[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am still lacking a digital camera to replace the one my fiance' ran over with the lawnmower and have only been able to use my cell phone and microscope devices.  I have done my best to get the three microscope pics to look the best that I can but the scopes camera came with the scope as a package deal and is obviously very cheap.

The two pics of the ring do not do the stone justice.  Comparing to the known diamond that she already sports tells me that the stone is not cheap.  It is most likely over five carrots and does not have a single mark on the stone that I could find.  This seems important to me since the ring was found in gravel next to a park road.  The band itself is full of small marks so I deduce that it could have been in this tough environment for some time without any damage to the stone.  I have painstakingly cleaned this piece and studied it's surfaces under a cheap jeweler's glass that I have had for a while.  

I am really not expecting this to be any great find of more than a few hundred dollars of worth but I am having some fun trying to figure it out.  Things like this make going thru all of that trash worth wild on my hunts.

I would certainly love to know a little about this piece before bringing it to the local jeweler.  It is definitely a solid silver band with the ".925" silver mark on the inside.

The next mark is something that I am glad to have the microscope for.  It is a circle with what appears to be two apostrophes rotated 90 degrees.  

The third mark is simply a bold letter M inside two vertical bars.

So far, I am going with the ".925" silver grading mark indicating that this piece is American and less than one hundred years old.  The "/M/" however, could be a date stamp or maker's mark.  It could even be descriptive of the stone itself.

The round symbol is the biggie to me.  Identifying the stone is my biggest goal before taking it to the jeweler.  I ha ve already agreed to let her keep it if it appraised less than $1500 U.S.  If it reaches roughly $2000 then we split the cash and she get's herself some jewelry with her thousand and I get myself that Minelab or Whites unit that will get me those few inches deeper on my hunts.

Thanx to anyone in advance for any help here.  

ALSO:   The pic of the symbol is horizontally inverted due to the nature of the microscope camera.  I am not sure that it matters though.  I had edited the other two pics to compensate but forgot to edit that one.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167401.html#msg167401

Tri City Ditty

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Park Ring two.jpg
Park Ring1.jpg
Silver Park Ring M inside two bars.jpg
Silver Park Ring middle symbol.jpg
Silver Ring 925.jpg

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:18:53 pm by TriDitty »

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:31:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tri I hate to bust your bauble but I have had several 1000 rings found, or bought and sold  though my shop and have yet to see any diamonds set in silver that setting has a valve of maybe 50 bucks retail scrap of 8 or 10 bucks no one would set a stone of any valve in it. I think GD has already told you that its a CC The other marks are hall marks some company's may use dozens depending on their markets.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167402.html#msg167402

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:48:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

he he he please do burst my bubble bud.  I know that it is reaching to believe this to be anything but what it looks to be. 

Honestly, I didn't think that it would be real silver until I saw the .925 so I plan to just keep up hope until the bubble finally pops. Idiot

It is a very pretty rock though.  If it only serves to add to the little lady'd collecting then my hobby has still done well.  The money figures that I included in the original post are pretty much figures that will hold true to anything that I find due to the cost of an upgrade of equip.  I am not holding my breath for a payday from this find.

Since you have a shop perhaps you can fill me in on getting an appraisal though....

Can a jeweler easily tell the type of stone?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167403.html#msg167403

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
Can a jeweler easily tell the type of stone?

Yes a good honest jeweler and most of them are honest to a point. Another way to go is a pawn shop most have a small meter that can tell if the stone is a diamond or not and will check it for for free in most cases it only takes 30 seconds. Even tho I am 90 percent sure of what you got still get 2 or 3  appraisal don't pay for an appraisal unless it proves to be a high dollar idem then get a written appraisal  that will help you sell it.
Good luck and let me know how it comes out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167406.html#msg167406

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:43:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanx.  I had an ole gal at a pawn shop to hit my fiance's ring with a laser once that showed it to be real.  I guess that I might get back to her shop and see what she says.

Other than that, there is a jeweler that people have been mentioning for an appraisal that I will stop by.  I just can't seem to stop searching for those markings though.  I will figure out that symbol sooner or later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167409.html#msg167409

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your photos are brilliant and do help a lot. I believe you do have a silver ring but has already been mentioned, it's probably not a diamond in the setting. Have a look inside the diamond in a bright light or a shaft of sunlight. Look for inclusions, dark spots or tiny little things that look like flakes inside of the stone itself. All diamonds have them. Cubic Zirconia, a commercially manufactured zircon, does not. The hardness of zircon is such that it very much resembles diamond and can confuse many people.

As Seldom said and I agree, I have never seen a silver setting having a diamond in it. I have seen one with a ruby offset with diamond chips that were too small to facet. It was from the art deco era when that was fashionable.

As I do other research, I have been casually looking for any information on your other marks. If I find anything in my hallmark books, I'll let you know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167413.html#msg167413

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:08:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi TriDitty

The stone in your ring is more than likely a white sapphire like GD and Seldom said I have never seen a diamond in a silver ring let alone a 5ct stone

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg167493.html#msg167493

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 12:14:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Your photos are brilliant and do help a lot. I believe you do have a silver ring but has already been mentioned, it's probably not a diamond in the setting. Have a look inside the diamond in a bright light or a shaft of sunlight. Look for inclusions, dark spots or tiny little things that look like flakes inside of the stone itself. All diamonds have them. Cubic Zirconia, a commercially manufactured zircon, does not. The hardness of zircon is such that it very much resembles diamond and can confuse many people.

As Seldom said and I agree, I have never seen a silver setting having a diamond in it. I have seen one with a ruby offset with diamond chips that were too small to facet. It was from the art deco era when that was fashionable.

As I do other research, I have been casually looking for any information on your other marks. If I find anything in my hallmark books, I'll let you know.

GD and friends, I have some quite interesting news... It looks like snow in there!!!

I own a cheapo jeweler's glass that was given to me as a Christmas present by an old boss.  I usually would use it to ID things like components on the bench and could not find it at the time GD's suggestions posted.  After I got back from a softball game with the 8 yr old the glass is sitting on my desk.  The little lady found it on the floor while picking up around the office earlier.

I have absolutely no experience with this at all but I can say that it looks like it is snowing in there.  the flakes appear to be white to me but my eyesight is not so good and my tool is cheap. 

I guess that I could just take this to get appraised but I am really having fun with it now.  It is really time for my beauty sleep but I am going to see about putting the ring in my microscope and maybe snapping a pic thru the weakest lens like I did with the markings.  It should work.  Heck, I should be able to get you guys some pretty decent pics of it just for giggles.

Well, I am going to crash now but maybe this will get me out of bed early enough to snap a pic of it before work.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg168033.html#msg168033

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:14:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Diamond inclusions are normally of two types. There are black, carbon artifacts left behind during the diamond formation and there are fractures that occur during the cooling process. Diamonds require high pressure and heat to form. The cracks and fractures look like a small slice of a rainbow floating inside the diamond. I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a cloudy inclusion in a diamond. It may be a really nice chunk of quartz or a Herkimer diamond.

Please Register or Login

http://www.herkimerdiamond.com/

I hope I am wrong, though. Hurry up down to a jeweler and let us all know. Seriously. Go on. Get out of here and come back with the news.

What are you still doing here reading this?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg169916.html#msg169916

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:16:44 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

he he he,

Great YES SIR GD!! Great

She has been wearing it over the last week while I have been spinning my wheels looking up the marks.  I will bring it to a little shop after I grab a bite of lunch and we will be able to solve this mystery.

I almost don't want to know yet because the research has taught me a lot so far.  I will be looking for a jeweler's glass tonight too study any future finds.  From what I have learned thus far, I will try to find myself a decent quality 20X glass.  It should not cost any more than $30 US since I don't need anything too fancy.   That seems like enough cash to get me a quality piece. 

I tried to get a decent pic from my microscope but could not really get any good angles on anything that would show well enough to post here.  I can say that after posting my last reply about it looking like snow in there that the stone must have been a little dirty.  Although there are little white spots in there, they are not as numerous as I first thought.  I did not see any truly black spots either.  I did, however, see a chip on the very bottom point of the stone.  It is well hidden from the naked eye but quite obvious with a glass.

Wise I appreciate your responses in this thread and assure you that I will know more in roughly 5 hours. Teach Idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23312.msg170086.html#msg170086

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: