[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by cw
well, sorry but all I can say that this website is useless... Thanks for the comment by the way.

Whaaaaat? Just because you show us chocolate chip cookies with no explanation, and now your nose is out of joint..... well, I never....

goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg49687.html#msg49687

goldigger

Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 05:19:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well we lost one there.... yep.... and a pile of rocks we'll never know anything about Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg49712.html#msg49712

KD

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 01:35:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is one rock among them that stands out as possible Old Spanish Treasure sign.  It's the one with two eyes and a spot for a tail.  I have seen very similar treasure signs down in Arizona...so need more information.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg102194.html#msg102194

Offline chrick53
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F75
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 05:38:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kendavid
Well we lost one there.... yep.... and a pile of rocks we'll never know anything about Wink
Grin Grin Grin  You guys are hysterical!!!!!   I'm sorry CW but I have to agree.  If you put a picture of some rocks that really don't look all that special then you have to give an explanation as to what you think they might be or where they came from.  No one can give advice on something they don't have enough information about.  I am not one to harrass people either (because I don't like to be harrassed) but some of the replies are funny and if you don't learn to laugh at yourself sometimes it can be a mighty rough life.  Cheer up and hang in there.  I am new to this sight also but I think there are some good folk here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg106356.html#msg106356

"If you dig enough holes you're gonna find something"

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 07:41:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

CW,
First of all the stones you have are not just "rocks" they are specimens! You went to the trouble to bring them home. That action alone makes them specimens!
Don't throw in the towel just yet. Believe me and I can surely tell you that I too had and experience with some of the characters on this forum.
I posted an unknown specimen and got some of the most ridiculous replies you could imagine.
Since I had some paleo experience I knew the specimen I had was unusual and stuck my foot in my mouth "Texans are renowned for that" when I asked for some input. Well I got some of the same stuff you got too. Your post left a lot of blank idealism open to these guys and if you do not at least have some explanation as to why you feel these specimens are significant. You leave yourself open to the business of "Funny".
BTW: My specimen is still left unresolved. I have taken it to SMU and to the Dallas Paleo group and they have no explanation for it. All I could get on it was that it may be a spike from a species of Dino. But then again they could not be positive. I was informed that there are a lot of discoveries yet to be made. Don't let these guys get you down, I did not let it get to me.
I'm still here putting in positive input most of the time.
But then again, I too have made someone's post  my own personal joke.
Look in the fossils meteorite section and go to page three find "Unknown".
You will see what I mean.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg106375.html#msg106375

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:49:51 am by Out4gold »

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Out4gold
CW,
First of all the stones you have are not just "rocks" they are specimens! You went to the trouble to bring them home. That action alone makes them specimens!
Don't throw in the towel just yet. Believe me and I can surely tell you that I too had and experience with some of the characters on this forum.
I posted an unknown specimen and got some of the most ridiculous replies you could imagine.
Since I had some paleo experience I knew the specimen I had was unusual and stuck my foot in my mouth "Texans are renowned for that" when I asked for some input. Well I got some of the same stuff you got too. Your post left a lot of blank idealism open to these guys and if you do not at least have some explanation as to why you feel these specimens are significant. You leave yourself open to the business of "Funny".
BTW: My specimen is still left unresolved. I have taken it to SMU and to the Dallas Paleo group and they have no explanation for it. All I could get on it was that it may be a spike from a species of Dino. But then again they could not be positive. I was informed that there are a lot of discoveries yet to be made. Don't let these guys get you down, I did not let it get to me.
I'm still here putting in positive input most of the time.
But then again, I too have made someone's post  my own personal joke.
Look in the fossils meteorite section and go to page three find "Unknown".
You will see what I mean.

Out4gold

So to sum it up, your experts have done no better than we have. That's not at all indicative of us being incorrect, mate. I seem to recall that your item was identified after all. Some sort of fossil clam shell hinge or something. Is that the one?

Specimens or not, they are just common rocks with no significance in their existence. What do you believe they are?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg107043.html#msg107043

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Out4gold
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
So to sum it up, your experts have done no better than we have. That's not at all indicative of us being incorrect, mate. I seem to recall that your item was identified after all. Some sort of fossil clam shell hinge or something. Is that the one?

Specimens or not, they are just common rocks with no significance in their existence. What do you believe they are?

To be precise, the stones that this guy posted are I think, just what they appear to be, specimens of common stones.
That my friend is what I think and what I think makes very little difference.
Having a little fun at the expense of others is not very courteous. I know I am guilty of this discretion but I keep it to a point of not insulting some ones integrity.

As far as what I posted, some of the replies I received from forum members were not just incorrect, but just poking fun at a serious question. I felt that maybe someone may have seen a similar specimen in their paleontological classes or perhaps in a museum.
Not clam hinge, not snail, nor is it fossil poo.
I particularly liked the ice cream comment.
There were a few other comments that were particularly amusing without being insulting. That's OK I guess.

The specimen is incomplete and all that was concluded was that it is a piece of bone. It is not an insect burrow. This was an observation from Lewis Jacobs "my expert" and if you google his name you will find out that he is well respected on the subject of Dino remains. I have respected and trusted his judgement and expertise beyond most.
If it is indeed a thumb spike, as was suggested, it is from a previously unknown species of Dino from the mid Cretaceous in North Texas. All of the surrounding matrix in the immediate area, where it was found, has a mixture of terrestrial and marine deposits.
I still hold out hope that it will someday be truly identified and get it off my
"What the heck is this" list.

My "Pseudo Unicornious" is still a mystery.

In retrospect maybe it was a mistake asking people who know little or nothing about paleo remains other than "it's a rock".
Have a good day mate and if you reply to this post please try a little discretion as to what you put out there for all to read. You being a Global moderator it is imperitive that you be a little more discretionary in your comments. Others follow your lead.
I don't think you were insulting but you stated that you thought it had been identified. No, it was not.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg107147.html#msg107147

Out4gold

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 04:50:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Out4gold,

By discrete, I presume you mean to never disagree with you. Here's the deal. You want to be pedantic about calling a rock brought home a specimen. Fine. So be it. Other than that, the comments above still are valid.

There is nothing special about the specimen rocks he dug up based on either his photograph or his comments. If anyone, including yourself, can bring up an argument to dispute that - again - so be it. But then despite your comments it seems that even you agree they are just stones. Specimen stones,of course. This is a discussion forum. If you are looking for a blog where you can control the comments on your words or disallow them entirely, you are in the wrong place. Discussions ensue on these boards. Sometimes people disagree. Sometimes even the experts are wrong. Sometimes a bit of humor creeps in. It's up to you to deal with it. Or not. Seriously. Clearly you have chosen the path of "or not." When that happens, you are again presented with a choice. Ignore the comments you don't like or present a counter argument. It can be a dilemma, all right. My advice is to grin and bear it.

In your comments above, pretending to take the high road and pointing at me saying I am a Global Moderator and I should be kinder is just plain wishful thinking. Would you expect unbridled kindness towards anyone who was giving you a really hard time? It's happened before, you know. Sometimes we moderators have to be a bit stern but that hasn't happened here at all in spite of your insinuating that it has. If you want to see stern, stand by. Soon enough some of the louts who have long since departed will have replacements here.

I do hope you find out what your item is. Sometimes even an amateur sleuth can turn up an answer for you. Why not go back to your original post on the matter and "refresh" it by making one more post to the topic. That will bring it back to the top and perhaps spark interest from new members who may just have the answer tucked away in their minds. Give it a try. See what happens.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg107226.html#msg107226

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:01:02 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Out4gold
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD,
Thank you for your input. I have not had much time to counter your post.  Boxing
You put up a pretty good arguement.  Violent
I will, when time allows, bring up my "Unknown Fossil" post to get it on the forefront.
That my friend is a positive and good suggestion. Idea
Please be patient, I have been very busy.
Have a good day and will get back soon. Waveing

PS:"ROCK ON"

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg107702.html#msg107702

Out4gold

Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

HOLY COW...i think I may have some of these specimens in my driveway..they are smaller so they must be dwarven rocks or babys. Bet I could sell then as pets...hmmmm pet rocks sweet i'll be rich...( sorry Lord that was so wrong to be sooo mean,,just put it on my tab,  thank you and see you in a bit)    Funny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7745.msg107717.html#msg107717

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: