[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2009, 08:45:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by luckyp
GD.What is wrong with google? I use it it very often when I have a question.I like Wikepedia which I found very useful.If you have an objection to google information or mis-information I am sure anybody will be glad to hear about it.

There's nothing wrong with Google but when it becomes your only source of information, that's a worry. There are as many wrong answers on Google as correct answers. And yes, that atomic stuff is hard to grasp. I had to grab a few books from the shelf to be sure I was on the same page as that guy. Whoa! I was overwhelmed with that page. Seriously. But in the end, I agreed with what he had to say. It was almost identical to what I have been saying but in total geek-speak.

As to Wiki, do you realize that anyone, and I do mean anyone, can change a Wiki page? If the author doesn't notice it, people start to see it as fact. Most authors can't be bothered to fix mistakes. Some even set up Wiki pages that are purposely wrong. Wiki is a good starting point for some subjects but should not be trusted until you verify the sources.

As to your ring, I believe what you have is solid 14k gold, not plated, and may have had a coating on it from the salt or brackish water where it was found but it isn't possible that it was oxidation. It may have been an electroplating or, heaven forbid, mercury.

It's a real beauty!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54248.html#msg54248

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 12:55:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Who knew metallurgy could be such a heated topic!  I, for one (and perhaps the only one!) have actually enjoyed reading everyone's differing opinions on the subject!  It actually makes me feel a little better about my complete lack of knowledge on the subject.  Everyone's comments have made me want to read up on it for myself! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54295.html#msg54295

Offline luckypTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

590.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Excalibur,xlt spectrum,PI2000,
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi BackAcha,
No you are not the only one as myself did enjoy this little discussion on that subject even that I was under fire.There is a saying in USA that every is innocent until proven guilty.As I do not know anything about metarllurgy I could not make my case and based my post on observations that I made over the years.Founding 10k jewellery with some kind of greenish fungus but it was the first time that I found a 14k with that kind of color.Also I did find many rings which have been resized and that part was black? I did appreciate the explanations of GD but for me it was like a doctor trying to explain a patient an open heart operation Grin
May be as you say will read more about and go back for round 2 Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54333.html#msg54333

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:56:50 pm by luckyp »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Luckyp and BackAtcha, I love you both! LoL

The truth is often that curiosity drives you to learn. It was that way with me. I got started in wanting to learn about metallurgy because of Thomas Edison and his experiments with light bulb electrodes. When he tried tungsten the first time, it failed. "What???," said I. How could it fail when it's what we use today in light bulbs! Well, I found out it was a precise thickness that was required to allow the heat to pass without melting it. Too thick, and it would not be bright at all. Too thin and it melted right away. A precise diameter is essential and it took him a long time to discover that. Thus, my interest in metallurgy began and has lasted through this very time in my life.

And don't think for a minute I didn't try to figure out a way to turn other metals into gold. Oh, that was wasted youth. But fun.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54359.html#msg54359

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2009, 12:35:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Folks, I have just read through this topic and indeed I think while we are here to learn, most of us are hobbyist. So let's keep it singled and kind and not discourage other members. It is good to learn new things and toput the record straight but neitehr should a meber be discouraged nor be given a headache Smiley

Lucky, you got a very nice find and presented it in a very nice way. Well, done! Keep on Detecting and thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54408.html#msg54408

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7    Go Up
Jump to: