[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree... no more mud wrestling... I will wait till I get a reply from Tesoro before commenting on the subject.  But if it turns out not to be operational error.... it's ON GD... prepare for a "pile-driver" out of nowhere .. Muhahahaha

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258576.html#msg258576

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
5%
Male
Australia

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
both well respected members of this forum

Well said BA
I would like very much to hear Tesoro’s solution. I don’t own one but I found that there are beaches that my seahunter can’t be balanced. And that’s because the ground it’s tooooo hot.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258578.html#msg258578

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:05:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Viracocha
But if it turns out not to be operational error.... it's ON GD... prepare for a "pile-driver" out of nowhere

Watch yourself your pushing the line. I think in your best interest you need to drop this subject now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258580.html#msg258580

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

But if it turns out not to be operational error.... it's ON GD...

No, mate. It's STILL on you and always will be because you jumped the gun. Like I said, don't do this kind of slam until you KNOW FOR CERTAIN what the cause is. This has NOTHING to do with me except in your mind. You are a member here and as such you are expected to behave. I simply warned you from my position as moderator. YOU are the one who escalated this. Likes Seldom said, you are pushing the line.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258582.html#msg258582

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 12:31:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

It sure didn't look like a review to me!
After reading all the posts, I'm now trying to get this image of Eric Cartman of South Park riding his big wheel tricycle and yelling "Yew weel respekt mah AUTHORATAAAH!" unstuck from my mind.  Grin

Anyways, the process of troubleshooting often involves eliminating possible causes of the problem one by one. Sometimes it's straightforward, sometimes not. Let's review what we have so far.

1) Operator error.
IMO, very small chance of this being the cause, since Viracocha has taken the user manual's instructions to heart, and had mastered ground-balancing a Turkish detector in the past.

2) Defective detector.
Lets wait and see what Tesoro says.

3) Bad ground conditions.
Nickel_n did make mention of his Seahunter having problems in hot ground, and that prompted a thought!
For this case, the "ground" conditions are not just the sea bed/beach. The sea water may play a role too. Please bear with me for a bit while I explain.
In very deep water, there exist pools of brine, usually associated with cold seeps. I put forth the premise (unlikely as it seems) of quakes and underwater landslides causing such pools of dense brine to be displaced and roiled up to join currents in the upper parts of the ocean. If this extra-salty water makes it without too much dilution to shallower areas, could it adversely affect the performance of detectors?

I've often boated through patches of sea which smell saltier than other patches of equidistance from land/confluences of fresh and salt water. And if I may make bold to extend this premise a bit further, there are patches of water which positively reeked of ammonia (which I attribute to a passing whale performing the process of eliminating bodily wastes). Would a patch of whale-urine seawater similarly affect detector performance?

Viracocha, you wrote that you used a backup detector (make and model not mentioned) in the same area, and it did it's job properly. I'm wondering if you attempted to use the Tiger Shark again in that same spot AFTER using your backup detector? If the contents of the water do indeed affect detectors, maybe you were merely unlucky to have tried to ground balance the Tiger Shark just when the seawater was particularly adverse. Admittedly, this premise seems flimsy....but I'm curious to know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258585.html#msg258585

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:49:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's incorrect, Hobbyist. It WAS in the subject line. Still is. The word FAIL is the issue and the following comments. Yes, he had a problem. Yes, he has a right to discuss it but not to blame the detector until he knows for sure that it is not a fault, not a failed part or not (dare I mention it) operator error. That last one has happened to the best of us.

Let's wait to see what Tesoro has to say about things. I shall not apologize for asking him to tone it down until he knows. His bad behavior has earned him my comments. Like it or not, whether he sees it or not, his behavior here on this subject has been very premature and possibly damaging. Thanks to my comments, the damage is probably limited. Left alone, his comments would have festered into a gang of Tesor haters making comments in support of his apparent dissatisfaction.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258596.html#msg258596

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 08:14:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
The word FAIL is the issue and the following comments.

Seriously GD, are you essentially saying that the usage of the word "FAIL" turned Viracocha's problem with his Tiger Shark into a review of the Tiger Shark? I cannot agree with you there. To me eyes (when I first saw the posting title on the home page), it was that he simply has a detector named 'Tesoro Tiger Shark'  that had failed to perform in salt mode. Whether that is true or not of each and every Tesoro Tiger Shark unit is not implied to me in that statement. I'm not taking Viracocha's side for the sake of it; just saying I can't see any sign of a detector review in this thread.

I can commiserate with GD in urging Viracocha to wait until Tesoro has had a chance to examine the machine before he writes anything about it. That would be the logical thing to do. And why can I commiserate with GD? Simple answer: the Nokta Golden King. There is a partial parallel here. The Nokta was much-bashed by others, I have a unit and know it works in my hands. GD has a Tiger Shark and knows it works in his hands and we have no reason to doubt that. But that is where the parallel ends. Viracocha is not bad-mouthing or bashing the machine; he simply has encountered a problem with his unit and was hoping to gain insight into the predicament. And I doubt any others will jump in to bash Tesoro, unless a particular batch of Tiger Sharks came out defective.

As a fellow detectorist, I know how much we love and treasure our machines. Viracocha (probably in an anxious state of mind) was simply wanting to know if any other users had a similar problem. The man was most likely a bit upset (6 hr drive, ferry ride and finding that his virtually-new detector would not work). I know I would be too, if in his shoes. It only takes a spark to fall on the dry tinder of an upset man, and a conflagration ensues. 

Adding fuel to the fire was the phrase "as a moderator" (which eventually escalated into "may run you afoul of all the moderators, not just me"). Heavy-handed usage of the phrase, me thinks, and most definitely uncalled for. Save it for situations that actually warrant moderation, GD! After all these years, I'm used to the "style" of you mods, and I believe that you all are essentially good people with a penchant for helping others. But what of newcomers who happen to read that? I daresay it would scare them off this forum. And if this keeps happening, we'll end up with only moderators taking part in contests held by other moderators, and only moderators talking amongst themselves in the Prospecting section with thick-skinned Hobbyist occasionally chiming in. Come to think of it.....it's happening already! AAAARGH! Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258601.html#msg258601

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 08:34:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
Seriously GD, are you essentially saying that the usage of the word "FAIL" turned Viracocha's problem with his Tiger Shark into a review of the Tiger Shark?

No, but I am saying that its current usage to indicate a high level of contempt has turned his post very negative and damaging before you even open it and read it. Then, his words finished the job by condemning a piece of equipment before he even knows whether or not it IS his equipment. Perhaps he has discovered a sunken vessel 6 feet below the sand.

At Misquamicut Beach in Rhode Island in 1974, a group of detectorists gathered after a severe winter storm took away around 4 feet of sand. We wandered around finding goodies but also noted that our detectors were VERY hard to tune to the ground. A couple of days later, along comes yet another storm which uncovered the problem. The beach was founded on hundreds of wrecked cars which were exposed during the second storm. The sand rested on top of them and miles of old 1920s and 1930s hulks lined the beach.

Now, forums were not yet even a dream back then but suppose we had all started bad mouthing our machines? Would that have been fair to blame Whites, Garrett and Technetics for the problem? Of course not. Yet you now seem to be defending bad behavior just because the comments are coming from a moderator and his objection is directed TOWARDS one. You guys just do not have a clue what we do here and you feel free to criticize us relentlessly. I won't be changing my mind on this issue so any further discussion on your part is truly wasted on me. Go ahead and try to convince the rest of the world but don't waste your bandwidth on me, mate. I know what I am talking about here.

Posted on: May 19, 2013, 04:26:28 PM
I do understand that single frequency is still difficult and loss of depth is inevitable, but this detector is used for recent drops only so I'm not that worried about loss of depth... I just could not GB for neither love nor money!

This statement is the one that should have waited. Every other word in his post was wasted. He followed the directions. So??? And my initial reply was to tell him mine worked superbly. After that, I was chastened by him. He invited my comments because, despite my PRECISE answer to his question, he decided to let me know he had a "bee in his bonnet" over my comments.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258604.html#msg258604

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

his words finished the job by condemning a piece of equipment before he even knows whether or not it IS his equipment. Perhaps he has discovered a sunken vessel 6 feet below the sand.

Non sequitur. He had used a backup detector in that area with success.

Yet you now seem to be defending bad behavior just because the comments are coming from a moderator and his objection is directed TOWARDS one. You guys just do not have a clue what we do here and you feel free to criticize us relentlessly.

Oh the drama! Firstly if anyone is making an issue about user vs mod, it's YOU, GD. Until post #4, I saw no instance of bad behavior. Had you used a less antagonistic phrase like "As a fellow detectorist with much experience, I would advise you to..." instead of throwing your moderator weight around unnecessarily, things may have gone in a more pleasant way. But like I said, I've grown accustomed to the "style" of you guys, and do not expect any change. Carry on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258606.html#msg258606

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
GD

I told you. Don't waste your time. You have no idea what you are addressing. In fact, you have it wrong so go away for now. Let this take its course.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47089.msg258617.html#msg258617

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: