[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline stilllookingTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Compass Relic Magnum 7
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:25:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Does anybody have or know about MP3 Maximum Power metal detectors? I found one for sale, it seems to be a quality unit and the reviews are good but I would like to talk to someone about personal experience with one. Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg89684.html#msg89684

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

2010-05-03_092417.jpg

Offline mlmcleod
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a MP3 Pro detector with a 10" coil.  On the whole it is a good solid beginner unit.  That said, a Garrett Ace 250 is a better unit.  The depth is about the same as the MP3.  The 250 also has pin pointing mode and notch discrimination.  The MP3 does not have notch discrimination but allows you to eliminate iron thru silver one icon at a time.  They are both about the same weight.  I do prefer the 4 AA power on the 250, versus the 2 9V batteries on the MP3.  The MP3 has a 5 year warranty vs 2 years for the 250.  The MP3 has 12 unique tones versus 3 for the 250.  I really like the 250's belltone!

Really when it comes down to it, the 250 will have a much higher resale value when you eventually upgrade.  Both of them are decent detectors. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg136205.html#msg136205

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:00:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The original post on this was May 3, 2010.  But since there's not much about the MP3 on the boards I would like to chime in case this thread gets read.  I would like to respectfully disagree with mlmcleod as far as the Garrett being a better detector.  The Garrett has fixed ground balance, which means it has one setting.  The MP3 has automatic ground balance which means it will adapt to any environment.  The tougher the ground phase gets, the less effecient the Garrett will become, while ANY machine with auto ground balance will continue to adjust and perform.  For this reason, I have rejected the Garretts, and continue to purchase machines that have auto or manual ground balance, including my next purchase which will definately be the MP3 Pro.  The Garrett 250 is a nice little machine but I bet it can't out perform the MP3 in rapidly changing ground conditions. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140097.html#msg140097

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Correction. The Garrett ground balance is not fixed but it does set itself each time you turn it on. Using patented technology (the patent is available to read on-line at the USPTO), it senses conditions, averages the ground effect of the nearby environment, and sets a ground balance accordingly. What you can't do is change it. However, you can take care of ground drift in two ways. Lower the sensitivity or turn the machine off, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on. It will rebalance itself to your localized conditions. This even works in salty, wet sand to some degree. If there is water puddling, it is less effective but for very wet or damp sand, it is fine.

I've had people argue with me until they are purple that this is not the case but everyone who has ever tried it has come back and said it worked like a champ.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140136.html#msg140136

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mlmcleod
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:08:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the clarifications pertaining to ground balancing.  As I said previously, both units are good.  The higher resale values for the Ace 250 are also fact. 

cheers and happy digging,
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140138.html#msg140138

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No doubt on the resale values.  Garrett is popular, and may in fact be a better built machine.  The MP3 doesn't seem to be too popular on this board unless I've missed a thread some where.  Do you own both?  Maybe you could tell us how they stack up as far as build quality.  There is interest in the mp3 as witnessed by the number of hits to this thread.  I'm waiting for the tax refund and then I'm getting the MP3 pro and living in the dog house for buying yet another MD!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140159.html#msg140159

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:25:57 pm by Okletsee »

Offline mlmcleod
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:47:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all!

I do own both detectors. The MP3 Pro is a nice machine.  It is perhaps the easiest MD to use.  Push one button and you are hunting.  The controls are minimal.   The 10"coil is good.   To eliminate trash you can turn off the icons one at a time but there is no notching available.  The housing and rod quality is about the same as the Ace 250.   The reason I got the 250 was for the notching capability to reduce trash digging and the pinpointing capability.  I was frequently frustrated with the MP3 with no pinpointing.  You will dig larger holes with it for sure.  I believe that the extra few bucks to get pinpointing and to dig less trash is worth it.  The 5 year warranty of the MP3 is a nice plus.  I have not used it so I have no idea of the quality of MP3 service.  I do know that Garrett is renowned for the quality of their service.  The last thing is that the MP3 Pro is very good for those that can distinguish unique tones.  The Ace Belltone is nice but is the same for all items set up as coins.  It takes a me little longer to get used to the unique tones and what they represent.

All in all the MP3 Pro is a nice machine.  I liked using it and it is now my backup so it will be used again.  Kellyco has a nice comparison page where both units can be stacked up and compared.

cheers,
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140165.html#msg140165

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:54:03 pm by mlmcleod »
Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All my troubles are over.  I'm ordering my MP3 Pro this evening when I get off work.  Kellyco says that the MP3 can discriminate out the pull tabs and still find the coins and rings.  My $100 detector can't do that, and my $500 detector can't do that, so I looking forward to owning a $250.00 detector that can.  No more digging pull tabs for me!  And now I won't ever miss a ring or a coin again because of a pull tab or other trash.  Thank-you MP tech and Kellyco!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140907.html#msg140907

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:45:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Okletsee
And now I won't ever miss a ring or a coin again because of a pull tab or other trash.

Let us know how that works out for you....especially if you're hunting with someone else following behind you.    If it works well, we can expect a run on MP3's

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140915.html#msg140915

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've read the manuals and called Garretts on the 250's  They say fixed.  I hear what yer saying, but until Garrett says it I'm not buying one.

Posted on: January 31, 2011, 02:16:48 PM
And another thing, if the patent office had their.......wait a minute......I feel funny.  Something's happening!  Oh no!  I'm turning puuuuurrrrrpppple  AHHHHHHH!    Grin Grin Grin Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14124.msg140964.html#msg140964

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: