[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline AzwipTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Silver uMax
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, I know, strange question, but here goes? my questions revolve around the conditions etc, for when you found a valuable item.  If you could address things like:

1.)   What was the find (such as ?small gold earring?, etc)
2.)   Where was it found (such as ?in a park?, ?sandy tot lot? etc)
3.)   What were your uMax settings when you found the item (such as All Metal, sensitivity at 9)
4.)   Swing rate (Fast, slow, etc)
5.)   What was the sound and why did you dig it?  Such as ?Good solid, well rounded, loud, just ?had? to dig it?, etc etc.
6.)   Did you try to discriminate it at any point, if so, what were the results?
7.)   Target depth, was at 3 inches.
8.)   Misc?  whatever you would like to add.  (-;

Being still a rookie with my uMax, I am curious and am hoping this kind of info. Will help others with their Silver uMax.  I?ll kick it off with my most valuable item so far (ok, not worth too much, but was fun, ha ha).

Found a small silver (it was stamped) pendant, about half the size of a pencil eraser in a tot lot about 3 inches under loose sand.
Settings were at All Metal, sensitivity was around 9.  Medium speed swing, not too slow, not too fast.
Came across as a subtle blip. Not very loud, but as I was still so new to this, I went after it. It was a repeatable hit though.  Can?t recall if I tried to use discriminate to see where it would have discriminated out at (although that would have been good to know I guess).

Anyways stuff like that.  Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13320.msg84141.html#msg84141

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

cool,hope to see a pic of that pendant,there a simple rule when ya first start out,(even if yer a seasoned pro at mding)dig it all till ya become one with yer md

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13320.msg84144.html#msg84144

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:58:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I swing a Vaquero which is not a whole lot different than a Silver UMax.  I concentrate more on sounds rather than settings.    I try to pick out the 'good'  sounds from all the beeps, squawks, burps and growls the machine makes.  For what it's worth, when coin hunting I run my discriminator in the iron range, below the nickle setting.   The sensitivity setting is all over the board depending on how vocal the Vaquero becomes.   Sometimes I run it at 9 other times 5 or 6. 

When one of those rare occasions occurs and I do manage to blunder on to something valuable. I am usually too flabbergasted to remember what the details concerning the search were. Detecting Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13320.msg84178.html#msg84178

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Silver uMax
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:47:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks folks, reckon I still have tons to learn... no gold found yet, ha ha.  Did go out again over the weekend... found a small (child size) silver bracelet (although not sure if this one is real as no stamp etc)... but still no gold.  Wink

Below nickel on mine is Foil... if I set to the O in Foil, I still get some foil... foiled again, and again, ha ha.

Tried a elementary school last night... was not gonna dig, was just looking for "surface" stuff... as I really only had about a 40 minute window... so ran in the FOIL Disc mode... still went off all over the place... got kind of frustrating, as even when I "upped" the Disc to beyond Nickel... it still went nuts... of course as I dug nothing, not sure, maybe they were all coins etc, ha ha.  Suuuuuuure they were.

Again, lots to learn thats for sure.

Its funny, did some air tests and filled in a speadsheet with the findings etc... was strange though, as when I disc. in the Nickel range, I still had my gold ring at about 6 inches... would have thought it would not have showed up?

Thanks again folks, sure is a fun hobby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13320.msg84854.html#msg84854

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Azwip
Thanks folks, reckon I still have tons to learn... no gold found yet, ha ha.  Did go out again over the weekend... found a small (child size) silver bracelet (although not sure if this one is real as no stamp etc)... but still no gold.  Wink

Below nickel on mine is Foil... if I set to the O in Foil, I still get some foil... foiled again, and again, ha ha.

Tried a elementary school last night... was not gonna dig, was just looking for "surface" stuff... as I really only had about a 40 minute window... so ran in the FOIL Disc mode... still went off all over the place... got kind of frustrating, as even when I "upped" the Disc to beyond Nickel... it still went nuts... of course as I dug nothing, not sure, maybe they were all coins etc, ha ha.  Suuuuuuure they were.

Again, lots to learn thats for sure.

Its funny, did some air tests and filled in a speadsheet with the findings etc... was strange though, as when I disc. in the Nickel range, I still had my gold ring at about 6 inches... would have thought it would not have showed up?

Thanks again folks, sure is a fun hobby.

It depends upon the mass of the gold ring. Anyone warning you about discrimination and missing gold always says, SMALL gold rings will be missed. Not ALL gold rings.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13320.msg84864.html#msg84864

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Silver uMax
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:15:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are correct... am thinking, best to just hunt in all metal, and gig em.   Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13320.msg84868.html#msg84868

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: