[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Chas123Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I found the eruption on this forum regarding someone posting an arrowhead recently quite amazing. Amazing because the mods in the thread in question, now locked, expressed the most ill informed opinions regarding artifact collecting then I have ever seen in my life! It is perfectly legal to surface hunt for Native American artifacts on private property in nearly every state in the union. Where did anyone here get the very silly notion that your artifact category is mostly silent because it's mostly illegal? That's not remotely true. Please don't take this as a personal attack. I realize this forum does not revolve around artifact hunting. But, for heaven's sake, at least post opinions that are remotely true! That gentleman was jumped on by people completely in the dark regarding the hobby. Again, not personal, but if that's the best you can do saying hi to a newcomer, you can work on at least getting fundamental facts straight.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252199.html#msg252199

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Chas123
I found the eruption on this forum regarding someone posting an arrowhead recently quite amazing. Amazing because the mods in the thread in question, now locked, expressed the most ill informed opinions regarding artifact collecting then I have ever seen in my life! It is perfectly legal to surface hunt for Native American artifacts on private property in nearly every state in the union. Where did anyone here get the very silly notion that your artifact category is mostly silent because it's mostly illegal? That's not remotely true. Please don't take this as a personal attack. I realize this forum does not revolve around artifact hunting. But, for heaven's sake, at least post opinions that are remotely true! That gentleman was jumped on by people completely in the dark regarding the hobby. Again, not personal, but if that's the best you can do saying hi to a newcomer, you can work on at least getting fundamental facts straight.

Nobody jumped on him. He took exception to a moderator's comment which was later corrected. Then he continued it demanding an apology.

And now you are here as a brand new user pretending to be someone who just happened along and became outraged. Knock it off or your entire IP range will be banned forever. Join in or leave. Now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252202.html#msg252202

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

No, I came along simply to point out if you have a Native American artifact section at all, why do so if the mod feels collecting artifacts is illegal? It was simply a very incorrect observation on his part. Yes, I know the poster got defensive, but again, I just think, if you do maintain an artifact hunting category, it's silly to suggest it's a silent category because it's illegal and people need to be warned of that fact. It's not at all illegal.

Sure, I'm a brand new user, and came here to simply correct that incorrect information. I would have corrected it there, but the thread was locked. Don't brand me as being outraged, I can't remember the last time I was outraged at something as inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Surely, nobody here has a problem with me trying to help you be better informed where collecting artifacts are concerned?

I collect artifacts, meteorites, and fossils. Not much metal detecting. Best find with detector was nearly 40 years ago, a "cache" of 4 Pine Tree shillings.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252203.html#msg252203

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:47:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

No, I came along simply to point out if you have a Native American artifact section at all, why do so if the mod feels collecting artifacts is illegal? It was simply a very incorrect observation on his part. Yes, I know the poster got defensive, but again, I just think, if you do maintain an artifact hunting category, it's silly to suggest it's a silent category because it's illegal and people need to be warned of that fact. It's not at all illegal.

Things have changed in the last few years. You and others here are going to have to learn that or suffer the consequences.

The discussion that resulted in the argument was NOT about that anyway. Your pal got upset because a moderator asked him if he double posted. That's frowned upon here. When he realized his mistake, he said something and corrected it. The discussion about legalities came well and truly after that. By then your friend was just too angry to see reason.

Sorry, but I can tell you have gotten yourself a new user name to avoid your moderated status. You can't really fool anyone that way. Like I said earlier, an apology to the moderators can go a long way to changing your status back to normal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252206.html#msg252206

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

It was simply a very incorrect observation on his part.

Your clueless on the subject. If you care to be part of this forum drop it now are you will be shown the door.
In fact seem the only reason you signed up was to stir the pot 'part troll maybe'.

GOOD BYE

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252208.html#msg252208

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Either this is the same guy checking in from a Starbucks or library nearby or it's a pal of his who he whined to about being mistreated. It certainly wasn't an accidental stumble into a fracas as he claims.

Nobody is ever forced to be here and is certainly not forced to reply to discussion. I have low tolerance for folks who come here not knowing that a forum is a DISCUSSION place and not an unchallenged opinion place. If he wants to be able to post his drivel unchallenged, he should start a blog with comments off. Easy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252211.html#msg252211

Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:40:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

No, I'm not a troll. Yes, I do know the arrowhead poster from another forum. Where did I say I just stumbled on this forum? I did come here simply to correct the information on the legality of artifact collecting. C'mon, there's no reason to say I'm clueless where the legalities of collecting artifacts are concerned. I've been a collector/hunter of such since 1957. I realize how outrageous it does seem to have someone like myself show up and post such a thread as an unknown newbie. But I was not and am not trying to stir up a hornet's nest. I'm certain this is a great forum and many of you are friends and for years no doubt in some cases.

Well, in any event, I'm not a troll. Maybe a bit self righteous at times, though. Just wanted to clarify that, in most, but not all states, it is legal to surface hunt artifacts on private property. In most states, but not all, it is legal to dig for artifacts on private property. Graves are the no-brainier exception, protected by federal laws. When I came to understand that a moderator stated collecting artifacts was largely illegal, I decided to not mind my own bees wax, not keep my big trap shut, but post a thread clarifying the issue. I'm not clueless. Don't just presume I'm some jerk troll because I would post such a thread as a newbie.

I don't mean anyone here or this site any ill will whatsoever, and I'm stepping down off the soapbox. Don't let this thread irritate you. That was not my intention, I simply decided to not mind my own business and correct a misunderstanding regarding the legality of artifact hunting in the United States.

Yeah, when I look at the thread subject title, it did take a lot of nerve on my part. It would not seem so much nerve if I were an old timer here, though. So to hell with me as the messenger! LOL.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252215.html#msg252215

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Where did I say I just stumbled on this forum?

You never introduced yourself. You just started in on the moderators here without even a howdy do. You leapt into an argument where you have no knowledge. But then, I believe you are using a new name.

Posted on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:02 PM
Just wanted to clarify that, in most, but not all states, it is legal to surface hunt artifacts on private property.

Read this VERY carefully.

THAT WAS NOT THE POINT AT ALL!

Posted on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:48 PM
I don't mean anyone here or this site any ill will whatsoever, and I'm stepping down off the soapbox. Don't let this thread irritate you. That was not my intention, I simply decided to not mind my own business and correct a misunderstanding regarding the legality of artifact hunting in the United States.

You are quite wrong but again, that was not what the argument was about. Go read the thread or be muted like your other persona.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252220.html#msg252220

Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have only one persona. I can assure you I am not the original poster. You yourself stated in that thread, in relation to arrowheads that "most are illegal to own due to laws in recent years". My point was simply to correct that statement. I did read the entire thread. I just did so again at your suggestion. I clearly stated what my point was, to simply correct a misunderstanding on the laws regarding artifact collecting. No more then that. Look at it this way. If you went to an artifact forum, saw that that forum had a treasure hunting category, and then read in that category something to the effect "restrict yourself to surface finds, guys. New laws make it illegal to metal detect in most states now.", wouldn't you be inclined to react like: "What!!!?". Some might be inclined to write to that forum and correct that misinformation. And that's all I did.
The original poster did talk about his thread on another forum, and the general agreement there was that both sides in that thread had made mistakes in their attitudes, including the original poster here. And that's where I learned about it, went to the thread, read it, and wrote what I did. Collecting arrowheads is illegal on federal and most state lands. You can't take arrowheads from National Parks or Forests. You warned that people need to be aware of the government, but the above instances and grave robbing are the only reason the government would seize your stuff. It's not illegal in most cases as you stated.
So that was my point. Is it so wrong to make that point. Is it really so wrong to be corrected? What the deuce is wrong with learning something new?

Well, you're angry at me for merely correcting a clear misstatement on the legality of artifact hunting. As much as I've read that thread, that still seems to be one of the main points driven across in that thread, as an aside, not the original point of the thread, I understand that misunderstanding was corrected, but as an addition to it. I'm sure if someone told you metal detecting is mostly illegal, you would correct them.
Am I not allowed to do the same thing without being accused of being a troll or somebody else in disguise?

You are right, I did jump in without even introducing myself. That's not good. I arrived the way I described, after learning about the original thread on another forum. And I joined your forum simply to point out the mis-information in that thread.
Should have minded my own business I guess.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252222.html#msg252222

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:31:48 pm by Chas123 »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Chas123

No Mention of the Antiquities act of 1906?

There is a Whole Lot more to it then mentioned.

Please Register or Login

http://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/anti1906.htm

You are allowed to pick up and keep Points if on the Surface of the Ground on Public Lands.   BLM, Forest!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46176.msg252223.html#msg252223

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.