[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline EJTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Eldorado
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:55:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi everyone, I just got an Eldorado that I bought on Ebay. I've had it 3 days and all I've got to compare it to is an old BH Fast Tracker, which ain't much. I made a test garden but I'm not having much luck. I marked the spots but is the machine supposed to make a different sound for different metals? And my discriminate is off by one mark or so. For instance, the Iron setting still picks up iron, and it will just start disc out iron at the arrow. At 5cent it will still ring on nickel and just starts to disc nickel out at pulltab and so forth. IS this normal or did I not understand the manual? I downloaded my manual from the Tesoro site. I have the newer eldorado that came out in 2001-2006. So far I've only dug iron in my yard. I found one big hunk, don't have a clue what it is. A bunch of nails, etc. Today I found a horseshoe looking item, but not a true horseshoe. I had iron disc'd out but it still seems to be picking up larger items, (horsehsoe was about 4" x 4". I live on a 100 yr old home place. They must have thrown old metal out in the yard often. Any tips anyone can offer would be appreciated. ALSO I'm having trouble pinpointing. I wish I could afford a pinpointer but the machine set me back $200 and husband is not wanting to fund my hobby anymore until I find something of value! I do have the ground balance down I think. Thanks a lot, EJ

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8375.msg52336.html#msg52336

Old Tickers never die, they just tick off beat.......EJ

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

EJ,

The issue of discrimination is a guessing process, not an exact scientific adjustment. It works best on small targets of the type you adjust it for. The reason for that is because most folks using the detector will be hunting for small objects like coins and jewelry. If you work for relics, the discrimination is moot. You should have it off and use all metal for that.

As to the metal in your yard, over 100 years cars have been repaired, the house built, horses with their tack probably visited, garden tools used, lawn mowers used, rototillers used, children have dug with spoons, picnics held and all manner of activity. Don't give up. Figure out where the clothesline was and start there. Shaking those shirts and trousers before hanging them up will have flung many a coin into the grass.

Pinpointing can be done in a number of ways but a process called "X-ing the target" is one I use. When you have a good hit, run your coil over it several times making a patterned X over the target. If it still sounds over too big an area, lift the coil and repeat. Do it again and again lifting it each time until you have the smallest possible area of target return. Keep your coil as level to the ground as you can and the target will be directly down from the sound point. A tip. Stick a fluorescent green or red dot on the coil center. Focus your eyes on it and when you pull away the coil keeping your eyes on the ground, the negative image will appear as a ghost dot right over your target on the grass. Those dots come in sheets at an office supply company so you can replace them when needed.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8375.msg52345.html#msg52345

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:14:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hay EJ,

The disc must be learned.

I have four different kinds of Tesoeoes and
each one has a different back ground.

I never look past the knob it self. I am unaware
of what is behind it. It is an estimation that is
of use only to a beginner.

There is only a single tone.

To me everyhings usually sounds as it should.
I can tell iron, large or small. I can tell a lot
just by listening.

The discriminator is used to determin conductivity.
When you can properly ID size and conductivity,
you will be well on your way.

I get more out of these single tone machines than
I ever did from a display.

That takes a lot of practice.

I learned tons when I tried to rid a playground
of tens of thousands of little pieces of shreaded
aluminum one winter.

For months I would go down the street to that
tot lot and recover one or two thousand targets
on each trip.

People do not want to put that kind of effort in