[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands
Referrals: 0

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is logic because when the storm passed over the fleet. going from East to West . the tail end of the storm had winds blowing from South to North . Some of the ships that escaped the main storm were blown to the North- West  but eventually were wrecked  .  That is why I think wrecks could be found as high as the Georgia and South Carolina coast .   Cornelius

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39855.html#msg39855

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

the amelia island wreck is one "possible" wrecksite --1715 era fleet type artifacts --similar to those found on the 1715 fleet wreck sites down south --have been found in nassau sound -- I have located the site but the state of florida refuses to issue permits for the area -- claiming "aquatic preserve zone" protection -- even thought just a few years ago they allowed "beach renourushment" on the southern most  tip of amelia island --- thus clearly disturbing the bottom much more than the recovery would --- plus its clearly noted on the sea charts of the area that the bottom has "shifting sands" and is "unstable" so do not count on the published depths on the channels on the map,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39881.html#msg39881

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 03:58:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ivan . I think you have to know city-hall before you get any permit . It is a shame that good willing salvers / divers cannot even talk to anybody in charge .  You are a nobody and they will let you know . Who gives these guys the power to prevent you from searching for any wreck . The State can keep an eye on what you are doing . But NO , their word is the law and they don't want to give you any help in going after your hobby . Who are these guys ?  Who gave them the power ? Who voted them in office ?  What do they have for a reason to keep us out ?  How come the Fishers are holding on to so many leases while they dont work them personally ? "They must have enough money to persuade some  ,, People in charge ,, to leave it as it is .     Just my gripe !   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39884.html#msg39884

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 03:59:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

the amelia island wreck is one "possible" wrecksite --1715 era fleet type artifacts --similar to those found on the 1715 fleet wreck sites down south --have been found in nassau sound -- I have located the site by the state of florida refuses to issue permits for the area -- claiming "aquatic preserve zone" protection -- even thought just a few years ago they allowed "beach renourushment" on the southern most  tip of amelia island --- thus clearly disturbing the bottom much more than the recovery would --- plus its clearly noted on the sea charts of the area that the bottom has "shifting sands" and is "unstable" so do not count on the published depths on the channels on the map,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39886.html#msg39886

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 04:06:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

the fishers earned their leases the hard way --they won them in court --after fighting the same state and federal permit folks that we do today --the state and fed back then  tried to steal mel fishers finds from him (going as far as expanding the national zone the govt claimed in a attempt to grab the treasure from him)--thankfully for him the laws in those days were still set up in the proper way to favor him as they should be  ---so after mel won his case  what did the govt folks do? --simple--- they changed the laws (the abandoned shipwreck act) to insure that "joe" littleman never beat em again in federal salvage court  --thats what -- the 1715 fleet claims that the fishers were "awarded" via their win  were their "payment" for winning in court. -- the funny thing is by the verdict the court handed down  -- the state was supposed to set a process to "award" contracts to salvors who filed claims --yet the process they set up was so restrictive and cumbersome that almost no "new" permits have been issued since then. --- its a typical type of spiteful thing if you will --- payback for them losing in court.  --- however college folks or other "non profiets" permit requests fly thru the system with rapidity and ease --- so its very painfully clear that a "double standard"  exist.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39890.html#msg39890

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:29:39 am by ivan salis »
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 04:21:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is more on the great story from Cornelius:

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39894.html#msg39894

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ivan . I like the way you put it  . Clearly a  ,, double standard ,, exists .  Regards  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39896.html#msg39896

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 05:08:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This will get me on a different track .  If you think about the famous wreck of the Atocha  does it not dawn on you that this ship looking for passage through the Florida Strait ended up on Marquesas Keys .  We don't know the exact track of the storm that hit this ship , but it could have bypassed Marquesas Keys and be blown into the area of the West coast of Florida .  Just immagine  the ships that sailed through the Gulf of Mexico after being loaded with all kind of treasure . Of course they did not sail from Cuba  but their value was just as great .  In a storm they would have ended up on Padre Island  or if they could sail a little further  and the storm would catch them later they would end up along the West coast of Florida . Now .. I know that the East coast of Florida is in the lime-light , but why Huh?? . The West coast of Florida does not have the big pile-up of wrecks like what happened on the East Coast but the East Coast has been hunted to death by now . Why not spend some more time on the West coast and find a virgin wreck ? I grand you that the  Southern part of the West coast is mostly mangroves . But......that makes it interesting because the sunday salvager / diver  does not show up there .  Only the tru treasure hunter would go out there  ( if he is single  because his wife would never like it there ) . I have to rectify that a bit ....some women will stay with their man regardless of where he leads them .   Give it some thought will you  and let this wreckdiving thread grow .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39902.html#msg39902

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 05:34:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been following these wrecks as well... I have positions for the known wrecks... I don't know if they are any good but plan on hopping around the coast. The atocha is suppose to be spread out in and eight mile area around the Dry Tortugas if I am right....  We might have better luck with the 1715 wrecks as there are more ships spread in a about the same distance... The Dry Totugas are a bit far and claim two notable wrecks including the Atocha... Let me know if I am wrong... I am a good listener and am very interested...
Keith

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39907.html#msg39907

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It is good to know that the Atocha was found quite some time ago . One of the richest wrecks .    Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6476.msg39912.html#msg39912

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: