[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline wus47Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Ukraine
Referrals: 0

605.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

hammer head PI Md, Thunder, own develop
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 08:14:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

And at last I upload the complete version of film.
full version

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://youtu.be/OTCZNe8MhII

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228047.html#msg228047

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

First off I will say that's some pretty country you have there. Second video isn't like being there, the camera hides some things and enhances shadows to look like others. I'm on the fence here, so here is my opinion.

I'm going to agree with Seldom to a point. Much of what I see are natural rock formations, but... some have been obviously modified. Question is by whom. The round holes horizontally into the rock (although I have seen nature do this with volcanic basalt usually the size will vary) look artificially placed to me, much like drill holes for blasting and could be modern in origin.

The squarish rocks can and do happen naturally. Sometimes they will even stack looking very manmade. Some of them do appear worked, but it's not clear in the video. If there were straight lines of wall with a semi uniform thickness I would be more inclined to believe they were artificial.

The sarcophagus stone, while it looks symmetrical in the first pictures is not from the reverse angle. While there is an obvious void I wouldn't assume it's a manmade cavity. I'd use a remote camera to investigate if there is enough evidence to support a closer look inside.

The marks on the back look like a mix of natural rock formation with possibly enhanced grooves. Just can't make out if it's chiseled or eroded from the film. The fracture in the stone that forms the lower inclination looks too much like a natural formation to me. Perhaps doing some charcoal rubbings would make the impressions better visible to the camera?

The one thing that really grabs me and says it could be ancient is the catch basin rock. The 4 grooves lead to the center so it seems to me to be a collection point. After looking at the vid and the dark discoloration to the top I'm wondering if there is any vitrification on the top of the rock? Could it have been used as a foundry to extract metal from ore? My other thought is still a religious use. The natural ampitheatre effect of the megalithic rock formations suggest that to me. It looks too rough to be roman to me but that's a bit out of my area to really say. Just my impressions, thanks for sharing your videos

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228186.html#msg228186

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:17:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The first photo`s i saw , reminded me of the latrines in some old roman ruins. 

But, then again i also thought, the stone may be upside down, and the whole thing sat on a plinth of sorts locking it in with the ribbed lines running into it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228197.html#msg228197

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This one could be interesting So I'm keeping an eye on it  Smiley

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228229.html#msg228229

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Lord Dracon
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

you have what looks like a very interesting site there ..

the catch bowl thing in the rock .. i too thaught was a metalworking stone or part of a stone carved oil burning lamp .. by the dark deposits in the center and on some of the lines

could all be part of a shrine or temple? 

towards the end where the heavy breathing is in the vid .. i was expecting bigfoot to jump out at any minute  Shame    Laughing

i too am going to be watching this thread  Smiley.. keep us posted on what else turns up

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228266.html#msg228266

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Ukraine

605.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 01:45:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank for your extensive comment and researches of a video.
The marks on a cover of sarcophagus remind to me a leg of an animal (and craws). And the second trace from attempt to blow up a cover of sarcophagus.
All these stones - not basalt. Most likely it песчаник. Therefore two apertures of a not natural origin. In documentary film of German archeologists such apertures were made for its transport.

The very first stone with 4 pathes has inside cavity. Top radius of this cavity is less than average radius. And consequently this stone could not be used as the form for moulding metal. But as the furnace for плавления of metal from ore - yes.
Excuse for mine bad English. I do not know well English. But I could understand all your statements.
Unfortunately I have not such thin videocamera to investigate a cavity of a sarcophagus ...
Once again - many thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228271.html#msg228271

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When I saw the two holes my first thought was they were for placing rods to carry the stone, but I couldn't fathom why anyone would want to carry it. I suppose it could be a support structure or base for something but the uneven shape of the rock leaves me without a clue.

LED mini cameras have gotten reasonably cheap. Might be an alternative to more destructive techniques to see what if anything is there. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228315.html#msg228315

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just use your cell phone. Make a bracket of some sort then put it on video, slide it in the cavity with an LED for light and there you go.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228318.html#msg228318

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Ukraine

605.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think that it is a stone (for grinding or moulding) could be used for washing gold ore. Some similar stones (with a cavity) are near this place and could be used for washing of gold.
It is necessary to try to look by metal detector.
Sarcophagus have very narrow crack (a little mm) and consequently to thrust there mobile telephone (as a videocamera) it is impossible.
Once again thank You.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228424.html#msg228424

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 08:50:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wus47, I am not an expert on this but have some knowledge of Geology, Petrology and Mineralogy. It came from studying the subjects in school and from various field trips around America. From what I do know the comments of Idaho Jones agree pretty much with what I think. I will say this though.
While the 'sarcophagus' stone looks like a natural fracture. The first test one should apply in determining if it is man made or natural is to trace minerals or inclusions in the rock from top to bottom across the crack. If the inclusions in the rock line up from top to bottom it is a natural crack. If they don't then it could be man made but not necessarily. The two halves could have shifted naturally.
On the last feature which resembles a foot print or bear claw print, there are a number of natural explanations. First that it is a bear claw print laid down in soft mud or clay and lithified, that is a fossil footprint. This is not very likely and can be ruled out if the stone is granite, volcanic or anything but sedimentary in origin. ie sandstone, mudstone, limestone or siltstone. Even if it is sedimentary, it may be a fossil imprint of vegetation (wood) or bone. The most likely natural cause is an imprint left by a mineral. This occurs in all types of rocks. A mineral such as calcite forms crystals in shale and is later dissolved by ground water leaving a void or called 'vug' if it is large. Feldspar does this in granite. The way to identify an impression of a mineral crystal is to look for crystal shapes. ie sharp corners and angles. Voids formed by water may not show any evidence of fossil or mineral origin. Once water starts flowing through a crack in a rock it may dissolve out a smooth rounded cavity. Think limestone cave. This happens in granite too.
All of the surface features of these rocks including the pocket with the four grooves are consistent with and similar to natural features I have seen in the Appalachians and Rocky Mountains in the U.S. Of course none of this means that the features were not man made. If you think they are Roman I suggest you get a metal detector and look for Roman coins around them. Gambol

I translated this and the Russian word песчаник.  came out Sandstone. Is this correct?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.msg228434.html#msg228434

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:02:39 am by gambol1, Reason: Add a sentance »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: