mtrs is the body of another river. this is perpendicular to that river. and yes there are lots of big and small rocks at the upstream end of the sand bar.

we were done separating the black sand thru electro magnet. i was introduced by a good friend to a kind and generous gentleman who has a little machine shop and was into electroplating. its all improvised gadget...he a got the magnet from  a junk car aircon compressor made some electrical connection. its very strong and can be turn on and off with ease.

now we are making a crucible, from a piece of used high alumina furnace bricks. drilling and machining to make it like a bowl where we will smelt our mixture of selected sand and borax. the bricks is very hard. we are now in our 2nd day of machining.  i think we will be able to fire it today using acetylene torch.

im sorry i dnt take any pictures because my action might be misunderstood. perhaps  later when i gain his trust.

one more exciting thing happened, a piece of little white nugget appeared from the black sand materials were separating. it has a little shade of yellow in one side.

will keep you posted.

thanks again and Godbless

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg48085.html#msg48085

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

5mtr upstream fr sandbar.jpg
black sand 008.jpg
inside bend.jpg

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:09:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by b79
goldigger,

thanks for the comments.

the sand is is looking downstream and farther down about 100mtrs is the body of another river. this is perpendicular to that river. and yes there are lots of big and small rocks at the upstream end of the sand bar.

we were done separating the black sand thru electro magnet. i was introduced by a good friend to a kind and generous gentleman who has a little machine shop and was into electroplating. its all improvised gadget...he a got the magnet from  a junk car aircon compressor made some electrical connection. its very strong and can be turn on and off with ease.

now we are making a crucible, from a piece of used high alumina furnace bricks. drilling and machining to make it like a bowl where we will smelt our mixture of selected sand and borax. the bricks is very hard. we are now in our 2nd day of machining.  i think we will be able to fire it today using acetylene torch.

im sorry i dnt take any pictures because my action might be misunderstood. perhaps  later when i gain his trust.

one more exciting thing happened, a piece of little white nugget appeared from the black sand materials were separating. it has a little shade of yellow in one side.

will keep you posted.

thanks again and Godbless

b79;

The picture you titled "inside bend," looks like a good spot and the "5 mtr upstream from sandbar" looks just as good or better. Those BIG rocks could have nuggets around them or just fine gold, depending on what is in that river. Dig some stuff, right at the big rock (any big rock) and take it mostly from the downstream side. Incidentally, if you do not find any gold around the big rocks, then go somewhere else.

You can capture fine gold (so small you can not see it) by bubbling chlorine gas through the wet concentrate. But do NOT breath it in! The gold chloride dissolves in the water and can be precipitated by another metal that chlorine prefers to bond with. It is a messy process, and only useful if you have hundreds of kgs of black sand.  You can get chlorine gas in canisters or you can make it from sea water.

It is a lot safer to use than mercury or Cyanide gas, Cyanide will also dissolve fine gold but one misuse and you are dead! Period, end of story!

If you want to know how to make chlorine gas, Google it.  I accidentally made some, onetime, choke, choke!

I was using lye to dissolve the lead from my concentrate, and not thinking, added some bleach.... instant green gas!   Shocked

The little white nugget with the yellow, sounds like platinum or a gold alloy... a good sign! Platinum can be weakly magnetic! So be careful with the magnet.

Go for the boulders!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg48445.html#msg48445

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:13:22 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:24:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Hey Golddigger and B
Thats GD with 2 d's haha= Look -I have read a magnet can pull the black sand- haven't tried it but just thought I would suggest it- also when gold is trapped with blacke sand one needs to careful because mercury is also normally present.
FindOldSuff

I only use one d.... yes, if there is, or mercury HAS been used, in sluice boxes, on that stream, it tends to escape, and you can pan mercury! It is almost as valuable as silver!

I do NOT use a magnet to pull the black sand out, because the fine gold will go with it! Instead, I use the magnet to temporarily magnetize the black sand, so it clumps easily, then I wash the clumps out.... a tiny amount of platinum and even less gold can still go with it, but save what you wash over, and it can be processed, chemically or recovered as a foundry process.

Remember.... do not pull the black sand out with a magnet, whether wet or dry.... gold goes with it!

Fine gold is all we have here (with a few exceptions) so I have the fine gold experience to back up that statement.

goldigger (little g, one d)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg48447.html#msg48447

goldigger

Offline b79Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

315.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger,

you are right. separating black sand using a magnet may have pulled some fine gold too.

after the days work, actually 5 days, there was very little gold left, not really worth  it....the cost is greater than what was recovered.

but its a good experience.

going back today to the river and dig that spot with green rocks and big rocks.

will keep you posted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7605.msg48609.html#msg48609

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: