[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dandequilleTopic starter
Bronze Member

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

1472.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:18:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Christian,
     Bill Morgan told me he drove a US tank in WWII.  In coming through Germany at the end of the war he said they would stop in a village and have everyone put any weapons they had in a pile.  When the weapons were collected they would drive the tanks over the weapons to ruin them.  The smashed guns were taken into the woods and buried or put down privy hole. 
     Does anyone search for such buried piles of weapons?  There must be a few guns that would be worth looking for and a deep seeking detector should be able to pick up such a large amount of iron.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,302.msg1299.html#msg1299

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:29:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Dave,

Bill had told me teh same storry a long time ago, too.

By the way, I hope Bill is doing fine. I'vbe heared that he was recovering from being pretty ill.

But back to the weapons question:

There are unfortunately a couple of problems.

First of all German laws make it illegal to recover any WWII weapons or even ammunition. If you find e.g. one bullet only this can allready get you into pretty bad legal trouble.

However when a weapon is beyond useable condition there will of course be exceptions from the law which brings us however to the 2nd problem:

Many of these old arms will be beyond collectable condition. I've heraed of weapon caches that were in like new condition as everything had been wrapped up in oiled paper and packed into wooden storage boxes.

But for anything that got lost or that the former owner for one or anotehr reason wanted to get rid of in a quick way, there's not much hope. Those weapomns will be realy badly rusted.

Then last but not least there are other dangers involved:

E.g. a storage box could be bobytrapped - that is when you pull the lid you will charge some handgrenades which have been attached to it. Also there may be anti-person land mines hidden in the soil which are very carefully.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,302.msg1302.html#msg1302

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Dean
Silver Member

Robin Hood was the 1st Commie
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5897.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

T2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:58:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I( have some German friends here in Canada that were children in a small town at the end of the war..they saw tanks crushing piles of weapons...however the other thing I was told by them..and I have heard this from other people...many soldiers wrapped up weapons and other items and threw them in the outhouses and into the sh*t as they knew no one would look in that.

I once had an SS buckle that had been recovered from an outhouse.

Digging "privies"  is done in the UK and the Southern US and many very interesting finds are made.

Dean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,302.msg1311.html#msg1311

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: