[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines
Referrals: 0

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 06:59:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mike,
Yes I do detect. Yes I do find "stuff" mostly nails and the other junk but occasionally a coin or two. I relayed a story in one post here about losing my class ring when I was only 18 (been a loooong time ago) and securing the help of a family friend with a metal detector (don't remember what brand). We successfully recovered the ring and I've been hooked on mding ever since although not always as active as I would like. After that incident with the class ring, my grandfather bought a metal detector and I would go with him to old home sites hoping to find some old coins or anything of value Smiley. When I was 20 I bought my first detector and I don't remember the brand name or model but it was a Walmart special and it worked. Right now I am using a Garrett Master Hunter CX with some success. I would be glad to post some pics but I didn't want do that until I got more familiar with the people on the forum. Most of the junk I'm finding here is rather boring. I will show you in today's finds

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48412.html#msg48412

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by truthSeeker
If I remember correctly, I could not find the bit in the book, its 680 pages, I think Hammott said there had been a lot of landslides in the area and if the entrance had been blocked with stones and then covered with earth, the undergrowth would soon hide all evidence it was there. I am sure he has searched for it without success. I think he also said there may be no entrance nearby as it might be part of a larger tunnel system. And yes I think it may have been the priest who blocked it off if this is the tomb he went in.

I had my suspicions that the story may be made up, but after reading Hammott's book, I don't think so. He points out  certain things that he is not sure of, something he would not do if it was all a sham. And he seems to have had everything checked out by experts as well, something I don't think he would have done if it was fiction. If genuine it is a very interesting find.
Who knows what documents may be in the chests, perhaps some missing Templar archives or something. The Templars seemed to have had a strong presence in the area.

Hi;

Adding fuel to the fire might be putting it mildly!

So you had doubts, good. I have one, after viewing the site.... the cloth of the shroud, if that is what it is, looks almost new and has a sheen to it.... why? Was it put there by the priest, thus fairly new?

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48459.html#msg48459

goldigger

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 12:26:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

golddigger, the priest, Sauniere died in 1893. Therefore the sheen could be a trick of the camera. Recent? I think not!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48471.html#msg48471

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by salvor6
golddigger, the priest, Sauniere died in 1893. Therefore the sheen could be a trick of the camera. Recent? I think not!

Cameras do not have tricks, do they?

Yes, I figure it had been quite a while, I could not remember as its been a long time since I read or even saw anything on TV, besides, my memory is like Swiss cheese. (At least its not like Roquefort cheese!)

It still looks too neat and newish.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48472.html#msg48472

goldigger

Offline truthSeekerTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:01:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Golddigger,

you asked - the cloth of the shroud, if that is what it is, looks almost new and has a sheen to it.... why? Was it put there by the priest, thus fairly new?

One of the clues Hammott found mentioned that when the priest, Sauniere, entered the tomb "the shroud was all in tatters", so if this is the same tomb the priest entered then he must have replaced it with a new piece of cloth or something. But this would have been about 100 years ago. In his book Hammott says the cloth may have been treated with something to help preserve it. Looking at the images from the 3rd filming of the tomb, it does look very dry in there.

Please Register or Login

www.benhammott.com/rennes-le-chateau_tomb_page-2.html

The priest Sauniere died in 1917.

TS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48493.html#msg48493

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:03:27 am by truthSeeker »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by truthSeeker
Hi Golddigger,

you asked - the cloth of the shroud, if that is what it is, looks almost new and has a sheen to it.... why? Was it put there by the priest, thus fairly new?

One of the clues Hammott found mentioned that when the priest, Sauniere, entered the tomb "the shroud was all in tatters", so if this is the same tomb the priest entered then he must have replaced it with a new piece of cloth or something. But this would have been about 100 years ago. In his book Hammott says the cloth may have been treated with something to help preserve it. Looking at the images from the 3rd filming of the tomb, it does look very dry in there.

Please Register or Login

www.benhammott.com/rennes-le-chateau_tomb_page-2.html

The priest Sauniere died in 1917.

TS

OK,it is not impossible for stuff to survive well, from that era, to now... we have a family photo album from the 1870's that is in good condition despite much handling. So there is no reason to believe a 'shroud,' especially silk, could do other than look almost new, in the right conditions.

The site is very interesting, I saw different stuff, today, so I will go back and have a thorough look.

Those definitely look like gold goblets, in the tomb, wheras the goblets, displayed elsewhere, look a lot like brass!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48557.html#msg48557

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 02:25:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Goldigger, if it were a silk robe it would most likely have suffered from vermin attacks. A lot of vestments from that era were made of real gold threads. Heavy as all get out but always shiny.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48573.html#msg48573

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 02:47:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

No! Not straight metal, a fiber thread, cellulose or wool, is always involved, and the more ancient metal-use was never straight metal, always metal on fabric, embroidered on.. Straight metal fabrics are extremely rare, and who, then, could afford it, and why?

As for vermin, they would have consumed any cotton, as well, however, I was speaking from the point of view of ROT, not vermin, of which there might be none.

Any cotton fabric would  suffer bacterially, but the same bacteria would not affect silk, as it is a protein, not cellulose. More? The bacteria could not be excluded but the vermin might be excluded.

If  the fabric was replaced/emplaced, in the late 1800's, that would only be about 110 years, at the most. It is conceivable either cotton (mercerized) or silk, could have survived, especially treated with formaldehyde.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48576.html#msg48576

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 02:59:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I found a trunk with Civil War uniforms from both sides in it. That was back in 1977. The stuff was in a trunk in perfect condition. Just like new. There were silk dresses in the same trunk that were eaten by vermin through and through. Don't forget, silk is an insect organic material while cotton is, as you say, mostly cellulose. The silk crumbled as we picked it up. The satin-like backing remained intact.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48580.html#msg48580

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I found a trunk with Civil War uniforms from both sides in it. That was back in 1977. The stuff was in a trunk in perfect condition. Just like new. There were silk dresses in the same trunk that were eaten by vermin through and through. Don't forget, silk is an insect organic material while cotton is, as you say, mostly cellulose. The silk crumbled as we picked it up. The satin-like backing remained intact.

Then again, there have been tombs excavated, on the Steppes of Russia, that had intact silk, or mostly intact... you just never know. Most tombs also had permafrost, which could  account for the preservation, yet, in one, the flesh, of the interee, was quite decomposed, as were several horses, sacrificed, over the tomb but still frozen.

Any gold, in the tomb, was pretty well flattened, if foil, as it (mostly) was on the horses, unprotected by the log tomb.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7732.msg48587.html#msg48587

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: