[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:12:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Burton M1 Side Scan Sonar is a really nice device offering great image qualiyt for compareable little money. Its towfish can be improved with some slight modifications and it's a really nice unit afterwards.

You can find more information on it at:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.burtonelectronics.com/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21016.html#msg21016

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1.jpg

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:05:21 pm by Christian »

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline uwlocator
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:02:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I could not agree more. The M1 is a great unit for the price. The image quality rivals many comercial units that cost a lot more. And, since it uses the Lowrance fish finder units for display and storage, it is very compact and water resistant.

The only draw backs, the frequency of 200kHz limits the resolution on close or small objects, and it only looks one direction at a time. For most searches, neither of those is really an issue.

Rip

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21026.html#msg21026

Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:09:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Rip,

I also have a Yellow Fin Sonar costing 4 times as much as the Buton M1 does and would say the Burton sometimes provides better image quality! However the Burton ly using 1 Chanel can be a drawback sometimes. Also when searching large areas, the possibility to use a program like Sonar Wizmap is a good option.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21056.html#msg21056

Offline uwlocator
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:06:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Christian,

I had a Sport Scan for a short time. The images from that were not very good considering the price and the fact that you had to have a laptop on the boat to use it. Not a problem in a large boat, but some of the searches I do require a very small boat to get to the area.

I also use a JW Fishers and a Marine Sonic. Both are very good, but cost is a lot more than the M1. And they are both much larger and take longer to set up. For searching small areas, for most objects, the M1 is the one I will grab first.

The new Humminbird units with side imaging are another low cost option for a lot of searches. The only draw back is having the transducer mounted on the boat. The angles are too sharp to get good shadows for objects close to the track.

Side Scan technology seems to be moving forward very slowly. I hope to see some improvements coming in the next couple of years. Most of the available units are the same as they have been for many years now. I think software is one big area that the manufacturers need to work on. I would like to see more units that record the raw data and allow full post processing. The other is the horizontal resolution. We need to see beam widths that are half of what we get today. That will require rethinking the transducer.

HH,
Rip

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21095.html#msg21095

Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:30:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Rip,

how do you like the JW Fisher unit? Could you maybe please do me a favor and post some images of ist towfish (especially its hanger) on the forum? I'm asking because I am currently designing a towfish for a UW proton magnetomter. The fish is allready finished but I still need to construct a good hanger for it.

Best regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21099.html#msg21099

Offline uwlocator
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Christian,

The next time I go to the boat, I will try to remember to get some photos of the towfish.

I do like the JW Fishers side scan. The software for it comes closer to allowing full post processing than any of the others I have used.

The hanger is one thing that I have changed on all of my towfish. I often work in shallow water with holes that you can not see in with the standard angles on commercial towfish. I have to be able to rotate the fish to look into those holes.

I designed my own hangers that I use on all of my towfish. I am going to see if I can find the original svg file that has the design and if so I will post an image later today. My hanger consist of an o-ring that is surrounded by an aluminum saddle that has tension adjusting cap screws on both sides. If you think of the piston connecting rods in an engine, the saddle looks very much like the end that connects to the crank shaft. In fact, the first saddles I made were made from connecting rods from small engines. The top of the saddle, has a block with a hole through it that I put soft copper wire through to give a shear point on the saddle that is at the balance point. I put another saddle on the rear of the fish and attach a secondary, recovery, rope to that saddle with a shackle. On some fish, notably the Marine Sonic, I have to use two saddles, one on each end of the transducer, with a flat bar between them in order to attach at the balance point. I use 1/4 inch bar for that and drill multiple holes in it to give me the best balance for the water conditions. I still use a secondary saddle at the back for recovery.

These have served me well. The copper wire link shears easily if the fish gets caught up in something and the secondary rope pulls it out tail first. I have not lost a towfish or had one damaged beyond use since I have been using this arrangement.

Hope that helps and I will try to find that file and post the images later,
Rip

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21101.html#msg21101

Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 01:44:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Rip,

this sounds very good! I would be most interested in seeing pictures of your hanger design. My fish design is allready complete but I haven't yet made up my mind towards what hanger system to use.

I would be most interested in seeing yours and learning from it.

Best wishes and thank you,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21102.html#msg21102

Offline uwlocator
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Christian,

I still have not found the final drawings with all the detail for the hanger. I still have a lot of old disks to look through. I did find the original idea sheet that I had taken to machine shops to get an idea of pricing for the clamps.

I converted it to a png and have attached it. The links that I use to attach the tow cable are made from 1/16" stainless and are about 2" long and 1" wide. On smaller towfish I use 22ga or 20ga copper wire for the shear point. I run it through the top holes in the clamp and through the link then twist it behind the clamp. The recovery rope is attached to the rear clamp with a shackle and is taped to the tow cable with duct tape. I leave a long loop of tow cable between the clamp and the connector so the pull will be just on the recovery rope if the safety wire shears.

To  use the clamps, I lubricate the O-Ring with silicon grease, put the O-Ring on the towfish, then put the clamp over it and tighten the cap screws until the towfish does not turn in the clamp. I can usually loosen one of the cap screws and rotate the towfish when I need to.

Hope this will give you some ideas. The final version of the clamp has all edges rounded and has a chamfer at the junction of the blocks. I also, always have a couple of extra clamps and O-Rings with me just in case. I have stripped out the cap screw threads a couple of times by making it too tight.

HH,
Rip

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21291.html#msg21291

Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hell Rip,

thank you for the pictures. Yes, it gives me a basic idea. However it would be great if you had a picture of the complete setup on one of your fish. I would also be very interested in seeing a picture of the original hanger set up used by JW Fisher.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21412.html#msg21412

Offline petemes
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Christian,

I am a newbie to this forum and also a newbie to sidescans. But I have been hunting wrecks for 23 odd years. I have been wanting to get a sidescan for yonks - obviously price of the units has played a major role in me not being able to invest in one ( So I just focused on the wrecks that I could find without one!) My main passion lies in locating and diving WWI and WWII deep wrecks - in the 50-100m range. I have very limited knowledge on sidescans and need as much advice as possible. I saw your post on the Burton sidescan and was really interested to learn more about it. Had a look on their site, but the best thing I think is talking to people who use the thing.

First of all, is it possible to use this fish to the depths that I need? (100m and shallower)
What sort of cable lengths will I need to use it for these depths.
What will I need to get to be totally operational to get out and look for wrecks, save the information for future analysis and future replotting on prospective sites?

I am probably asking all the Numpty questions and you have probably answered them a million times. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the process of looking for a 3100 ton passenger carrier which hit a German mine in 1917 off the north coast of NZ. Wreck is sitting in 100m of water on a shale bottom! Hope to find it this year!! With the help of a sidescan (and future wreck sites)

Many thanks

Pete Mesley

Please Register or Login

www.petemesley.com

Auckland NZ

Quote:Posted by Christian
The Burton M1 Side Scan Sonar is a really nice device offering great image qualiyt for compareable little money. Its towfish can be improved with some slight modifications and it's a really nice unit afterwards.

You can find more information on it at:

Please Register or Login

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2791.msg21855.html#msg21855

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: