[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline spanishgold1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:04:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i bought a pulse star 2 about 9 months ago. No one here in the blog had one so I bought it on blind faith. I use it mostly in the west desert here in Utah to look for meteorites and at the beach on test runs to see how it performed.
Here in the desert I used my four wheeler to pull the pulse star 2 pro behind.  I have 3 pics showing different version to pull the pulse star behind my four wheeler.  It has been trial and error, with mistakes that has cost me $900.00.

I took the unit to the treasure coast in Florida to see how it would react to the beach condition. There are 4 setting, 1 being the greatest depth and 4 being the least.  I had to run it on the 2nd setting.  I buried a coke can 3 1/2 feet just above the water level.  I tried to go deeper but the waves kept coming in and filling up my hole.   The unit was very stable, a lot more stable than i ever thought.  The unit picked up the coke can with no problem, and telling from the strength of the signal I could of went deeper.  The following day I went back with the sand filled in and different conditions.  Not knowing for sure where I buried the can of coke, the unit picked up the can with ease.  My Garrett PI or my Fisher cz-21, no signal at all which I was not  expecting  them too at 3 1/2 feet.
As long as I kept the coil even with the ground, there were no false signals.  It performed just like it did out here on the west desert of Utah.  The only problem was the sand and water.  The unit has to be enclosed in a water proof, sand proof case if that is even possible.  For $4,300.00 with the cost of the unit, you cant be to careful.    
Any questions you want to ask just let me know and Ill try to answer them.  I know i tried to get answers before I first bought one but there were none here.
Also if anyone has some good researched treasure lead, I would be happy to come out and help search with my pulse star 2 pro.  Its has to be good researched leads, not camp fire treasure stories.  Either way,, send me a line if you have questions and i can go in more detail as well as some of the draw backs of the unit.  

Edited and flipped the pictures.      Hello spanishgold1 !!!    That's an awesome setup , looking for treasure in the comfort of your dune Buggy !!!      HH.........E.L.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg200407.html#msg200407

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMG_20110923_123935rotate3.jpg
IMG_20110923_141626rotate2.jpg
IMG_20111029_115853-rotate1.jpg

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:20:08 pm by Eugene52 »
Offline FRANK1FM
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

I find your post very interesting.I was thinking on buying a pulse star 2 myself.What really caught my eye is the fact you went to Florida to test the unit out,which is something I thought about.Did you attempt to find any treasure on the beaches?Meaning gold or silver coins.I don't know which beach you went to but are you familiar with the 1715 Plate Fleet that went down?Much of the treasure has been recovered but there is a lot more not found.MILLIONS!Are you familiar with this?I live in New Jersey and there is quite a lot of buried treasure in Pennsylvania not found yet.After over a 100 years God only knows how far it has sunk down into the earth,way beyond thr range of a conventional metal detector.It is impossible to determine the depth.I'd say minimum of 5-6 feet for starters,and that's if your lucky enough to actually locate it.All luck.Can this unit get a hit with the 40"x40" coil over 5-6 feet deep of a fairly large cache of coins?Have you found anything of monetary value with this unit yet?Meaning coins or precious metals?Would appreciate any feedback.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg211473.html#msg211473

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:31:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Spanishgold1,  I'm curious how it performed when you were looking for meteorites in the western desert.  Did you locate any meteorites, or suspected meteorites,at all?    Thanks for sharing.            Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg211511.html#msg211511

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:33:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry for the late delay in getting back with you.  The Ex wife has returned and my whole time has been helping her.  She's only 43 and has some health problems so my time has been occupied but Im back into my research and treasure hunting mode.
In florida, I only conducted tests and was not really looking for anything of value with the pulse star 2.   I am planning on returning again to do some serious hunting.  Back here in Utah I have a four wheeler and a cart that I made to pull the coil on.  I sure wish I could use a four wheeler on the beach, because I really could cover some ground.

So I am in the process of making a portable cart that I can take on the airplane.  Ill let you know.  As far as detecting a stash of coins 4 - 5 feet deep,it really depends on the size of the objects.  I have never buried anything 5 feet but from my tests in the open air to detect something 5 feet it would have to be about the size of 5 or 6 cans of coke.   I have 30 modern gold coins 80 silver dollars that I kept in a box and did some testing with a two box detector ( Garretts) and the Pulse star 2 pro.  The 2 box detector was useless.  The pulse star detected them at 4 feet with no problem. I couldnt dig any deeper other wise I would of.

When you have a deep object you really need to focus and listen for the threshold sound change.  As you are walking  the threshold or should I say the beat will change just because of the ground condition.  There is a quick toggle switch that will set it back to your original setting.  A deep target will also give you the same sound so you have to go over it several times to make sure its not a change in the ground conditions.
I hope I made my self clear.  I am going to do a video so that you will be able to hear the different sounds.  A object close to surface is a very loud squeal, but a deep object as well as changing ground conditions it a slight rise then falls back. 
Write me if you need more information.  As soon as I get my ex settled with a place of her own, I am heading back to Florida.  The beach I was at was just south of Vero Beach on the treasure coast.  The next trip is going to be on gulf side of Florida.  Ive done some research on an area that I think I am going to give it a try.  Write me if you have any more questions and i will try to answer them more quickly.

Posted on: February 14, 2012, 01:17:16 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back.  As I put in another post my ex has returned and has some health problems so I have been dealing with that and have not been on line, but I am back ready doing some research on leads I have.

I can tell you that i have done more designing, fixing and experimenting with the cart I was pulling behind the four wheeler, than  I have been detecting. I worked on it all summer long, re designing the cart. 

The problem I had was sage brush, and rocks.  Keep in mind that the the cart has to be all plastic, even down to the wheels.  With the sage brush getting caught on the cart or in the wheels the sage brush won every time. I have broken 2 cables so far which are over $400.00 each.  I have made some safety lines to keep that from happening.
I finally resorted to just searching flat areas where the old river beds are.  I have not found any thing yet but I have found my share of old cans and pieces of barbed wire and pieces of old wagon parts.  I am surprised that in the middle of no where there are old cans and pieces of wagons, such as bolts that I find.

With my 5th design on my cart i finally have one that can tackle the sage brush and the rocks.  The areas in Utah where one of the largest meteorites in US history was found is very rocky.  Im covering a 10 mile area.   I use a GPS with a lap top computer to keep track of where i have been but I bagged that and just use a chain with a heavy piece of iron connected to it.  It leaves a line in the dirt so I know where I have been.
I think my next investment is another loop so I have a 8' X 8' area.  I can cover twice the area in the same amount of time.  The only problem the object has to be larger. Write me if you have any questions.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg213136.html#msg213136

Offline FRANK1FM
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello:I've been doing some thinking.Instead of using a plastic cart with wheels,did you ever think of using children's snow skis?I'll be getting a PI unit soon with a 3ftX3ft square frame.Considering the different terrains I'll encounter,sliding was the only solution I came up with.Wheels will always get stuck some how.Of course everything has to be plastic.I believe with your detector you have a round search coil.When you go to Florida,try using it on the treasure beaches.You'll get more depth.Hope you find some Spanish Fleet gold coins.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg213340.html#msg213340

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have the 3X3 square coil or it could be 4X4.. I would have to look but I think its the  4X4.  I also have a 18" round coil which i haven't used very much.   With the PI you have to be level with the ground at the same height or you get what i call false signals, or should I say a change in thresh hold, so that is why I like a cart so it is also the same height to the ground.

I have even tried suspending the coil above the ground.  I worked a lot on this and finally scraped this ideal. The skies I haven't thought about that but I will have to give it some thought.

Im planing on taking a trip to the Florida coast and had even thought about going to the Dominican Republic and use it a lot.  For me where I live the price of a ticket is the same to fly to Florida as it is go Fly to the Dominican Republic.... go figure that one.

The other problem I had when I was testing it in Florida was  I had a million people come up to me and talk and ask questions.  I don't mind talking but after a while it got annoying when I was their to experiment because my time was limited and I couldn't get anything done or do some hunting. 

If you get a design that looks good give me a shout. I would like to see if your  skies work.  Its winter here so i have time to build and experiment.    I also found out that it is better to have the unit in front of you rather than behind you if you are using a four wheeler.  It gets more tiresome to sit on the four wheeler sideways because you were always looking the your cart, other wise it would get hung up.  In front of you, you sit naturally, and see whats ahead.  Thats when I tried to hookup a rig where it was suspended from the ground.  The problem was any movement with the four wheeler would make the loop swing and get false signals.

Hey one question a little off the subject that you might know.  On the gulf coast of florida, can you get in the water to metal detect. There on treasure coast it was against the law, so I was not sure if it was legal on the gulf coast side of Florida to get in the water.  There are some places that I would like to go and use my pulse star, but also I would like to get out in the waves about 50 - 150 feet from the shore.

let me know either way, and like i said if you build one try it out without your coil hooked to it.  I broke 2 cables on mine, and learned the hard way..

Keith

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg213352.html#msg213352

Offline FRANK1FM
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:27:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

I bought a book from Kellyco a while back called Hurricane Treasure-1715 Beach Sites.On page 55 it says "1715 fleet protected by admiralty claims.You may not use a metal detector in the water."As long as it's not a protected area under the law you can metal detect in the water.Same on land like a historic site or reserve.

It's interesting because you're doing exactly what I've been wanting to do in Florida with a PI detector,especially in the water.I've always said that all these sites in Florida and around the country where treasure has been buried but never found is because people are just using regular metal detectors.I live in New Jersey and have been doing research on Pennsylvania and NJ.It is a known fact that areas in these states have buried treasures and their locations are well known but no one to date has found them.

Not that I'm going to find them,but I guarantee no one ever used PI detectors with the square frames to go deep,which is what I plan on doing.I think the fact that so many people in Florida came up to you and asked questions about your detector proves my point.Now I know you can't use the large square frames for detecting small coins.

The PI detector I'm looking at goes up to 9-10ft using the 3ftX3ft square frame but it also has to be a large target.Your detector will go deeper which makes me think about getting your detector.Not sure what to do.

I'll keep you informed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg213365.html#msg213365

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:57:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

it was a hard decision to make, and I has asked around and no one had any opinion or had use a PI with a 4 X 4 coil so I went ahead and busted down and made the investment. I havent hit the jack pot but my chances are a lot better now.  Beside,, no one has covered the beach with a PI from what I could find, so if there is a gold bar or a silver bar, buried deep on the beach covered with sand trust me I will pick it up, being at the right place.

We think alike and to go deep to find those treasure deep in the sand and in the dirt you have to go with a PI. There is no other way, even with the very best of the best metal detectors.

At Kellyco just keep watching the price and make calls.  I know that when I bought mine it was on sale for a short time and I got a great deal.  If you keep calling them up they will work with you. I think they have a lot of markup on them and if they have good stock they want to get rid of them.

I will keep you informed when I get back to Florida. Like I said there are some places that i want to go from my research on the Gulf Coast. I just wish i could ride a four wheeler on the beach to pull it behind to cover a lot of ground.

There is a old mining town out west of where I live about a 3 mile drive one way.  It was more of a tent town than anything around 1859.  None of the historians no where it is, but they just have records that it was their.  What I have been doing is using my four wheeler and the PI to cover large areas which are areas which I think I would of setup camp to live for a year or two.  What I am looking for are any rusted cans or any parts from a wagon to show activity. Thats a fast way to find an area.  Really I am surprised on how many cans and things you can find in the middle of no where.  Last summer I found the door to a old stove that they used in the tents.  I will have to take a picture of it. It has a cool design on the front door.   After I found it I used my regular metal detector to cover the area.  That has worked for me with success, but you have to have a four wheeler to cover a lot of ground, and when you find an area like that there are lost of rusted cans so dig everything.

I'll keep you in touch with my Florida trip.  I might even go up to the coast first in North Carolina.  My ex wife returned back to where I live and left the car their so she wants me to drive it home clear across the USA to Utah.  If I do I will spend some days on the NC coast with my pulse star before I make the long drive.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg213556.html#msg213556

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was a multiline dealer for 25 yrs and all I can say is a 4200$ pulse from overseas (not china) from the mfg. cost about 800$ to 1500$ the rest is mark up for the dealer dist. Thats why Ive been trying to find some one to build me a pulse from a kit. As I understand it would only cost up too 300$ for a kit or mostly less and some one to set a price to build it. and a head. A lot of difference fr0m 4500$-6000$ to maybe 500$ from a made up kit with same depth.  I bought a pulse 2000 from A&S out of California for 300$ dealer cost was a good pulse and got silly and sold it to a friend to which he wouldnt sell it back,so am looking for someone to build me one from a kit or what ever with 1x1 m. head and a 18in head.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg221232.html#msg221232

Offline FRANK1FM
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Is $1100US dollars for the type of detector you want too expensive?I bought a Grizzly Twins from Bulgaria for $1000US dollars+$120 for shipping.I plan on buying another PI detector from Mikron in May.The detector is called The Pulse Master Pro.With 3ftX3ft frame plus 2 search coils.Cost is about $1100US dollars+shipping.You can see the PI detector at

Please Register or Login

www.mikronbg.com.Like
I said,I'll be buying it at the end of May.If you want I'll give you my evaluation after I receive it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28287.msg221288.html#msg221288

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: