[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline poptopTopic starter
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 33.0
Firefox 33.0

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:09:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It was supposed to be warmer when we got to San Antone, but the weatherman didn't get the memo. This
was going to be a hectic Christmas anyway and some warm sunshine would have been welcome. Tne hours
on the road and grampa was really feeling it as the kids rushed out to greet us; grandma grampa and
the funny Aunt. Joey didn't waste any time...'Bring your beep stick, Grampa?' You bet! Grampa smiled
as Joey received his first hug. Help me get some of this stuff into the house. Some holidays we
would go and spend a few days at my daughter and son-in-law's house. This was going to be a little
bit of a change. A Christmas holiday 90 minutes further South. Susan, Dave's mom had graciously
invited the three of us to come and stay at her house for her last Christmas in her Texas home. She
was a widow now with family and friends scattered around the globe, and the house in San Antonio had
grown too quiet. The house was up for sale and she wanted to be here surrounded with family for the
holiday. We got settled in and Joey disappeared but came back in just a few minutes with his hands
full. A Garrett Ace 350. It was a hint.

Joey's mom explained. The metal detector was one that Gino...the other grandpa... had purchased
after he heard about my new pastime. It seems that he had a mission. A few years back Susan had lost
a ring, an heirloom, gold with rubies and it had been missing somewhere in the backyard for years.
Gino was in poor health but he hoped to get back to the point he could use the detector to find
Susan's ring. It was not to be. Susan gave a little laugh...'Gino finally handed the detector to me
and told me to go find the ring and I tried but I didn't know how to use it. I doubt anyone will
find it after all this time.' "Well You have the 'ace' team on the job today. We'll find it, right
Joey?" It was mostly bluster. The most important thing was to spend some time with my 9 year old
grandson doing something we both enjoy.

Stepping off the back patio we got our game plan together. Grampa in the garden area next to the
fence and Joey taking the next swath about six feet in, at the edge of the lawn. this is Texas Hill
country so the soil is a strange mix of sticky clay with limestone gravel and sparse vegetation. The
area I was working had a barrier strip stapled down under mulch so it didn't take long for me to
dial away from the iron signals. We worked without headsets so we could hear each other as we went
along. Mostly because Grampa wanted to hear what was going on with both machines. About 10 minutes
passed and I got a promising beep just 2 notches above pulltab. scraping away the mulch I found the
aluminum tag from a long-gone rose...Rats! A few steps later, another signal about like the last.
A little plug and a drag across with the Lesch and there was the shine of gold with red
settings."Joey! I think we are done!" I held up the ring. "Wow! good work grampa. Can I take it in
to show grandma?" "Sure, hang on." By that time I had picked up my shovel and other gear and
couldn't easily get the ring out of the wad of stuff in my hands so I laid it all down. Carefully I
thought, but when I tried to pick the ring off the ground from where I laid it, I couldn't find it.
Simple, of course, we had our metal detectors with us. We both swung...crosstalk. Joey swung over
the spot, nothing. I swung over and around the spot, nothing. I said 'Joey, you know if we don't
find this ring again we can't go back in the house!' It would be silly, I thought about how it was
going to sound...'Yep we found that ring all right but I lost it again. aa-hyuk!' 'O.K Joey, swing one
more time right here.' We got the beep and narrowed it down to about 4 square inches and I got down
on my hands and knees and started massaging the grass with my fingertips and up it came. I took
Joey's wrist and placed the prize in his palm and closed his fingers around it. "This thing wants to
get away! Don't open your hand until you are in front of your grandmother." I was happy to witness
one really surprised lady and the 'Ace' team both got hugs.

O.K. Joey, let's have that chess game now. And Joey? Go get your handkerchief. You're going to need it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg287576.html#msg287576

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 37.0
Firefox 37.0

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Epilogue: Joey is now the proud owner of his grandfathers metal detector, and I finally managed to get a picture of the ring. Poptop.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg296569.html#msg296569

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

last.440.jpg
last.jpg
thering.jpg

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:44:14 pm by poptop »

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 42.0.2311.135
Chrome 42.0.2311.135

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:01:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good to see them start young.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg296570.html#msg296570

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 37.0
Firefox 37.0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:03:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My bet is  he is a bEEper  for life. Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg296571.html#msg296571

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 42.0.2311.135
Chrome 42.0.2311.135

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:10:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You just give him a few years and he'll be giving us a trick or two.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg296573.html#msg296573

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 37.0
Firefox 37.0

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, gents. He was using my centech pin-pointer 2 years ago and pulling up dimes in the park! Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg296591.html#msg296591

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you293

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:21:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Love the picture of Joey and his detector!  congrats on the ring find!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,58467.msg296693.html#msg296693

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: