[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Bighouse
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 12:01:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Any one still busy on this topic?
Wondering if some one like to share info.
And if some one did think of mmmm let's
Say geographic evolution of Sumatra?
I think many did not think of this.
Any one in here how like to join me?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg259966.html#msg259966

Offline suparmar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

over the last 500 years the sea has gone inland, so the flor is further out then the eye witness says.
most of the treasure was taken by the Italians 3-4 years after the flor sank

suparmar 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg260006.html#msg260006

Offline Bighouse
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 09:46:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes right, but you also say that it already is found?
Or do I misunderstand you now?

I also wonder if the tsunami of some years a go did impact the area?

as you can see I`m interested in the topic and like to get some more info
to see if my info is right or not.

please share.

Posted on: June 08, 2013, 09:11:03 PM
I post again sorry, do you or anyone knows by how many meters?
and the story tells, it hit a cliff, makes me wonder if it was a cliff at all or one of the smaller lost islands of Sumatra?
as the sea level did rise?

Posted on: June 08, 2013, 09:30:25 PM
Hello all, just wondering if some one use this source :

Please Register or Login

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg260043.html#msg260043

Offline suparmar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

and so we set out, sailing in bad weather.........about 3 o'clock in the night we heard a thundering noise, and we at once threw out the plumb line. We found ourselves with our ship in barely four fathoms of water..........daylight came and the wind was strong and blowing onto the shore........The ship (flor de la mar) was in the shallowest part............. eye witness account.

The flor sank on the 7th of January 1512.

surinder

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg260634.html#msg260634

Offline cookie255
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

n/a
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

suparmar

how does a ship that is 34 meters high sink in 4 fathoms = 7.3 meters?

Please Register or Login

http://twinangelsgetaway.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/flor-de-la-mar-melaka-meritime-museum.html

also you said that the sea level has encroached further inland look at the below links and pls explain your reasoning to me.. : Huh?

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Famosa

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Malacca_1630.jpg

Posted on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:06 PM
can anyone help me pls with research

i'm trying to locate copies of the letters written by A'lbuquerque to the king esp those mentioning the sinking of the frol but also the ones where a'lbuquerue made mention of a map copied by francisco rodrigues  link below detailing this

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZG7ZMAbv_jAC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=letter+from+alfonso+de+albuquerque+to+king+manuel+of+portugal&source=bl&ots=x7miu6MQ5h&sig=QuKlZ_ary8ZyC6UlBcpYxwdyh-k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7BwQUsLiMfGZ0AXoyYDwDA&ved=0CFwQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=letter%20from%20alfonso%20de%20albuquerque%20to%20king%20manuel%20of%20portugal&f=false

i also wonder if anyone can confirm/rebuff this for me i have a memory of reading somewhere the description of where the frol sank as being opposite Aru  past (not sure of spelling) taimjaing point - which if i remember i translated to east point Huh? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg262363.html#msg262363

Offline Corporate investigations
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 01:09:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Cookie255

I here is an of an article article that might be of some interest to some.

Flor De La Mar : An Early Epilogue of the Lost Ship 1511 (Portuguese Documents On Malacca)

Article By: Mohd. Sherman b. Sauffi (Maritime Archaeology Museum)

The legend of the lost ship on the Portuguese fleet called Flor De La Mar (Flower Of The Seas) had been an agenda of story telling, speculations and assumptions for many years since her lost in December 1511. Lots of theories and speculations about her, that make her “A billion dollar baby”, some said that she lost or vanished on the unfaithful event, some said that she have been taken over and all the treasures are stolen, some says that she had been destroyed by rivals ships and most provocative some says that the ship was not lost and know whereabouts the ship but somehow until now, well 500 years later, it can never be found elsewhere and remains a mysteries.

Enjoy the silence? We are actually got away from our leagues ladies and gentlemen. Before we jump into conclusions about anything, there’s a good start we look at the early document of “Portuguese Document On Malacca 1509 until 1511”, collected, translated and annotated by the late M.J Pintado with National Archives of Malaysia in 1993. It is a “Long Term Project” which was started the ideas since 1974. Credits goes to all the personnel who work on the project especially Dato’ Zakiah Hanum Nor, Ex-Director General National Archive Malaysia.

The written historiography collections with importance which had information about Malacca, “Letters from Alfonso de Albuquerque” in 7 volumes and the six Chroniclers - Joao de Barros, Diogo do Couto, Fernao Lopes de Castanheda, Gaspar Correia, Damiao de Goes and Manuel de Faria e Sousa. The document itself had information about what really happen to the ship Flor de La Mar.

On the Document 2 (1511), Portuguese Republic Ministry of Colonies Asia Joao de Barros, Chapter II, “What Alfonso went through along the route that he took fom Cochin to the island of Sumatra, where he was visited by the King of Pedir and Pasai and what else he did up to the time he arrived in Malacca”, Document no. 13 noted “ …together with other jewellery taken as spoils from Malacca and put on aboard the galleon Flor de La Mar, as we shall further on”.

The unfortunate event that bring Flor de La Mar to bottom of the sea stated on the Book Seven Of The Second Decade of Asia by Joao de Barros, “The Achievements of the Potuguese in the exploration and conquests in the lands and seas of the east, after Alfonso de Albuquerque’s departure from Malacca to his entry into the red sea” Document no. 224, “ Above all they had to brave the fury of the storms at sea and the danger of the sandbanks near the coasts….”, Document no.225, “The truth of this we are going to see in the notable example of Alfonso de Albuquerque, who left Malacca with his galleons filled with trophies. Sailed as far as the Kingdom of Aru at the end of the region called Timia Point in Sumatra. There at night his galleon was dashed against a hidden reef and broke up into two parts with the poop in one section and the prow in the other, because the ship was old and the seas heavy”.

Alfonso indeed inside the ship and his men unable to get aid from other ships that sails along with them. By the following morning, Pero de Alpoem, a captain from another ship called “Trindade”, gave aid for the shipwrecked men in a ship’s boat and save them from tragic fate. During the period of danger, Alfonso had many precious things in his ship but the only “precious things” he saved was a little girl, the daughter of one of his slaves, while standing on a raft he held the child in his arms – the only things that he saved from among the rich spoils he had obtain from Malacca which were in his galleon. The great loss of Alfonso which is refers to his honor on the ship were the two lions hollowed iron, fine piece of craftsmanship and artistry, which the emperor of China had sent as gift to the Sultan of Malacca.

Another interesting note on the event was the mutiny by the Javanese workers, on a Junk in the company of Jorges Nunes de Leao, the junk did not steer along the right course and entered the port of Aru, where the Javanese and the natives robbed it. Alfonso did go the wreck site with seeking help of Captain Jorge Bothello by using a ship Carravel type and enquire the natives who dived for pearls to dive the wreck site. However, the natives near the coastal area of Pasai might have robbed most of the cargo.

There were more than 10 ships responsible on the Malacca invasion campaign by the Portuguese in 1511, to name few, Flor de La Mar, Trindade, Anunciada, Santo Antonio, Santa Cruz, Bretao, Taforeia, Enxobregas, Cambaia, Santa Caterina, Joia, Santiago and Sao Joao. The Portuguese were the first pioneering Europeans to established empire in Southeast Asia by the invasion of Malacca , August 1511 througout 130 years before the Dutch did. Alfonso de Alburquerque died in 1515, where he left behind the legacy of navigations and established Portuguese maritime control from the Persian Gulf to Malacca, to the great enrichment of the monarchy.

However, some questionable speculations about The Flor de La Mar cargoes: where did it really go? Where all the treasures of Malacca Sultanate that had been robbed? If the ship were broke into two parts, why nowadays people claim that they knew and found the wreck?

If we calculate for 500 years including the changing of tides, currents and based on the unstable geographical of Sumatera, does the ship still there? Just for comparison, the Fort Santiago at Malacca A’ Famosa fortress if we look at the picture closely we sees that the sea is near the fort but 500 years later then compare the picture with the new land of Malacca, it is about 5 kilometers out from the cultural sites. Now look at the Sumatera coastal area and think again. More research need to be taken and document to be analyzed, considerations for regions political issues, economics and diplomacy. We need to take a deeper look to this point so that the cultural heritage of Malaysia, Indonesia and Portuguese will be preserved with proper research and a little bit of sincerity in doing it.

Phil-Sherman William @ Mohd. Sherman bin SauffiMaritime Archaeological Museum
Department Of Museums and Antiquities
Jalan Damansara
50566 Kuala Lumpur
MALAYSIA
Tel: 603 2282 6255 ext 228
Fax: 603 2284 9103
H/p: 6013 895 0198

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg262647.html#msg262647

Offline bobw63
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

From the Singapore Journal of International Law - 1998 -

"The Flor de la Mar shipwreck and its cargo then emerged as the focus
of an intense ownership dispute between the Indonesian and Malaysian
governments. In 1989, the Indonesian government gave consent to a Singapore
salvage firm to search for the Flor de la Mar shipwreck and its treasure.
A year later, the salvage firm found the shipwreck, including its cargo,
within Indonesian waters in the Malacca Strait. Malaysia claimed the
shipwreck’s treasure from the Indonesian government, claiming it as the
property of the Sultanate of Malacca. According to the Republika newspaper
(18 March 1993), the issue would possibly be referred to the International
Court of Justice by Malaysia, as Malaysia felt that the Indonesian government
had not been responsive to its claim over the treasure. However, the
International Court of Justice has yet to receive a claim by Malaysia with
regard to this issue. Hence, the dispute between the Indonesian and Malaysian
governments remains unsettled."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg263316.html#msg263316

Offline TownGuy
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I see no one has posted on this subject since last year. Where did the interest go? lol

Posted on: March 13, 2014, 11:37:01 am
dear Cornelius, if you still check this site for someone serious about the "Flor de la mar" please contact me.

Sincerely, TownGuy.

Posted on: March 13, 2014, 11:42:33 am
Dear Cornelius,

If you get this post, please respond. I am honest and trustworthy.

Sincerely, TownGuy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg273903.html#msg273903

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
8%
Male
Australia

6080.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TownGuy
Dear Cornelius,

If you get this post, please respond. I am honest and trustworthy.

Sincerely, TownGuy.

I don't like your chances.Last time that Cornelius posted on this site was end of 2009

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg273905.html#msg273905

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline salvor6
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I heard from Cornelius last year. He said he is very sick and can't walk. I have not heard anything from him since then.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg275045.html#msg275045

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: