[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I picked up one of the new fixed coil Tiger shark for discrimination purpose for fresh water searches and it is very sensitive and deep.  This weekend I was called out to the coast for a salt water search and I was excited to try it out in "salt" mode for the first time.... Total fail!  could not ground balance for the life of me.  Very frustrating after a 6 hr. drive and a ferry ride to find a white gold ring for someone.  I always carry a back-up, and I did find the ring in the ocean, but still a little frustrated about the Tesoro unit in Salt mode.
I understand how the GB the unit as listed bellow

Ground balance for the NORM Mode: Turn your GROUND ADJUST knob clockwise or towards the positive side for 5 full turns. This will take you past the end range of the GROUND ADJUST potentiometer. The knob has no end stops, but you may notice a very slight increase in the drag of the knob as it passes the 3 and 3/4 mark. By turning the knob 5 full turns clockwise, we are assured that the GROUND ADJUST is in the very farthest positive position. Once you are at the positive position, turn the GROUND ADJUST knob a 1/2 turn counterclockwise or towards the negative side. This is an air test position only that will let you proceed with the rest of the Quickstart.

Ground balance for the SALT Mode: Turn your GROUND ADJUST knob counterclockwise or towards the negative side for 5 full turns. This will take you past the end range of the GROUND ADJUST potentiometer. The knob has no end stops, but you may notice a very slight increase in the drag of the knob as it passes the 3 and 3/4 mark. By turning the knob 5 full turns counterclockwise, we are assured that the GROUND ADJUST is in the very farthest negative position. Once you are at the negative position, turn the GROUND ADJUST knob 1 turn clockwise or towards the positive side.

Lift your detector straight off of the ground about 6 to 8 inches. Keep the coil parallel to the ground. At that height, your detector will not be affected by the ground mineralization. As you lower the coil, the detector will read the ground matrix and let you know how to adjust to achieve aground balance. (Note: You must lift your coil straight up. Do not swing it like a pendulum.) Once you have got a steady threshold, quickly lower the coil straight down to approximately 1 inch off of the ground and listen to any change that may occur in the threshold. You will hear one of three sounds: 1) the threshold will get louder or go positive 2) the threshold will go quiet or become negative, or 3) the threshold will stay the same.

Both threshold and gain are set the lowest levels and it still goes silent on the down phase and screams on the up phase.... no mater what adjustments are made... makes no difference.

I do plan on sending it in tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem?

I do understand that single frequency is still difficult and loss of depth is inevitable, but this detector is used for recent drops only so I'm not that worried about loss of depth... I just could not GB for neither love nor money!

James
TheRingFinders.com

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258498.html#msg258498

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mine works superbly. Perhaps you should send yours back for warranty repair before you give a bad review like this one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258506.html#msg258506

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:03:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I haven't had any experience with the tiger shark, but I do know that Tesoro customer support is very good.   I expect that if there is a problem with the machine they will make it right quickly.

Please let us know the results.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258509.html#msg258509

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:06:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually, giving this some thought without knowing the circuitry inside, I can see where an incorrect value of a part could cause this issue and, drum roll please, since the factory test probably doesn't include a nearby salt water beach, it may have slipped out the door with a wrong part in it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258510.html#msg258510

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:15:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

I thought about a QC issue my self... and just for a retort here GD.. its not a review... its an issue that I was looking for a common thread from another user of the MD.  I like Tesoro and I chose wisely for the purpose based on my needs.  I would not change my decision based on my experience here.  If this was a review, it would be longer and much more thorough.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258525.html#msg258525

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:44:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Viracocha
and just for a retort here GD

It's only a 'retort' if you consider this a discussion or an argument. It's not. As a moderator, I was being as kind as I could be in advising you to keep your comments to yourself until you are certain what caused your problem. Far be it from me to suggest that it was operator error but the truth is, that is most often the case. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258528.html#msg258528

Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My "Argument" has merit and deserves a retort based on the perception that you believed that my above statement is a review as I do not!  Ergo retort.  Following some basic Robert Rules of order based on your precipitated view on the subject, I felt the retort as a requirement to the discussion, don't you.... And since my keyboard does not allow for an interrobang, I will simply put !?

ps GD there really is no point to ad "As as moderator" to this apparent start to a puddle stomping display of a reflection deity..... I can read thanks... oh and thank you sooo much for your gracious merciful gesture "I was being kind" verbiage. Now if I can only find a keystroke for sarcasm...

I feel sticking to the topic, without anybody's feathers getting ruffled, is a good start, as this is a good topic and should be shared.

As a litmus test to the fragility of your Mod ego.. I guess we will see how long this stays posted... good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258560.html#msg258560

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I feel sticking to the topic, without anybody's feathers getting ruffled, is a good start, as this is a good topic and should be shared.

You should have waited until you were absolutely certain it was the fault of the machine. I suggest to you that it may have been purely operator error but until now, I was being kind. Since you persist in wanting to argue, your choice may run you afoul of all the moderators, not just me. Such is life. You don't suffer criticism well, do you?

Posted on: May 19, 2013, 12:41:05 AM
I do plan on sending it in tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem?

I told you explicitly that I did not with my machine. It performed flawlessly on salt beaches and in the water.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258563.html#msg258563

Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Mine works superbly. Perhaps you should send yours back for warranty repair before you give a bad review like this one.

GD I think the part that is the proverbial "Bee in my Bonnet" is that if you read the post you would see that I was already sending it in for warranty repair.  My purpose here was to share experience with ground balancing with a single frequency VLF like Tesoro and share ideas about the issues.

GD you are well educated and I have read many of your posts, but you do get ruffled and jump to conclusions pretty quick sometimes.  This is free information and should be treated as such and valued based on ones own experience and needs.

I guess for myself, I have an issue with "Moderation" when it comes to collective exchange of abstract thinking and POVs...   meh!  I might be a little sensitive that way.. what do you do.... makes for good reading and seeds for future ideas though!

Posted on: May 18, 2013, 04:53:42 PM
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
You don't suffer criticism well, do you?

I don't suffer criticism, I suffer dullard statements.  Call it my weakness.. Superman has his Kryptonite sic

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258569.html#msg258569

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 05:21:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gentlemen, can we please table this discussion about who is right and who is wrong until after Viracocha hears back from Tesoro?   At this point you're both risking making yourself look foolish for jumping to conclusions with insufficient evidence.   I'm genuinely interested in hearing if there is a problem with the machine and if there is what Tesoro does to make it right, how long it takes, and how well it works after Viracocha gets back.  And if it turns out that Tesoro can not find a problem I want to hear that to along with any practical advise they may give him.

I really don't want to read the two of you carrying on a debate about who might or might not have been carried away and who might or might not be sensitive and not suffer criticism well.   After all, up until now at least, you are both well respected members of this forum.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258573.html#msg258573

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: