[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377Topic starter
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm considering getting a Silver uMax.    I understand that it does really good in most conditions, but it's not too hot when it comes to wet sand (as in Gulf Coast beaches that aren't yet covered in oil).   

Do any of you Tesoro fans have experience hunting the beach with this machine? And if so, are there any tips you can provide for getting the most out of it in wet sand?  (I know that the Garrett Ace 250, also has a rep of not being good in wet sand, but that it's problems are easy to overcome and it actually does well.  I'm hoping the same thing is true with the Silver uMax.)

Thanks,

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15551.msg99956.html#msg99956

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:38:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My Compadre has no bad habits at the beach. I tried the Silver uMax before I bought the Compadre and the way I use my machine (all metal - dig every target) makes the uMax a bit of overkill. No, make that a lot of overkill.

The Compadre performs very well in wet sand and in the surf soup near the shoreline. The uMax was only on test at a dealer's test patch so I can't give you any comments on beach use. I did take it outside though and use it along a grassy area. Good result. I found a few coins there but nothing to write home about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15551.msg100290.html#msg100290

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377Topic starter
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, GD

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15551.msg100293.html#msg100293

Offline thepest
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:03:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

the tigershark... and the compadre..... use the same 12 kHz Frequency circuit... the compadre is a kinda tigershark xtra light if you will..... and for the money..... it's dynamite at the beach.....
   the silver umax .... i have read.... is a great lil beach comber.....and like the cibola.... all you have to do.... is cut back on the sensitivity when it gets chirpy...

Please Register or Login

http://maxtreasure.com/silverfieldtest.html

( taken from this link )
I took the Silver ?Max to a local salt water beach and spent several hours scooping modern coinage from impressive depths in the dry sand. I did note that upon entering the wet salt beach area, I had to back the sensitivity down to about #4 before it became completely quiet again. Even at that power setting, I dug several badly corroded coins from 5" to 8" in depth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15551.msg100307.html#msg100307

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: