[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BlackXTopic starter
Copper Member

Small government is beautiful.
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:25:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm trying to decide between a Tesoro Sidewinder uMax and a Whites Coinmaster Classic III for my first MD.  I've been digging around trying to find as much info as I can on the two but am having limited success so far so it's not clear to me which way I should go.  I finally found big enough pictures of the control panels of each to get a look at the controls and it looks like they basically have the same controls except that the Sidewinder has a pinpoint button and the Classic III has some sort of discrimination toggle (as well as a black sand toggle).  I've seen that the Tesoro will likely be lighter and use less battery power but I've seen some pretty rave comments about the Classic III.  Does the Tesoro lifetime warranty extend to 2nd owners? 

Does either machine have a particularly clear advantage over the other? 

A couple of other MDs that I might be able to buy are a Classic SL II--which just became available but I haven't researched yet--for just a little more and a Prizm III for $100 (which I really shouldn't do).  Would either of those make much more sense to get?

Thanks,
  _Rich_

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg2748.html#msg2748

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:44:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Rich and welcome to the forum.  I can't really say much about the other detectors you mentioned but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you input on them.  I can however answer your Tesoro warranty question.  If I remember right and if I'm wrong about this please someone set me straight but when I inquired with Tesoro last year about their warranty being honored  they had told me that the lifetime warranty was for the original purchaser.  This I would think wouldn't be much of a problem if a person bought a used Tesoro from a friend of theirs since they could have their friend send it in for them and use the warranty, if a person bought a second hand Tesoro elsewhere then maybe this would pose a problem.  Tesoro detectors are very good machines regardless though and hold their resale value quite well from what I have been told. 

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg2751.html#msg2751

Stringfrenzy

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 11:10:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Rich,

thanks for joining THunting.com.

Well, just recently I thought that my Tesoro Toltec II had stopped working. I had purchased it about 8 years ago, 2nd hand from eBay thus I did not have any warranty cards, bills or other documentation.

I wrote an e-mail to Tesoro explaining my situation and received a most postive reply within less than 24 hours!

Tesoro offered to repair my machine for free and they would even pay for teh shipping within the USA.

So I can't say for sure if the life time warranty is transferable but yes I think they would probably still repair your machine for free even if you bought it 2nd hand.

So as you can guess I'm a Tesoro fan.

Also their machines are very light weight and the heavier ones can simply be hip mounted (they don't need an extra hip mount kid).

A general piece of advice that I can give is not to take the 2nd best metal detector but to go for your candiate of choice even if it will cost a little more. If you don't want to spend too much on your machine you may consider byuing one pre-owned on eBay. This can safe you quite some money and usually a metal detector is not likely to break down if handled right.

The White's might probabky be a bit more deepseeking than the Sidewinder. Tesoro machines are in general a bit less deepseeking than other brands are (but for their Lobo).

Also you might be able to pick up a pre-owned Tesoro Toltec II on eBay for less than $200.00 which is an excellent machine and highly recommended. Easy to use. Okay depth and great discriminator.

Best wishes and hope I could help a bit,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg2978.html#msg2978

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline GhosTHunTR 6
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

143.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prism V, whites bullseye II pinpointer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:49:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

well i side with the whites, we are awaiting our whites prism V to get here within the next cpl days and i know warranty is transferable, but i believe it is 2 years free parts and labor...gregg

but you have to go with what your comfortable with,afford,etc..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg2985.html#msg2985

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:46:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Christian...that's great that Tesoro took care of your Problem.  I will have to keep that in mind that it was a 2nd hand unit.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg2989.html#msg2989

Stringfrenzy

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 11:23:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I ended up going for the Sidewinder uMax although I still have no clue if I made the best choice.  It's awful hard to find info on some of these older machines it seems. 

I've been using it pretty heavily since Sunday and I'm quickly realizing I wish I had more knobs.  Smiley  I'd like to be able to set the threshold as well as a manual ground balance.  But I guess I'll have to wait until I find that diamond ring out there waiting for me to do that.  (I'm actually much more into coins, which is what got me into this in the first place.)

Also wondering if the Coinmaster Classic III might not have been a better beach machine.

I'll post more in a more general thread since I'll be way off topic shortly. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg3073.html#msg3073

Offline sal
hello to all on the forum
Copper Member

I love detecting
hello to all on the forum
Thank you2

Activity
1%
Male
United States

318.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

exp2 tejon nexxus dfx teknetics mark1 compass coin scanner pro
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The sidewinder is a very good unit goes thru trash very well pinpoints very well also and very light,i would say the classic probably goes a little deeper than the tesoro and has a faster sweep speed both are good units though.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg19685.html#msg19685

i have tried many machines found out one thing as long as you are good and learn your machine well you will do well

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow, forgot I'd even posted this.  <g>

I ended up getting a Sovereign during the winter last year and just ordered a (used) Explorer SE.  Should be arriving tomrrow!   Grin

I sure do miss the lightness of the Tesoro though.

_Rich_

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg19686.html#msg19686

Offline Datasteve
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MP3
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 05:04:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

These are all great machines and good companies but why by used? I loved my whites coinmaster and used it until it virtually fell apart but when I got ready to get another I went to Kellyco and found they had state of the art MP Series for less then I could buy a used big brand name and they even had some of the big name for less then most used machines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,494.msg25405.html#msg25405

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: