[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pops, my dad owned a ranch out side of Kingsland, he had a old guy working for him that panned the creeks all over the area and found a little gold. He never got rich but that was 30 years ago with gold so high now I would keep digging.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg70941.html#msg70941

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

No, I'm not familiar with AA.... concerning gold... I'm sure gold has somewhere naturally dissolved...  but for the most part, other than gold locked up chemically....like a sulphide.... gold doesn't usually dissolve... most acids won't dissolve gold...

Back in the 70's I was dredging on the Scott R. just before the Klamoth R.  ... in Northern CA..... and much of the gold was tarnished jet black...actually threw some away thinking it was just a black rock... and I used acids to clean the gold... one beautiful nugget turned the acid green... it was a very nice copper nugget I had mistaken for gold......  I've learned a lot since those.... "...good 'ol days..."   LOL

It's a documented fact that it is generally agreed that what gold has ever been mined world wide since day one...is still here... since you can melt gold..over and over again and again .... or pour it into a bar.. then remelt it and make rings out of it..and the re melt it and pour into a bar again...and you'll have the same amount of gold as when you first started... besides it being rare.. this one property adds to its value...very things on the element table will do this when heated or dropped into acid...

Klondike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg70994.html#msg70994

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

hand full of gold 1.jpg

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Klondike, Yes you are right, Its been years since that lab job and I had forgotten gold doesn't really dissolve in water. There is something called "colloidal gold" (I think that is how it is spelled.) gold just erodes down to particles so small they won't settle out. When the particles are that small they float in the water.The AA  detects colloidal gold because it burns the sample in an acetylene flame at 3000 degrees or so. I think it's colloidal gold in the oceans.

I read that "most of the gold ever mined is still around today" in "The Miracle of Gold" by Jennifer Marx. I was so impressed by this book I called her at her home in Satellite Beach Fl. and told her so. She was surprised to hear that anyone still read it.  She wrote the book at the peak of the Carter Gold Rush('72). When interest in  gold was high. The other day I saw that it was being reprinted in 85,000 copies by Garrett. It is very readable story of the unlimited effort man will go to to own the metal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71056.html#msg71056

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think colloidal gold is what they injected my granddaddy with for his rheumatoid arthritis back in the 70's.  I never did understand what putting gold into a swollen distended joint would do to fix it, but the doctor was happy to do it and medicare was happy to pay for it.  He never did get better from the injections, but I do remember that it was painfull as hell for him.  Grumpy old goat and meaner'n anything for a week after his shots.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71063.html#msg71063

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:56:27 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 08:14:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bigwater, Your poor Grandpappy, he must have suffered. I think they got better treatments now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71065.html#msg71065

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, I think they do, although not without an arm lengths worth of warnings.  It was weird.  He was an over the road trucker.  Hauled cars from Detroit to Atlanta back in the days before interstates existed.  One night he got home from a long haul, parked it in the right of way as he always did.  Went in for a meal and found the bed... woke up the next morning and couldn't move.  RA hit him that fast... overnight.  Was a sad thig to watch him degrade.  Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.  Carry on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71067.html#msg71067

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 09:04:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

pops,

nicely done on the hog! Good luck with your search for gold as well, sounds like fun!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71070.html#msg71070

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Gambol1....

Some areas where one finds the gold nuggets are usually large..say 1 oz plus... often you will not find much in the way of fine gold.... however in areas where there has been a lot of glaciation or lots of wave action, you'll find lots of very fine gold particles....say like on the beach at Nome...or Northern California and Southern Oregon beaches..... or near glaciated valleys, often in and around Alaska....

One can keep the black sands from your cons.....place them in a tumbler with a scrubbing agent and tumble them for a few hours...and the use a amalgam agent, like mercury...and you will very surprised of the gold you can find that you were unable to see due to the gold being so small.... it is truly amazing.... lots of unseen gold...... and yes, I've seen gold float many times.....

When I had a commercial mine in Oregon, we had 3 channels on top of each other.... each one having different rock and sand and color... one was blue.... possible of the old "Blue Lead" the old prospectors spoke of.... one was red.. one was white.... the blue and red channels were of water born sediment... the red not as rounded rocks as the blue...and the white had no rounded rocks at all.. and mostly had volcanic ash for dirt.... possible from a volcanic eruption....maybe a piro-clastic flow.   However.. the white ash had lots and lots of very, very fine gold in it... so small, you needed a glass to see most of the particles...

The red had also had very small particles...along with larger and very flat flakes from glaciation  and the blue was the best with the most gold, but again, very flat and very small particles... all three channels extremely hard to capture the gold...

Often when panning the cons... I'd dip my pan of cons in the panning tub once near the end of panning that pan... and I'd see the water turn gold with all the very, very, very fine, small particles floating on top of the water inside the pan...even using several types of water softener...

This property was the hardest gold I have ever worked anywhere...,and I've mined from Alaska to Mexico...

Klondike Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71083.html#msg71083

red white blu.jpg

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 06:22:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Klondike, your picture of the blue earth is interesting. I don't know what mineral would make the earth turn that color. I've seen lots of green rock and blue-green rock that is colored with iron or copper. Cuprite or chalcopyrite thrown out in mine tailings that has been on top of the ground will take on a blue-green color but the only true blue I've seen is lapis Luzi and it wasn't an earth but rather veins.

Do you know?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71111.html#msg71111

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

No I do not know why it is blue......  The prospectors of 150 years ago spoke of a huge blue channel that, like most prehistoric channels out west, ran north to south....this one from Canada all the way to Mexico... and it was abundantly rich....  This may have been a portion of that "fabbled" channel...The blue channel I worked was very, very rich indeed...approx 1 oz to 40 tons of gravel... but it was soooooooooooo incredibly difficult to capture.... very light and small particles to recover...it easily floated... If I only ran 40 tons in a day...I'd get about an oz... but if I ran 200 ton a day ...I'd still only recover 1 oz... which isn't enough for a commercial operation... This is a case where a small hand operation will do better than a larger mechanized commercial operation... very unusual set of natural circumstances.... Up stream about 6 miles is the widest and longest gold bearing quartz vein in North America....It goes for a couple hundred miles and from 4 ft wide up to a couple hundred feet wide.... it is what is known as "pocket" gold....Even on my property I have found some very small gold bearing stringers to the main vein....The Columbia mine has several miles of tunnels on this vein.... the source for the placer gold...but glaciation has "ground" the gold into very flat and small fine particles.... plus it assays at about 72% pure, which makes the gold even lighter and harder to capture...

Good luck in our prospecting....

Klondike Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11055.msg71131.html#msg71131

Blue Channel Gold 3 and half OZ.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: