[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:28:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings all !, Its a beautiful day for metal detecting here. Bright and sunny, 62 degrees outside. I was out all this morning trying out my latest invention for metal detecting...   A stick with a supermagnet on one end and a spike on the other. I use it to scavenge iron out of my digs so it doesn't confuse my detector. I've used a magnet before but its was a pain in the rear carrying the thing around. It would stick to everything and I didn't have a way of carrying it, the shovel and the detector. To solve the carry problem I taped a spike to the end. of it and when I get to the place I need to dig I ram the spike in the ground and use it for a leaning post for the detector. I don't like to lay my detector on the ground. The spike also comes in handy for picking up aluminum cans to get them out of the way. I spear the can and don't have to bend over. Call me lazy but at 69 bending down isn't as much fun as it was when I was young.

Another  use for supermagnets is having one on the lip of your sand scoop when you are doing beach hunting. they pick up small iron objects like hair pins which go right through the sand scoop. It's a must if you are using a PI machine that does not discriminate. Without it, you spend all day truing to catch a small iron object.   

G.D.   I put this under relics??? because I was out digging for Iron relics this morning. I was digging out a trash hole buried about 1920. Its a place where I found a pocket watch back when I first started detecting. I hadn't been back because the ground is full of iron. Today I went back and I pulled out a great pile of iron with my magnet stick. I found 4 non iron items. A 1918 wheat penny, A brass thermometer ( glass broken), some very rare copper bearing barbed wire and some heavy soft copper wire. I also came up with several pieces of railroad iron and a rather old looking cast iron cap pistol. Didn't know they made them out of cast iron. I'll show it when I get it cleaned up.gambol Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251348.html#msg251348

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

MAGNET STICK.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some of the New Magnets have some crazy Power.  Pinched my fingers more then a few times.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251350.html#msg251350

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
G.D.   I put this under relics??? because I was out digging for Iron relics this morning. I was digging out a trash hole buried about 1920. Its a place where I found a pocket watch back when I first started detecting. I hadn't been back because the ground is full of iron. Today I went back and I pulled out a great pile of iron with my magnet stick. I found 4 non iron items. A 1918 wheat penny, A brass thermometer ( glass broken), some very rare copper bearing barbed wire and some heavy soft copper wire. I also came up with several pieces of railroad iron and a rather old looking cast iron cap pistol. Didn't know they made them out of cast iron. I'll show it when I get it cleaned up.gambol

Wow! That's an excellent result. I keep a dowel on a shock cord that has a magnet on the end covered by a plastic cap.. Also, the bottom of my sand scoop has a huge one stuck to it. Bottle caps, nails, sparkler wires and key rings all stick to the bottom like glue while coins bounce around freely in the basket. You really can rapidly sort out the iron junk with a magnet.

You can't go wrong if you have the right tools. Thanks for reminding us all how important that is. Some of us take things like this for granted and never share about our experiences. Like many folks, I figure everyone already does that but you wait and see how many come along here for the first time and go ape over your explanation. Well done, mate!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251378.html#msg251378

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:19:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Gambol

That looks like a Flint stone spear you have there mate LOL but I do have to admit that I too have a stick with a magnet (A wonderful invention the magnet)  Kiss I will now need to add a spike on the other end, Thanks for the great idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251403.html#msg251403

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:27:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ya, I carried a stick with a magnet on it until I got a pick with a magnet on it  Smiley   That comes in real handy when I'm digging in the desert (as long as I remember to check the pick head).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251575.html#msg251575

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:32:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
I got a pick with a magnet on it

Also a good idea. Thanks BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251579.html#msg251579

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
5%
Male
Australia

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great idea. Thanks for sharing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg251580.html#msg251580

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline PaulInNJ
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites DFX 300
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 06:09:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What shape magnet is it, and how did you affix the spear to it?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46092.msg273723.html#msg273723

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: