[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline suparmar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 07:23:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

For those who are interested in the Flor de la Mar and are interested in finding where she sank, or interested because it?s a fascinating story and to those who would like to do research on the Portuguese in Malacca or the Malay Archipelago, I will give you as much history about the subject as possible, but not the location or documents that will lead you to the location. I will start with a fair translation of book seven of the decade by Barros taken from the Malaysian archives.

BOOK SEVEN OF THE SECOND DECADE OF ASIA BY JOAO DE BARROS

THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE PORTUGUESE IN THE EXPLORATION AND CONQUESTS IN THE LANDS AND SEAS OF THE EAST, AFTER AFONSO DE ALBUQUERQUE?S DEPARTURE FROM MALACCA TO HIS ENTRY INTO THE RED SEA.

FIRST CHAPTER

HOW AFONSO DE ALBUQUERQUE AFTER LEAVING MALACCA FACED DISASTER ON THE SAND BANKS OF ARU OFF THE COAST OF SUMATRA.  HOW WE SAVED HIMSELF AND HIS MEN, CONTINUED HIS VOYAGE AND CAPTURED TWO SHIPS, UP TO HIS ARRIVAL IN COCHIN.

142.   Among the wonderful deeds connected with the Portuguese expeditions in the East which give us food for thought, apart from the armed battles with people of several nations and creeds, were the perpetual struggles with brutal onslaughts of the elements, which are more ferocious then wild beasts and more impetuous than any people that God had created.

143.   If we read about the wars of the Persians, Greeks, Romans and of other nations in Europe, we read of great dangers in the confrontation between armies.  In addition we read of great travails with hunger and thirst during sieges, coldness sometimes and the scorching sun at other times because of the change in the weather: sickness because of polluted air and food, and thousands of factors which cause death.  Theses same hardships and dangers the Portuguese passed through in their voyages and conquests.

144.   Above all they had to brave the fury of the storms at sea and the danger of the sandbanks near the coasts.  The duration of a life become like the length of the life of a plank which is being attacked by ship worms, or a lighted candle in a place where the wick could start a blaze if it fell off.  We shall see this is many cases where galleons were wrecked.  Every galleon lost cost the lives of men from one of the noblest villages in Portugal-noble in wealth and in the nobility of the man.  What is more to be regretted is that these men more left the eastern regions unharmed by the fire and steel of the many Muslims and Gentiles, their galleons loaded with treasure, only to lose everything in the depths of the vast ocean, the main burial ground of the Portuguese from time they began their explorations.

145.   The truth of this we are going to see in the notable example of Afonso de Albuquerque, who left Malacca with his galleons filled with trophies.  He sailed as far as the kingdom of Aru at the end of the region called Timia Point in Sumatra.  There at night his galleon was dashed against a hidden reef and broke up into two parts with the poop in one section an the brow in the other, because the ship was old and the seas heavy.

146.   For sometime Albuquerque and his men were unable to get aid from the other ships as it was night and there was no way they could communicate with the rest of the fleet.  Dinis Fernandes de Melo ordered the men on to raft where all remained until the following morning.  Pero de Alpoem, who had been sailing in the wake of Albuquerque?s ship, at great risk and with great difficulty, went to the aid of the shipwrecked men in a ship?s boat, and saved Albuquerque and his men from a tragic fate.

147.   During their period of danger , though Albuquerque had many precious things in his ship he would have liked to save, as Caesar did when he was shipwrecked, all he saved was a little girl, the daughter of one of his slaves, who had put out her hand towards him in an effort to be rescued.  All the while he was standing (on the raft) he held the child in his arms-the only thing he had saved from among the rich spoils he had obtained from Malacca which were in his galleon.

148.   The loss which he regretted most of all was that of two lions of hollowed iron, fine pieces of craftsmanship and artistry, which the emperor of China had sent as a gift to the Sultan of Malacca, and which the Sultan had placed at the entrance to his palace, and which Albuquerque had taken as one of the main trophies obtained from the town.  Albuquerque (later) said that the loss of the lions was almost as if he had lost his honor, for he had wished no other memorial to himself.  After his arrival (in Cochin) he wrote privately to Jorge Botelho, captain of a caravel which was part of a fleet about to sail to Malacca, requesting him to go to the place (where his ship had been wrecked) and inquire among the natives who dived for pearls whether anyone would be prepared to recover the lost lions, and he would pay any sum asked for, as he was more prepared to lose his wealth than his honor.

149.     Besides the loss of his galleon Albuquerque also suffered the loss of another ship, a loss which he felt very much, and that was the junk which was sailing in the company of Jorge Nunes de Leao.  In it were thirteen Portuguese and thirty Malabari soldiers from Cochin.  There were also Javanese workers in it, who , when they saw the Frol de la Mar wrecked and the other ships in difficulties, mutinied.  As they only wished to save themselves from captivity they did not steer the junk along the right course.  The junk entered the port of Aru, where the Javanese and the natives robbed it.  Some of the Portuguese were captured by Muslims, and others, including Simao Martins were killed.

150.   Others still, together with some from the Frol de la Mar, swam on to rafts which eventually were driven on to the coast of Pasai, the (usurping) King of which was trying to gain Albuquerque?s favor.  This King saved the men and later sent them in a ship to Coromandel.

151.   Afonso de Albuquerque was rescued by the galleon Trindade, the captain of which was Pero de Alpoem, in which he continued his journey to India.  While crossing the large Gulf of Ceylon he captured two large ships from the Muslims, one from Dabul and the other from Chaul, both coming well loaded from Sumatra.

152.   Regarding the ships from Chaul he had some qualms, since the natives of Chaul were friendly with the Portuguese and paid them tribute.  He refrained from taking its cargo, but he transferred to his galleon the most important persons in the ship and directed Simao D?Andrade with fifteen Portuguese to keep guard over the ship lest it sail away at night.

153.   In spite of being watched , the pilot and officers of the ship sailed away in a wind which took it to one of the islands, in the Maldive Archipelago called Candalus, where the crew was protected by the Muslims inhabitants, who however did not do any harm to the Portuguese for fear of reprisals against the Muslim traders who were sailing with Albuquerque.

154.   Continuing his voyage, Albuquerque arrived in Cochin where he was received with great solemnity and joy by all.  The festivities were not only to celebrate the conquest of Malacca, but also to rejoice over their return, as it were, from the dead, for the Muslims had spread the news everywhere that the Portuguese expedition was lost.  It seemed that the Devil?s attempt to bring discredit on Afonso de Albuquerque by getting the gentiles of the region to exaggerate the loss of his galleon into the loss of the whole expedition, but Our Lord had frustrated the attempts of those who tried to discredit Albuquerque.

surinder

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg107539.html#msg107539

Offline cantho29
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites,Metrotech,Compass,Gerrett and lots of junk.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now this is the type of article that gets the blood flowing!  Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg122700.html#msg122700

Offline suparmar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 08:01:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you, I hope you find this also interesting.

Below part of a letter from Alfonso de Alburquerque to his king, why does he send his king a letter so late, after the sinking? Alfonso wrote long letters and he sent to his friend one before he sent to his king, why?

X Lette

1512 - 20th August

Lord. - By the hand of Pedro Mascarenhas I received a packet of letters from your Highness, to which I will reply in separate chapters to avoid an excessive volume of letters. And through the mentioned chapters your highness will be informed about the contents of the letters as well as the answers your highness asked for. First of all I read a letter from your highness in which I was designated to your council, and I will accept as the biggest blessing in the world and because of that I will kiss your hands, because I?m aware that your highness decided so free of harassment from nobody; be your highness aware that that I serve you in India in such a loyal way that I will be worthy of each honour conceded to me; there is other people who could do a better job, But I?m proud of what I have done; advices are not For me To give you, those named by your highness because I will execute them with perseverance and good care everything you command me to do, with the help of our Lord. In other letter your highness ask about how many available ships I had in India and how many I have now. What I have to say, lord, is that in India were Frol de la Mar, the Cirne, the Rey Gramde, the Rumessa; these were ships with dimensions already known by your highness. More about minor ships: Sam Cristovam, Santa Maria da Ajuda, the Gar?a, another Ajuda, of Duarte de Lemos, the Rosairo, Santo Esp?rito, the caravelinha latina and the caravelinha redonda, the Rey Requeno and the taforeia; I will not refer the Livernda,

since she was being repaired to return with the cargo, according to the orders of your highness. The captains of the major ships were: the flagship, Frol de la Mar; the Cirne, Manuel de Lacerda; the Rey Gramde, Diogo Fernandes; the livnarda, Gaspar de Paiva; and the Rumessa, Lopo d?Azevedo. About the other ships, the minor ones, are they captains: Duarte de Melo, the Rey Pequeno; the taforeia, Ayres Pereira; Santa Maria da Ajuda, Pero da Fonseca; the caravela latina, Sim?o Afonso; the caravelinha redonda, Ant?nio d?Azevedo; the Gar?a, Sim?o Velho; the other Santa Maria da Ajuda, Mem d?Afonso; the Rosairo, Ant?nio de S?; Sam Cristovam, Ant?nio de Matos; Santo Espirito, Francisco Sodr?; the big galley, Duarte da Silva; the small galley, Sim?o Martins. With this fleet, composed as I referred, and with five extra new ships from Goa, and with under the command of Diogo Mendes, after in three councils they had agreed that they would be lost if they go to Malacca, and my agreement in giving them cargo at Cochin, left towards the straight of Meca and Aden, giving orders to Diogo Fernandes to take with him three ships and conquer the Ca?otor? fortress, and wait for me in that island until the middle of May; and if I will not  be there by that time he must be aware that I will be arriving unfair weather to Hormuz, and he should wait for me in Mascate; I Started what I had planned departing from Goa we had no time to cross the Padua shallows; knowing that the monsoon and the navigation across the Ormuz straight has ended, I returned to Goa and I left there the livnarda because she had no conditions to navigate and to allow to repair the Rei Pequeno, Santo Esp?rito, Rumessa and the other new ship from Goa of two hundred tons, which was still in dock which I left ordered, and master builders and carpenters to inspect them ashore and from there I left towards Cochim, where I left the Cirne and all the naus and ships from the India?s fleet; I also left men in Cananor and Cochim as reinforcements; to sail to Malaca I just took with me the Frol de la Mar, the taforeia and the three naus which were of Diogo Mendes, sailing to their true destiny according to their contract, and the nau emxobregas; and I took with me five new naus from Goa, the two caravelinhas and the bretam and the two galleys; the minor galley armed with the large bombard wich Sim?o Martins refused to throw away by my command in Cochim, and copper which Sim?o Martins received in Cochim as a reward, which he loaded in the cabe?as of the galley, the galley was weaken at sea near Ceylon, and he throw away all the oakum because it became decomposed; we rescued all the people and the galley was abandoned right there; the taforeia was cut up near the hill of Malaca because she had become decomposed: Frol de la Mar was wrecked Near Pacee; and coming to India where I was counting to find the fleet I left there being repaired, and I knew then that the Cirne was lost, the lyvnarda was lost, and the Rumesa and the Rei Pequeno and the Rei Grande all burnt by their decomposition, and the Santo Esp?rito and the two hundred tonees new nau melted, which stayed in Goa. This is how I found the fleet and the ships I left behind in Goa, taking with me only the Frol de la Mar and the taforeia. I don?t want to blame the people to whom I ordered the repairs, as they are well known by your highness. And for such facts I tell you to seek good attention and fortune, so that these misfortunes are kept away.The captains who went to Malaca in my company, along with their ships and naus were the following: Fern?o Peres in the nau of Diogo Mendes, D.Jo?o de Lima in the nau of Jer?nimo Cerniche, Gaspar de Paiva in the nau of Pero Coresma, James Teixeira in the caravel of the same company, Bastiam de Miranda in bretam, Aires Pereira in the taforeia, Jorge Nunes in Xobregas, Dinis Fernandes in the nau cabaya from Goa, Pero d?Alpoim, officer in justice, in the nau Santa Catarina from Goa, Sim?o de Andrade in the nau Joia from Goa, Ant?nio de Abreuin the nau Santiago from Goa, Nuno Vaz in the nau S?o Jo?o, built in Cangui?ar; and we met in the river in Goa Duarte da Silva with the big galley, Sim?o Martins with the little galley, Afonso Pessoa with a galley from Goa, Sim?o Afonso the caravela latina, and the caravelinha redonda, Jorge Botelho. When I left towards Malaca, D.Jo?o de Lima wanted to join me in the voyage and his nau stayed under the command of Fern?o Peres de Andrade, as captain on the sea; Gaspar de Paiva also came leaving his caravel to Jo?o Lopes Alvim; Bastiam de Miranda came and Vasco Fernandes Coutinho stayed in the bretam; Duarte da Silva came and in the galley stayed Pero de Faria, son of the commendator ?lvaro de Faria; Dinis Fernandes came and in his nau stayed Fransisco Serr?o; P?ro de Alpoem ouuidor came and Ant?nio de Abreu stayed in his nau; Nuno Vaz came and Aires Pereira stayed in his nau; and Crist?v?o Mascarenhas remained in the nau Santiago in which was aboard Ant?nio d?Abreu; Sim?o de Andrade came and in his nau stayed Crist?v?o Gar??s; stay in the caravelinha redonda Ant?nio d?Azevedo and in the latina Sim?o Afonso.These naus which I named here, stayed in Malaca. Those two belonging to the merchants and the caravel stayed awaiting for cargo with money and their own merchandise; the nau ?abaya and the nau Santa Catarina and the latina caravel are loaded with merchandise  aas ilhas do cravo carregar de cravo; aboard these ships is Ant?nio de Abreu, as captain-major, sota captain Francisco Serr?o, aboard the latina  caravel isSim?o de Afonso, as feitor das naus travells Jo?o Freire, man-servant of your sister the Queen, as notary travells Diogo Borges, your highness man-servant; they left in the month of November, two months and a half before myself; they have with them two native pilots and three portuguese, one of them beeing Gon?alo de Oliveira and the other Lu?s Botim and the other Francisco Rodrigues, young man, very wise, who knew how to build padroes; they were well supplied with food and artillery, and in a sum of all three ships were one hundred and twenty white men and twenty slaves to serve with the bomb, having with them a lot of flags and good sails and good rigging, caulkers, tow and pitch. praise to be our lord wish to guide them safely, allowing them to go to the island of bandam, island of nutmeg and kernal, and too sail to the cape named ambam, in a big island located four sailing days from the clove?s isles,

The naus and captains which I left in India were the following: Manoel de Lacerda in the Cirneas as fleet?s captain-major; and the new nau built in cochim with Diogo Pereira as her captain; P?ro da Fonseca stayed with his ship, Duarte de Melo with his ship, Mem d?Afonso with his ship, Francisco Sodr? with his ship, Sim?o Velho with his ship, Ant?nio de S? with his ship, Diogo Fernandes in Rei Grande, which came from Ormuz in the month of August, and with him Ant?nio de Matos in his ship, Gaspar C?o with his ship; the Rumesa rested in Goa without a captain, and the livnarda without a captain to be repaired; I left Manuel de Lacerda with enough power to be

obbeyed by all these captains, and all them stayed together; however I encountered the main ships of India?s fleet with no sailing conditions, and now while I?m writing this, I really need them, because of the news about the Rumis and my determination to penetrate the Red Sea. If these naus were lost at sea, I would feel no pain, because as the the man crosses the paths of your Kingdom, he meets what was destined to him

by god, but completely inactive people, in a good harbour and fortress of yours, your commercial post fully provided with money and supllies, let naus be lost this way!  and if they intend to say that they are old, with those sails the man in India, and if the India?s  fleet needs to be repaired as the cargo ships, they will be more expansive then profitable; but half patched as they are, doing a man the things of your service,

because I was not given a nau which was more to sail in it than destroy it, I could take better care of some things if the men were not so keen of your highness feelings that they are under your unconditional protection. About the number of people remaining under my command, including the cerfs of your highness as well as all the other people around. and the bombers and musketeers still remaining, artillery at sea and at land, all these thing will be listed in separated letters, including everything what your highness wish to know. By another letter of your highness I was notified about the necessary payments resulting from your decision that your highness gives to some people in order for them to be paid here.

surinder

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg123007.html#msg123007

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great post Suparmar thanks for sharing

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg123022.html#msg123022

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline suparmar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 11:03:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's more, from the The Amazing Career Of Afonso De Albuquerque by Elaine Sanceau.

..............It was already January of 1512. If Albuquerque did not leave immediately for India, he would miss the monsoon and have to stay at Malacca another year. All through these hectic months of fighting, building at high pressure, and contending with new problems, his beloved Goa had remained on his mind. How was Goa getting on without him all this time? It was almost inevitable that the town should be besieged, but he knew that he had left it strong enough to hold. ? You need never worry about your fortresses in these parts/? he once wrote to D. Manuel, ? even if you hear they are besieged . . . once or twice, or ten times. While there are Portuguese upon the battlements with helmets on their heads?they never will be taken!?
Malacca was now in the same position. The fortress was already quite defensible, and, moreover, a fine-looking building, situated by the mouth of the river.

The tower was fifty feet in height and forty feet across the base. From the top its artillery could sweep over the hill above the beach, and from the sea ships of 200 tons could be brought alongside the wall. The hill beside the fort, in Albuquerque?s opinion, was the most suitable spot for Europeans to live. ? Dig a moat running from the river all around the mount into the sea, which is a short distance, and you will have a very strong and well-protected town, adjoining the fort. There would be the settlement of those who with their families might wish to come and live out here. It is a healthy site with abundance of water, and there are orange and lemon trees and vines producing good grapes, of which I have eaten. ...? It is strange to hear of good grapes growing so near to the Equator, but Albuquerque, or any other son of Portugal, would know what he was talking about when it came to discussing grapes.

Ruy de Brito Patalim was installed as captain of the fort, while Ruy de Araujo, whom we might have expected would be glad to leave Malacca, was quite pleased to remain in charge of the factory there. With this function he combined that of arbiter in any differences that might occur between the various heathen and Moslem Bendaharas appointed to govern the natives. Any really serious matter, however, would be submitted to the captain of the fort. Three hundred men were left in garrison, and two hundred to patrol the coast on all the sound ships that Albuquerque had to leave. These seem to have numbered about eight. Of the eighteen that had sailed from Cochin the previous April, two had come to grief off Ceylon, two had been broken up at Malacca as past repair (when Albuquerque condemned a ship as useless, she must have been far gone indeed), three had sailed for the Moluccas, and the remaining three, Frol de la Mar, Emxobregas, and Trindade, were to return to India.

Emxobregas and Trindade might just be accounted sea- worthy, but with Frol de la Mar it was touch and go. Nine years in the India Ocean had played havoc with her. Her woodwork barely held together, and sixty slaves pumping day and night were required to keep her afloat. Castanheda says that the sailors would have refused to sail in her if the Governor had not embarked on her himself. But Frol de la Mar was a large and useful vessel. Albuquerque meant to patch her up at Cochin and sail in her again the following year. With ordinary luck and decent weather she could still reach India.

When the population saw their conqueror preparing to depart, they raised a howl of woe. They waited upon him in deputations and begged him not to go. Anything might happen to Malacca if he went away, while if he stayed his name alone would protect the town for a hundred years! How could he leave such a noble city, after having taken so much trouble over it?
Albuquerque thanked them for their very flattering confidence in him. Malacca was all they said and more, and he would like to stay. But deep as was his regard for Malacca, he could not very well abandon Goa. He would return next year if possible. Meanwhile the captain of the fort would look after them, and the fleet he was leaving behind would safeguard their shipping and commerce. So he sailed, and the Malaccans donned black turbans to show their sorrow at his departure.
Albuquerque with three ships and one junk proceeded up the straits. All the treasure of Malacca was packed on these ships, but mostly on board Frol de la Mar, which was much more roomy than the rest. The men on board were very few, chiefly crippled and infirm, for the healthy had been left in charge of Malacca. Still, there were enough sound men to navigate the ship, and all would have been well if a hurricane had not arisen one evening off Sumatra.
Frol de la Mar could just roll along in fine weather, but could not sail in a storm. Accordingly she anchored off the coast. But as darkness closed in the wind and sea rose in such fury that it was necessary to cut the masts. While the ship rocked wildly, tugging at her mooring, pieces of her rotten woodwork came away. Pumping was no longer of any use; Frol de la Mar was sinking fast. Albuquerque made everyone turn to and build a raft, and even while they worked some men were dashed to pieces
by the waves. All the invalids were put into the ship?s boat, while the Governor and the rest took to the raft.
Albuquerque sternly discouraged those who tried to cumber up the space with their belongings; he himself, he said, was leaving the ship in a jacket and pants?anyone who wished to carry more away could stay behind!
All the men were somehow packed on to the raft?slaves and captives were allowed to cling on to the edge?and at this point Frol de la Mar, hitting a rock, broke in two, and all the gold of Malacca went to the bottom of the sea. With it went the mysterious map from Java and other interesting documents, though Albuquerque saved some of his papers. The raft and boat with their human load drifted through the stormy night towards the shore and there lay anchored, waiting for the dawn.
Next morning, Pero d?Alpoem, who commanded Trindade, saw bits of the flagship floating about, and immediately bore down upon the scene of the disaster. Other fidalgos on board remonstrated. To head towards the shore in such a sea was
madness; it would simply mean two wrecks instead of one. But it was no use arguing with Pero d?Alpoem. He knew only that his adored chief was in danger, and if by so doing he might save Albuquerque, he would blithely steer his ship straight for the rocks!

The raft, plunging in the trough of the waves, was not easily seen, but the men on board hoisted white rags, and so at last attracted attention. Pero d?Alpoem anchored as near the raft as his ship could float?nearer than was prudent. He then sent out his boat and rescued all the shipwrecked crew. The remainder of the voyage was most uncomfortable, as there was insufficient food and water to go round, but nevertheless Cochin was reached without mishap.

Albuquerque returned from his richest conquest with two ships and hardly any men; no luggage, not even any clothes of his own beyond the sketchy garb in which he left,the wreck; but from the sinking ship he had saved for D. Manuel the ruby, sword and crown sent by the King of Siam.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg123050.html#msg123050

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great Suparmar these are the kind of posts that I like see I print them, then read em in bed.

Regards Xavier 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg123067.html#msg123067

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline paggeau
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 05:01:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Surinder? good to see your still at it, this is Patrick from Lagenda condo,s in Malacca 10 yrs ago, Remember ? no new research on the Frol but am still interested to see what is found one of these days.

Patrick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg143089.html#msg143089

Offline suparmar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 10:34:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here?s another letter from Alfonso De Albuquerque on Malacca and Flor de la mar

Letters For The King D.Manuel 1
Selection, Preface And Notes By
Antonio Baiao
Cartas 1, Pages 66-76

Alfonso De Albuquerque

THE LOSSES OF THE FROL DE LA MAR SHIPWRECK
With the Frol de la Mar we've lost the armlet taken from Nahoda Regea, which I refer to  your higness in my big letter, as well as the copy of the instructions that I gave the Captains whom I sent to the clove islands. Also lost were the letter from the king of Si?o and the jewels he sent; the oath of Rui de Brito; the list of artillery I left in the fortress; my message to Fern?o Peres concerning the Armada of which I made him Captain-Major, ordering him to obey to Captain of the fortress; my instructions to Rui de Ara?jo as how to rule the city and maintain your businesses and land rights; all the letters exchanged between me and the king of Malaca, before being expelled from that land; the list of knights and noblemen who acted bravely in the conquest of Malaca.
THE PROCEEDING OF DIOGO MENDES
Writing to your highness about what Diogo Mendes did in Goa, it was the most ugly thing I have ever seen and, as I have told your Majesty for several times, it seemed that he wanted to condemn the men and make things to them that one shouldn't do.
After your galleys have put an end to his voyages of war, he was brought to me under arrest; in front of all the Ambassadors and noblemen from India who were there with me, I asked him why he did those things, building a fortress in Narsinga after being agreed by the council of Captains, knights and noblemen that he wasn't to follow to Malaca because his ships were not strong enough to do it and because his men were few, in a decision that was written and carried to him by Louren?o de Paiva. He answered to me, in front of all the presents, that he followed my orders to sail to the island of Choram, to prevent it from being taken by the moors, and that in such action he was accompanied by Manuel de Lacerda with other boats and people.
I replied to him that in order to assist the warfare of your Majesty he didn't have to stain his own person; he further told me that he had paid two cruzados to the first and second mates of his Naus because they went ashore, in the island of  Divari, to steal cows during the night. He told me nothing about all the rest that has been stolen, but I'm sure he must have kept it to himself, just like all the others do.

And since I had already determined that he shouldn't go to Malaca, when I arrested him I gave the command of the Nau Trindade to Fern?o Peres, of the Santo Ant?nio to Gaspar de Paiva, of the Concei??o to D. Jo?o, and of the caravel to James Teixeira. After that I began preparing myself to follow to the Straight of Mecca, and to Ormuz, as I have mentioned in previous letters.
Our Lord decided that I should make the route of Malaca. I left there Manuel de Lacerda with the Naus and most of the people, and Diogo Fernandes who was to join him later with the ships of the India Armada, and the fortresses with artillery and provisions, and all this in accordance with your instructions, that ordered me to, whenever I had to sail to another place far from the coast, leave always someone to guard the coast and the fortresses duly equipped, and so I did.
Diogo Mendes' ships and goods were confiscated and placed under my supervision as property of your Majesty. May God want this to be the correct punishment for them, in honour of India. I ask you, your Majesty, to take good care of these things of India, which are likely to be damaged due to any small mistake.
The above mentioned merchandise and ships were taken to Malaca in the good hands of the men I appointed as Captains, with their own escriv?es and feitores. Nevertheless, they requested me to take part of the prizes but I replied that it wouldn't be fare since they were not partners in the expenses of your Armada. To the others I gave their part.
Since the Naus of this Armada were in no condition to return to Portugal without previous repairs, I order the Nau Trindade to be fully loaded, and the others to remain waiting for the arrival of the clove and of the other merchandise that was expected. Therefore I left them in Cochim, without any chance of being repaired in this year, for the shipyard was already full with the repair of your Majesty's cargo and Armada ships. It seems to me that Diogo Mendes, was fully aware of what he was doing. He needed to get his ships fully repaired in order to be able to return safely to Portugal. For this purpose he needed to obtain more money and that is why he was doing such things, leaving behind his obligations towards your Majesty and me. Anyway, if I was to allow this Armada to leave to Portugal, it would either be lost, since the ships were not in good conditions, or delayed for it would have to go to Pac? and Pedir to load pepper. They would have to wait for January or February to buy such spice. After that they would be forced to remain there for that is a bad time to sail back to India. Those waters are not good for one to stay there for a long period because any ship, further more these rotten ones, would get its hull attacked by the busano (parasite which attacks the wood). Therefore, your Majesty, I'm inclined to say that it was good fortune for this Armada to have felt in my hands because otherwise, Diogo mendes would have lost it all. And I was left with this matter as if I hadn't anything else to worry about (!).
I'm sending the records of his guilt and a copy of his contract in which is written that, as ordered by your Majesty, I am bound to let him go free, without doing him any harm. In the letter that your Majesty gave him, I was asked to help and advise him. He has argued that due to the contents of that chapter he is exempt of any guilt.
When any of his friends accuses him of what he had done, Diogo Mendes replies that he just wanted to respect the promises he made to the merchants; he seems to be forgetting his obligations to the things of your Majesty's service.
Besides all this I say that Diogo Mendes is a good man, knight and one of good advise. I was surprised I had to take this attitude about the Ormuz affair, and further more I tell you your Majesty, that even if I was to accompany him or him to me for a hundred years, there would be no arguments between us for I take him under great consideration and affection, so much that I've always appreciated his advise and practice, and he never undertook any bad action against me nor I against him. I also tell you Sire that if it had not been such a bad thing for India, for the figure of your Captain-Major and the figure and authority of the one he represents in these parts, I would surely let this event pass without any further attention.
After my departure to Malaca, leaving him with the Capitania he started to make bad use of his authority and to disregard your service, bringing unquietude to the hearts of those who were left there to take care of the fortress who were being mistreated by his own men. The leader of these gangs was P?ro Quaresma; these actions were just a preview of what was going to take place in Goa. Jer?nimo Cerniche and Fern?o Correia were also involved. I forgive them because our Lord shown them their errors and their guilt, by having issued wrong advise as to my voyage to Malaca.
The married process is also something that has suffered great developments. Many good men, blacksmiths, carpenters, turners, gunners and even some Germans have already married in these parts. If I had not leave Goa when I did, there would surely be now 600 people married. In Cananor and Cochim there are 100 and in Goa close to 200. There are still  so many servants of your Majesty and of the Counts and Dukes of Portugal expecting to get married that your Highness would not believe it. By letters I was warned that many women are taken from Goa by our men without my permit. I have never allowed anyone to take any woman without paying something for her, and nor to get them out of Goa.
If these people continue to get married like this, I think it be necessary for your Majesty to have the naturals expelled from this island and give the farming to the newly wed; in Goa the land is owned by no one but the king and master; all the farmers and other people are tenant farmers having to pay the correspondent c?vado (tax).
Some br?manes and neiquebaris are converted Christians and the have served you well in this siege of Goa. Cojequi, a quitual moor and tanadar of Goa, was one who deserves being mentioned. I gave him several positions because he was of great value during our two attempts to take Goa, and because he was a good leader of the naturals, always keeping everything under control, with great attention and care. If he had managed to stay alive, he would be worthy of receiving personally great honours and gifts from your Majesty. He was  a Christian and died with the names of our Lord and the Holly Mary in his mouth. I gave his positions to his son who also wants to become Christian.
Before the arrival of the Armada in which came Jorge de Melo, I had already answered the letters that came in the Armada of D. Garcia and were delivered to me by Jo?o Serr?o and P?ro Mascarenhas. Some of my answers to these questions were already sent.
May your Majesty know that all this was due to questions of time and necessity; although I had already sent some of these informations, I have decided to do it again so that your Majesty may rest assured of what has been done and of what is yet to be accomplished. To the letters that came in the Armada of Jorge de Melo I will answer as soon as possible; written in Cochim on the 1st of April, 1512. Written by Ant?nio da Fonseca.
In this first copy I send you a big letter containing all the things I've made since the departure of the Naus of Duarte de Lemos and Gon?alo de Sequeira until my arrival from Malaca to Cochim. It began writing it in Malaca and finished it in Cochim. I beg your forgiveness for any confusion in its contempt's, but I find it very difficult to write to your Majesty due to all the other things that I have to deal with all day and night.
I'm sending you a chart of the island of Goa,  Dio and of the island of the channel of Cambaia; and also a copy obtained from a huge chart belonging to a Javanese pilot, containing the Cape of Good Hope, Portugal, Brazil, the Red Sea, the Persian Sea, the clove islands, the routes of the Chins and Gores, with the straight lines sailed by their Naus, and the land with all the kingdoms.
It seems to me that it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, and your Majesty will would have loved to see it; it was written in Javanese language but I was taking along with me a jau who knew how to read and write. I'm sending your Majesty this copy, made by Francisco Rodrigues, and based upon the original; on it you will be able to see from where come the Chins and the Gores, and the routes that must be followed by your Naus in order to reach the clove islands, the places where the gold mines are, the island of Java and of Brand?o, of the nutmeg and its kernel, the land of the king of Si?o, and the extreme limit of the Chins' navigation.
The main chart was lost with the Frol de la Mar; with the pilot and with P?ro de Alpoim I have tested the chart to see if it was accurate in its suggestions of navigation. You may rest assured with this copy for it is very certain and wise; it only lacks the archipelago of the islands called Celate, which lay between Java and Malaca.

Your Majesty's servant
Afonso de Albuquerque

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg143268.html#msg143268

Offline stentmartin
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Malaysia

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Patrick, What is your plan for Flor. I will be ready to go soon. We will go to Sumatra in April to do some preparations and investigations. One of my friens from Germany was recently trying to find Flor with investmens from an American investor. They brought all the equipment including the latest bottom profiler and mags to Medan. He have not told me the results but I don't think they found anything in that area?

Sten

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7200.msg146165.html#msg146165

Offline paggeau
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States