[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:12:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would like to request for the option of watermarking photos that are uploaded to thunting.com.

The ability to position the watermark anywhere in the photo (especially over the important bits) would be very nice.
If a clickable URL of the topic to which the photo was posted can be part of the watermark (eg THUNTING.COM topic=XXXX), it would be excellent.

We all know how easy it is to copy images online; such a watermark would discourage people from using our photos for nefarious purposes. Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108612.html#msg108612

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Watermarks are always placed in the lower right hand corner automatically on photos you upload as attachments. To keep the watermark from obscuring your image, add a white border at the bottom of 50 pixels.

See the attached image of my faithful dog as an example.

Unfortunately, even with watermarking, the onus of proving the image is yours is still your responsibility. Thunting does not own the copyright but adding the watermark could help you prove the image belongs to you. The best thing to do is to add your own watermark before you upload the image. Then, of course, you have the problem of a watermark over a watermark.

I actually think that watermarking is a waste of time. It also sometimes obscures important information.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108614.html#msg108614

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Sample.jpg

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:35:16 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The current watermark is as good as no watermark at all. The image can still be downloaded and cropped to leave out the watermark.
I am requesting for the ability to place a watermark on the photo, not at the bottom of it.

Am not concerned about copyright or proof of ownership. My main concern is that other people will use an image to fool other people. True, a watermark may obscure some details, but if it is faint enough, such interference is minimal. Anyways, if that's the way it is, I'm off to look for watermarking software.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108617.html#msg108617

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:42:28 pm by Hobbyist »

Offline arjoyceniza
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:54:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

you want to put water marks on your pictures, it can be found on the option of the printers you used. click the option water mark. edit the text you want and adjust the opacity of the text. the size and the angles. OR you can do it in the photoshop just put a text on the center and adjust the opacity. thats it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108622.html#msg108622

Offline Tennessee Treasure Hunter
Silver Member

just go out, dig it all and have fun!!
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

870.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

maybe you could try to add your self with a photo program? like this?
if you can not then you can e-mail to me and I'll do it and send it back. goes for any that wants the water mark.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108624.html#msg108624

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

MY TRY.jpg
MY TRY2.jpg
MY TRY3.jpg

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:15:27 pm by ray.b »

{alt}

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Found some free watermarking software:

Please Register or Login

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Graphics_Editors/Watermark_image_software_Download.html

Will upload a watermarked photo with this post and see how it appears.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108625.html#msg108625

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

P1000013.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:28:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
The current watermark is as good as no watermark at all. The image can still be downloaded and cropped to leave out the watermark.
I am requesting for the ability to place a watermark on the photo, not at the bottom of it.

Am not concerned about copyright or proof of ownership. My main concern is that other people will use an image to fool other people. True, a watermark may obscure some details, but if it is faint enough, such interference is minimal. Anyways, if that's the way it is, I'm off to look for watermarking software.

Fool people? How? A watermark won't help. All it does is point a finger back to this forum. There's no way to stop anyone from taking your pictures and using them any way they wish. There's a filter for PhotoShop that removes watermarks. Does a good job, too.

Your image testing proves to me that a watermark would make the images harder to see. If you have a map with writing, it obscures it. What good is that? Might as well not post an image at all. I was intending to suggest to Christian that he stop adding the watermark at all because some images with tiny things near the bottom are ruined by it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108648.html#msg108648

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:05:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Fool people? How? A watermark won't help. All it does is point a finger back to this forum. There's no way to stop anyone from taking your pictures and using them any way they wish. There's a filter for PhotoShop that removes watermarks. Does a good job, too.

Your image testing proves to me that a watermark would make the images harder to see. If you have a map with writing, it obscures it. What good is that? Might as well not post an image at all. I was intending to suggest to Christian that he stop adding the watermark at all because some images with tiny things near the bottom are ruined by it.

There are myriad ways for someone to use stolen images to fool people. They'd be less inclined to use photos to solicit funding if it had a watermark, more so if it's a watermark of this forum. Lets see the Photoshop filter remove the watermark on my watermarked image test. If it does a good job as you claim, then there is no point to watermark anything. Feel free to remove the watermark and post the pic.

The fact that watermarks do obscure details in a photo is not in doubt here, but is totally irrelevant to this thread. Not all images are of maps.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108651.html#msg108651

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:53:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thing posted for ID with water marks are going to be harder to see in which case lots of people will stop opening what is it post. If your are that worried about  your pictures the I suggest you not post them. I say no water marks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108658.html#msg108658

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:47:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
Thing posted for ID with water marks are going to be harder to see in which case lots of people will stop opening what is it post. If your are that worried about  your pictures the I suggest you not post them. I say no water marks.

And I say there can be a middle ground between an obnoxiously obstructive watermark, and an unaltered photo. In the near future, I shall be posting some stuff up, and yes, the accompanying photos WILL be watermarked.

Now, what the heck happened to the "MODIFY" button in my posts? Has it been watermarked with whitewash?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108663.html#msg108663

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.