[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Andy,

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
The ability to position the watermark anywhere in the photo (especially over the important bits) would be very nice.

That's technically not possible. Atleast it would need to be custom programmed and I expect this modification would cost around USD 200.00 which is above our budget. Also I think that only very few members would actively use this mod.

If a clickable URL of the topic to which the photo was posted can be part of the watermark (eg THUNTING.COM topic=XXXX), it would be excellent.

Getting the URL on the pciture might be technically possible and I think it would indeed make sense. However it is technically not possible to make it clickable (once it gets copied from the site).

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108694.html#msg108694

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:50:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ya mean like this  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108708.html#msg108708

Xavier

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Watermark2.jpg

So many questions so little time

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

xavier if that arrow points to a creek the lines say go 15 meters and dig for 25 meters take a diamond scanner as that's whats there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108709.html#msg108709

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are myriad ways for someone to use stolen images to fool people. They'd be less inclined to use photos to solicit funding if it had a watermark, more so if it's a watermark of this forum. Lets see the Photoshop filter remove the watermark on my watermarked image test. If it does a good job as you claim, then there is no point to watermark anything. Feel free to remove the watermark and post the pic.

The fact that watermarks do obscure details in a photo is not in doubt here, but is totally irrelevant to this thread. Not all images are of maps.

Xavier beat me to it. He removed your watermark like a pro!

They're just to make you feel good, mate. Watermarks don't protect anything. As you have been advised, don't post precious information. Keep that to yourself. Your paranoia over your pictures is legitimate as long as "they" really are out to get your pictures. Not likely.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108710.html#msg108710

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In my oppinion the watermark serves two purposes:

Prevent the occasional iamge lifter from re-using "our" images ... if he does (and doesn't care about removing the watermark) it may prompt people to our site.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108711.html#msg108711

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:20:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Christian
In my oppinion the watermark serves two purposes:

Prevent the occasional iamge lifter from re-using "our" images ... if he does (and doesn't care about removing the watermark) it may prompt people to our site.

Exactly. The casual user will be warned by the watermark. Anyone who really wants to steal a photo can remove it as they wish with easy filtering.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108712.html#msg108712

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 02:29:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's like you said GD if it's valuable to you then don't post it or take a pic that will only show the part of the map or what ever it is that you are enquiring about and then post it but watermarks are totally useless.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108713.html#msg108713

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 08:01:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Christian: the bug is gone after line 797's syntax error was fixed. The "Modify" button exists once again and is usable in the time limit. Prior to correcting the syntax error, if I tried to modify a posting a few minutes after it had been posted, I'd be directed to a page that said "Double posting is not allowed, please go back and edit your post". And thank you for the explanation on my request and site problems.

Xavier: Mind you, that same photo was previously posted by me (sans watermark) in a thread that asked about iron pyrite. If you did really remove the watermark, very good job!

Golddigger: Paranoia is not in the equation unless you are paranoid about people being paranoid  Tongue. Last week I was shown my own photo of iron pyrite (amongst other photos) in a cellphone screen by a broker trying to find investors for a "gold venture". Upon further questioning, the perpetrator of the "venture" is a chap in Kota Kinabalu. I won't get into the nitty details of what happened to him after; lets just say this little problem has been resolved.

Had that not happened, I'd not even bother thinking about watermarks. If robbers want to get into a house, they will get in one way or another; despite locks and alarm systems. Same goes with photos; but watermarks and strong locks will make life a bit more difficult for them.

Found another free watermark software:

Please Register or Login

http://www.photo-freeware.net/download_win-eng.php?id=619#

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108752.html#msg108752

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:13:59 pm by Hobbyist, Reason: Added URL for another watermark software »

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 08:46:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist, there is a Photoshop filter that removes the watermark from photos. It was developed by a guy who hated when his own photos were watermarked by eBay and copyrighted by them.

Whether or not your photo is used as an instrument of fraud is not grounds for watermarking a picture. Even a watermarked picture can be used for that and the fraud is just as wrong but now, with a watermark, it looks more "official" to the punters. Do you really want to be part of that?

If you are worried about your images being misused, never put them in places where they can be used that way. In other words, live within your world view, which, whether you think so or not, is paranoia. The boogie man won't really get you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108756.html#msg108756

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 09:06:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger, I for one would be happy if a site watermarked any photos I posted to it. While it is true any photo in any condition may be used for fraud, if the would-be fraudster does not have the capability or is plain lazy to remove any watermarks, at least their potential victims can question the presence of such marks (eg "If this is really your project, why does it have a URL on it? Don't you have the original photos or did you lift them off some website?"). Of course, if the eyes and brain are dulled by greed and excitement, they may not pose such questions.

Case in point: my photo had been lifted and used with bad intent; I will not let that curtail any future postings of relatively-unimportant photos, but will do what I reasonably can to make it a bit more difficult for those chaps. If they still wanna do it, c'est la vie.

And FYI, "boogie man" is a corruption of "Bugis man". I've lived and worked with Bugis people of Andrekan, Bone (pronounced bo-neh) and Tatur origin for over 12 years. They aren't as scary as they're thought to be. Smiley. I'm off to watermark some photos!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16920.msg108758.html#msg108758

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.