[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Justin Credible
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Vaquero
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 10:49:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Annie,

I?ve been using a Vaquero for about 5 months now and it?s my first detector since I used a Micronta 3001 in the late 70s.  I?m still learning it too.

If you?re looking for coins, here?s a suggestion. 

Try hunting at a modern park or elementary school.  What I?d call modern is post 1960 and most coins to be found are clad, copper, zinc.   Schools and parks which host organized sports (baseball, soccer, football) are good spots.  If there are older schools and parks available that?d be a bonus, you may find a silver coin or two.

In the parks/schools near me I can typically find 10 to 15 modern coins in 1 to 1 ? hours time. 

After ground balancing, set the discriminator to the MAX line and turn the threshold to max.  That?ll get rid of most junk/iron.  It?ll also get rid of nickels too, but if the area is post 1960, you most likely won?t be missing any buffalo?s.   

The reason I make this suggestion is that it?ll help you get more familiar with the signal a coin can produce.
The signal will be mostly consistent in any direction you swing the coil.  Plus pin-pointing or ?X?ing will be fairly simple.   The more you hear the signal, the more you?ll be able to recognize it.

After you start feeling more comfortable with the sound a coin can make, lower the discriminator.
I often set mine just at the 11 o?clock side of 5cents.  Through air testing I?ve learned setting the discriminator directly at the 5cent line will eliminate nickels (at least on my unit).  So, when the discriminator is set below the nickel line, and I get a hit, if I move the discriminator knob with my thumb to the 5cent line, and if the sound goes away, the target may be a nickel.  I still get plenty of pull tabs doing with this technique. 

All the best!   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg64017.html#msg64017

Offline raterry
Copper Member

A lot of ground to cover
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

215.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Compadre, Tejon, Fisher CZ3D, Garrett Master Hunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 07:01:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi there,
 I own a Tejon and let me say that I enjoy using it. With your problem with all the iron that you are detecting, you could try a smaller coil or raising your discrimination level. I have dug several pounds of iron wih my Tejon and one thing I notice is that the iron was round in shape or large. But, I do a lot of relic hunting and the Tejon, Vaquero and Cibola are great for relic hunting. Also you could try raising your coil a little higher than normal. That helps me sometime. Keep at it, you will succeed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg69619.html#msg69619

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

MVC-016F.jpg

Offline annie122607Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

vaquerso, minelab excalibur, tejon tesoro
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 03:04:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for your advice at least I know I'm not alone. What size coil would you sugeest?  i  was just walking  the beach and looking for sea glass and yes I find an old spoon.  Im in the pounds of iron to. I cant take it any more. So Im looking around for a new dectector that can show what Im looking at and really discrimintate against iron. I could have built a house with all the old nails I have found,oxs hhoes, draft horses, chains. I certainly found farm items.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg70108.html#msg70108

Dream
For as you dream you will become

Offline raterry
Copper Member

A lot of ground to cover
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

215.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Compadre, Tejon, Fisher CZ3D, Garrett Master Hunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 06:34:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you are in an area that has a abundance of iron, you could try the 5.75 inch coil. I know mine helps me work through the iron. A widescan double d wouldn't be of much help. Also most detectors are going to have a problem with large pieces of iron. I have a Fisher CZ3D, 4 tones and all and occasionally it will sound off on a piece of iron as a item of more value. Size and shape has a lot to do with it. Try slowing down your sweep and raising your discrimination a little bit. But as other people have said and I believe it to be true, when you raise your discrimination, you are also knocking out gold rings and some silver rings. I know that with my Tejon, I can max out the discrimination and still get coins.  With any detector, there is a learning curve. Be patient and stick with it, you'll have good luck soon.

RT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg70140.html#msg70140

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Annie, you luck is about to change! As a famous bank robber once said when asked why he robbed banks: "because that is where the money is". If you have been hunting for a year and haven't found any coins then you are probably hunting where there are no coins. Try Public places where money changes hands or parks where people doing lots of physical activity or fair grounds. One of my favorites is fair grounds. When I was traveling around in the 60's I took a job at the lake Pontchartrain Amusment park in New Orleans. Every night the ride operator would get out his metal detector and sweep the ground under the tilti-whirl. five dollars in quarters was a poor take. You don't have to rob banks but you do have to hunt where money was lost.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg70153.html#msg70153

Offline BerntOut
Copper Member

Life is Good!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From your posts I gather you are hunting in the same area over and over again. One thing is eventually you will get all the iron cleaned out and at least you are finding something!
Try searching different places. Let your imagination run and imagine where might be a good area to search for what you are wanting to find. My consideration for hunting is anyplace people have gathered at any point of time for any reason. I stopped by an old long closed salvage yard,  and got a few bucks of clad and a couple of wheat pennies out of the parking lot. I had a blast doing it and I proved to myself there are treasures anywhere I look.
I am no expert but I find something every day I MD...and I go out most every day. I have been hitting different public areas and parks, schools and sports fields near my home. Today I hit a small area at the local City College and found a lot of clad and some interesting jewelry. I am having a blast finding anything. Worthless or not it is all interesting and I always am wondering how it got there. Don't be in a hurry to find all the treasure out there because nobody can. Take others advice from this forum and apply them to your specific way of hunting. Not everybody finds valuable treasure...although to me, anything I scratch out of the earth is treasure. Enjoy being outside and getting excited when that machine speaks to you. I have heard good things about Tesoro's. My Whites MXT has indicators but I have found they are not always accurate and I tend to listen to the tones and dig accordingly.  Digging "junk" comes with the territory. If you aren't digging junk, you are not going to finding treasures and there is not a metal detecting machine made that will find only treasures.
Bernt

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg70160.html#msg70160

Offline annie122607Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

vaquerso, minelab excalibur, tejon tesoro
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 11:08:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks everyone , I have tried one park even all old ymca camp , i got a few pennies but i think some one said old water pipes in ground  Maybe I really have had bad luck in the places I have gone. I just got a mine lab excailbur for the water, I really want something not by  sound but by a read out asa back on land, . What does anyone think about the cortes? I was thinking also sending my tesero back for a look just to see if something was off. Worth a shot. I like the depth they have and the weight is great on my shoulder which had a  tear a few years ago. I dont like the pin point. I do think getting a smaller coil may help to\ What would you say is the best tesero with a screen to purchase and size coil, to find gold jewery, coins, etc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg70176.html#msg70176

Dream
For as you dream you will become

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:18:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger's got some pretty good dang advice!  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9762.msg70200.html#msg70200

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: