[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:30:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Consider the following reasons why that is so. The dynamics of running a forum that is free to users is complex. This only touches a very small area of that concept.

While the Internet seems free to most people and even this forum is free, meaning no cost to you (the end user), the truth is that someone has to pay for it all. In the case of this forum, that lies squarely with Christian (the owner) who puts out personal hard earned cach to keep the THunting.com forum open for you, for everyone here. This is why he lays out the rules. We moderators are tasked with keeping things running smoothly on a day to day basis.

A particular sticking point with some members here is a critical comment about a manufacturer. Everyone has a bad day and for some, when our toys are broken, that's an extremely bad one. I personally feel as if a very close friend is in hospital when my detector(s) fail me due to something being broken. My experience with every manufacturer I have ever contacted has been very positive. Some of you here have not been so fortunate. Relating a personal experience along with dissatisfaction is one thing and is encouraged. If and when a moderator asks for things to tone down, that request should be honored immediately.

Why? Is that stifling free speech? Is that against the policy of the forum that claims to promote free speech? To summarize, free speech is always allowed. Even to the point of allowing a user to continue to make comments which are inflammatory about their experience. Once the discussion changes from simply relating an experience to a full blown argument with moderators, it changes. Now it is no longer about free speech but about not complying with the forum rules which specifically disallow that sort of activity. Arguing with a moderator can and will earn you a warning and perhaps ultimately result in your being banned.

Do not misunderstand this distinction. Your comments are fine. When inflammatory remarks affect the forum financially, it becomes a problem. Those comments can actually attack the very foundation of this forum that keeps it a wonderful place which costs you nothing. Without the support of the metal detector manufacturers, this forum would eventually go away. Thanks to Minelab and Fisher and Whites and Garrett and Tesoro and others, this forum remains free to you. Minelab is a direct sponsor while all others are currently sponsors through Google. You see all of the Google ads as Google cycles them through based on the words used here in discussions.

Please do not hesitate to mention what you consider bad service but do remember that your freedom to discuss that should stop short of alienating a potential sponsor. You might not like the Frazabaddington Metal Detecting Company (made up name), but somewhere, I guarantee you that someone loves them. Try and keep your comments to facts at hand and heed moderator requests. If you really must ask why, do it in PM rather than in public.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26289.msg184660.html#msg184660

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline clifftopdigger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would just like to apologise for my frustrations at being missunderstood spiraling out of control,and the backs that were put up because of it. It was just a situation that was misread and would like to say that the mods do a good job in policing,but please,dont skim read. lol.
I did waste alot of precious moderating time,but it was not meant in malice. Just to put right the error.
Now everyone has cooled down and looked at the thread properly the situation has eased and thanks for allowing me to post again.
I am a civil bloke,and feel i can be sensible and contribute some encouragement,advice and participate in threads in a sensible manner. Yes i'm new to this,and should be treated with suspicion(i could be anybody or any manufacturer). I understand that,but i'm just a regular guy who wants to get his head down and get back out detecting.
Please,don't be put off by all this,and feel free to speak to me if you see me around the forum.
You said there was no need to apologise, but let me apologise for my frustration at least.
Happy swinging. Cliff.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26289.msg184692.html#msg184692

Offline kabier2
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Sudan
Referrals: 0

437.00 Gold
View Inventory
abuasaia
Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nice and cool and great keep it this way all members are happy for the help and information they get
and please forward my thanks to the sponsors and i hope to be of some help to all   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26289.msg185189.html#msg185189

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: