[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As you may know Wise the Sand shark is a PI machine that uses pulses of RF rather than a continuous emission as do VLF machines. What that means in practical terms is that the advantages and disadvantages of VLF are gone. The penalty is PI machines don't discriminate between metal types. They do not give information as to shape or size or depth readily as do VLF machines. What they do well is ignore subtle changes in the ground characteristics thus making for a quite, and smooth metal detecting operation over a wide variety of ground types. The one place where this is especially advantageous is in salt water where VLF machines loose sensitivity rapidly in an effort to accommodate the extreme and changing conductivity of the medium the machine is operating in. While the PI machine is also effected by the high conductivity of the sea water, the circuitry deals with it better giving a deeper and quieter detection capability in salt water. That is why PI is generally preferred for surf hunting.

This week I made three 2 hour hunts on Clearwater Beach on the Gulf Coast of Florida. These hunts were confined to the surf from 2" to 4' depths of water. The weather was cool in the early morning  and waves were about 1 foot high all three days. Beach attendence was over a thousand on the weekend and in the hundreds each week day. I observed 40 people in the water on the weekend and about 10 on week days.  The section of beach I worked was about 1/8 mile long in front of the main life guard station.

I've heard 'the best place to find treasure is where it is lost and that most treasure is found where the people lose it.'  Which is almost like saying 'gold is where you find it"   Except for the occasional Rolex or wedding band people don't generally carry treasure to the beach. That fact is offset by the fact that when they do go in the water, there is a good probability they will lose it. Fingers shrink from the salt water exposure. Waves will break chains and bathing suite pockets turn inside out.  So this is why detectors go to the beach.

The notable finds for these three days were as follows:  18 bobby pins, 4 large hoop earrings, 2 smaller earrings, $1.06 in clad including 2 quarters, 3 nickles and 2 dimes, 3 matchbox cars,  several fish hooks, 2 lead sinkers. I spent most of the time digging bobby pins which were everywhere. I gradually became able to distinguish bobby pins / fish hooks from larger targets and ignored them. (bobby pins and fishhooks usually go through the scoop holes on the first attempt to dig them out)

No Rolex, no gold rings. Which is not surprising for only 6 hours of hunting. The good news was I found no bottle caps and almost no other trash. The bad news is I spent most of my time digging bobby pins and fish hooks, something I didn't expect. Huh? I figured the hunts would be plagued with bottle caps and foil but it wasn't. :Smiley The maximum depth of any dig was about 4 inches which was for a 2 oz fishing weight. 

The Tesoro Sand Shark performed as advertised, It found all targets iron and lead etc. It operated spooky quite compared to my other machines and it handled beautifully in water from 6" to 4 feet. With the controls on my belt and out of the way around back, the coil and staff was extremely light and easy to handle in the water. In water less than 6 inches, waves tended to cause the flat coil to come off the bottom and a heavier coil would have been an advantage, but in deeper water the thin coil slid over the bottom and my arm did not get tired so long as I didn't try to force the swing. Detecting All in all the sand shark is a good choice for hunting in salt water 1 to 4 feet in depth where there are few iron trash targets. The controls which seem heavy and bulky on land are light and out of the way in the water and on your belt. The headphones were knocked off by a wave or two that caught me off guard but were comfortable and light weight and can be worn continuously for at least 2 hours.  Smiley

I'm looking forward to going back to this beach next week for another 6 hours of hunting. Maybe I will find a Rolex then.  Grin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230260.html#msg230260

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Went out again yesterday to same beach. The weather was pleasant till about 10:00 AM.  Surf hunted for about 3 hours. There were two detectors in the water and one on the beach and about 30 people on the beach and five or six swimmers at 9:00 AM.  Found some clad, another earring and lots more bobby pins. Met a guy with a Excaliber II and a really neat beach scoop. It looks like the VLF detectors are preferred here because of the discrimination capability.  I can see it's a trade off. I dug lots of iron but also I didn't dig any False signals. If the sand shark says its metal, its metal. This might just outweigh the discrimination thing. After all there are some things like chains and small rings that give an iron response and you would miss these if you didn't dig them. This is a clean beach and all targets are far apart.  Smiley

Did a quick burial test with the sand shark. It found my watch under 6" of sand, A quarter at 5", and a small silver ring at 3". all gave good solid repeatable signals.  These tests were done in about 6" of water.  The pulse width setting didn't make much difference. It was about the same as turning the volume up.  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230676.html#msg230676

Offline aluminizer
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac, T-2, Red Baron VLF/SPD
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great   Thanks for the rundown.  I think its great when someone will take the time to review thier thunting experiance.  Your review really helps us all to make an accurate assesment of what we are able to do with our machines and gives us an idea of what the Sand Shark can do.  I think its good entertaining reading too.

Thanks again and keep swingin.

Clapp Clapp Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230686.html#msg230686

Keep Swingin

If some is good and more is better then too much is just right!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:06:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yes and thank you aluminizer, I've got nothing much else to do than metal detecting and sharing the results with you people.  Smiley

I also enjoy reading about and seeing the photos of some of the trips made by other detectorist. That is why I spend time on the .Detecting in South Africa. thread. there are some guys there that post notes about their trips as well as their finds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230945.html#msg230945

Offline aluminizer
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
I've got nothing much else to do than metal detecting and sharing the results with you people.

Then you need to do more so we can live vicariously through your experiences Kiss

HEHE

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230949.html#msg230949

Keep Swingin

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So we want to know what a Double Eagle sounds like. Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230951.html#msg230951

Offline aluminizer
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:53:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
o we want to know what a Double Eagle sounds like.

I second that

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg230953.html#msg230953

Keep Swingin

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A successful treasure hunt makes a good story especially with pictures and sound.   Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg231075.html#msg231075

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 01:04:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I really like this machine and my Tiger Shark, too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg231121.html#msg231121

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Stilldiggin65
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace250 & Sandshark
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:58:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have the sand shark. It's a great machine. I like the weight and the sound it makes. If it gives you a signal then it's there .I am going to but a new scoop over the winter months so I will be ready for the water next March or April.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37422.msg238035.html#msg238035

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: