[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 08:04:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

As an electronics engineer, I can assure you that your defibrillator has a far greater chance of interfering with your detector than the other way around. Because of exposure to all sorts of electronic radiation and signals, your defibrillator is built using a technique known as rad-hardening or radiation hardening. Not the nuclear type of radiation here but the EMF type. EMF stands for ElectroMotive Force, which can be electrical fields, magnetic fields or a combination of both. Even walking around in your house could affect your machine due to the 60hz AC flying about. Want to know how sensitive electronics can be? Go look at a touch-on / touch-off lamp. They work by senseing the 60 HZ signal that your body picks up from your house wiring.

Your pacemaker will be shielded from external emissions but you and your doctor are wise to be sure in the safety of his office. He'll be able to tell right away if there are any issues. Just for a goof, try putting the coil close to your pacemaker and see what happens. Then try putting the control box there. A good friend of mine jammed up his White's DFX machine to the point where we had to do a factory reset on it. He had leaned the control box on his shoulder (near his pacemaker) as he kneeled down for a target. It went completely silent and all functions stopped working. I see that you have the same model.

There was a schoolyard another friend and I loved to hunt that had a neighboring shopping plaza which had an ultrasonic alarm system. Normally quite harmless but his DFX detector was unusable there. He always borrowed my Compadre when we were there.

Be cautious. It'll pay off and it's harmless to check in the doctor's office. Be more cautious about exerting yourself and working up a sweat. Ask your doctor about this but when you exert yourself, your heart rate and breathing go up. This happens even in people who are in terrific shape. When that happens, your body is screaming for oxygen and your heart and lungs provide it. In a few minutes, the need is fulfilled and your heart and breathing return to normal. Now, with your pacemaker, when your brain says "more oxygen," your heart will respond, your lungs will respond but your pacemaker will say, "No, no no!" This can cause you to faint. Fear not, the results are almost never a long lasting problem but if you bang yourself up when falling, you can have ancillary damage to your other parts. Just try not to exert yourself. Take plenty of breaks and even when you don't feel you need it, sip some water.

Metal detecting is a very gentle form of good exercise and you can easily control your exertion levels. What you can't control is a panic reflex from turning over a rock and seeing a snake or that panic you feel as a strange dog runs toward you. Either of those can cause a conflict between your heart rate and your pacemaker. Just be ready for those moments when they happen. Try to hunt with a buddy nearby to keep an eye on each other. I wish you the best with your pacemaker. Your life will be changed for the better.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37608.msg231910.html#msg231910

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:10:14 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jmbicycleTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX and Garrett American !
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:29:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

I really appreciate your electronics information. The pacemaker part of the unit will not be programmed for me, however, it's the defibrillator that's going to be "ready".

My heart keeps pace in the situations you referred to and it will be allowed to do that, as far as I'm aware. The main thing is that the doctor is convinced that the heart muscle is damaged and can not sucessfully pump a full load of blood and oxygen with every beat. He's trying to prevent the liklihood of some future decision by the heart to say "ok, I give up". At that time the defibrillator will go into action and shock the heart into responding. He also says it may never go off because it may never be necessary.

Since it is an electronics issue, I'll remain vigilant but I would hate to stop metal detecting. I found out just yesterday from a neighbor, that ans outdoor motion detector light, powered by batteries charged by solar will affect a heart pacemaker/defibrillator. I understand that the "caution" is written right on the packaging.

Again, thank you for your input.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37608.msg231918.html#msg231918

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Peronal Choice here.   If I had on put in place it would not be stopping me from doing what I need to do.

Now that is just me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37608.msg231931.html#msg231931

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 02:35:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by jmbicycle
Since it is an electronics issue, I'll remain vigilant but I would hate to stop metal detecting. I found out just yesterday from a neighbor, that ans outdoor motion detector light, powered by batteries charged by solar will affect a heart pacemaker/defibrillator. I understand that the "caution" is written right on the packaging.

They use ultrasonic detection as well as infrared. You'll find that quite common on this planet these days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37608.msg231986.html#msg231986

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: