[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CANITopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

545.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TESORO, GARRETT, BOUNTY HUNTER
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All the threads I've read about the compadre with the small coil (5.75"), everybody says they can get real close up to the jungle gyms and such, but with mine (great machine by the way) i can't get any closer than around eight or ten inches with out it going off. I know by their nature they are pretty sensitive machines, but is mine super sensitive or could the sensitivity have been turned up somehow?(i bought it used 100.00) It works great otherwise, i am just wishing i could get a little closer to the lot equipment. Any ideas would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  CANI

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13198.msg83489.html#msg83489

THANKS, CANI

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:10:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tilt the coil slightly with the handle going towards the direction of the pipe.

If you look a the Smith Chart for a flat wound, air core coil, which is what is used in the Compadre, inside the plastic, you will see an area of very concentrated flux lines quite near to the edge of the coil. The flux density at the edges is actually the strongest point of detection when you are close to metal. If you tilt the coil ever so slightly away from the horizontal, you minimize the field that touches the metal tubing and can get a bit closer.

This phenomenon is also what allows those of us in the know to use the edge of our coils as pinpointing devices. Yes, it's true. Because the flux lines are dense and close to the coil, you won't get any depth (distance) from the edges but you will get the ability to sense close up targets with amazing accuracy. Try it sometime and see. Run the edge of your coil over that pile of dirt containing the mystery target and see how close it gets to finding the precise location.

When the flux field blossoms out from the top and bottom of the coil, it is very large and very weak but covering a large area. This is what gets you some real depth from a coil. I read all the time where people try to increase their output power to get better depth but they really can't do much better than they can from the stock design. It's all a matter of physics. But they keep trying and, while doing so, have some real fun.

One other tip is this. Slow down, let the swamping level itself out and move at a fix distance from the pole after that happens. You'll find targets to the poles that others missed. And by the way, the bigger coil is much too sensitive along the edge to do anything near a pole.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13198.msg83501.html#msg83501

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:18:18 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CANITopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

545.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TESORO, GARRETT, BOUNTY HUNTER
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks goldigger, I'll give that a try.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13198.msg83512.html#msg83512

THANKS, CANI

Offline Beachcomber
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT C Scope 550 Minelab Quattro Compadre
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:48:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi

Don't sweep your detector;

Just scan parallel to the metallic structure you want to approach, as you would do with a no motions detector.

I practice so and can approach metallic chairs on beach bars here with a Compadre w/ 8" coil !. Great locations to find cash !

HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13198.msg84816.html#msg84816

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: