[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gizmoTopic starter
Bronze Member

Tesoro Silver umax
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jetco mustang & tesoro silver umax
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

to my surprise today the silver umax on its initial outing surprised me this unit is not suposed to be a salt water capable machine but, when i took it for a dip in the southern chesapeake bay there wasnt a tantrum , just the beeps of metal under the sand in the wading range........even in the 34 degree water the silver took it all in stride.......found no goodies today, but the fun is just beginning......will take her out again tommorow as the weather here starts to warm up and get a better feel for her, by the way it spots my 925 ring & 10`` mind you the stock coil is just 8`` in my terms money well spent ...... Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg144818.html#msg144818

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

gizmo....don't be surprised if someone disagrees with you (but then again DC3s weren't supposed to be able to fly with one wing missing outboard the engine nor are you supposed to be able to roll 707s or 747s).  Glad it's working there for you.  It might not work quite so well in an area with higher salt concentration, but then again in the hands of a good operator.....

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg144822.html#msg144822

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:50:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gizmo, a word of caution. The tube running up to the control box will fill with water when you use it. If you lay it down on the ground on the beach, the water will run into the control box through the screw holes. Be very sure you drain, rinse and dry it before you lay it down.

This is the voice of experience speaking. Yes, I did that to my oldest machine, my poor old Garrett Groundhog. Fortunately, I was able to effect a corrosion control treatment to save it from damage. You might not be so lucky.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg144852.html#msg144852

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gizmoTopic starter
Bronze Member

Tesoro Silver umax
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jetco mustang & tesoro silver umax
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks for the advisement, wont go past the ABS shaft part so am well aware of the water issue, so am working on a way to water repell the control box for the summer, so any potential water wont hurt the unit . and also as i have herd there is a learning curve , one i hope to master over time.......... Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg145022.html#msg145022

Offline pelanj
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Czech Republic

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

That is some great news for me - I am considering a Silver uMax as my C.Scope CS1MX is very chattery on the wet sand. I would also like to do some shallow water (knee deep max) detecting in summer. I need something small and the uMax series detectors fit my travelling bag:) I am interested in any other Silver uMax beach and shallow water experience as there are some other candidates and the budget is limited.

The pity is that 700 USD list price translates to more like 900 USD here for most of the brands...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg145950.html#msg145950

Offline pelanj
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Czech Republic

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:49:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

As a follow up, I have been using a Tesoro EuroSabre II with a 12"x10" DD coil by S.E.F. Great and deep in the dry sand but too unstable in the wet. I could not ground balance correctly. It was usable, but I am going to try out some other (Viking 5 being the next:). The Silver did not make it to the beach, I have changed it for the EuroSabre II as I got a great deal on it. The Silver is a nice detector and I will buy another one when the funds allow  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg175666.html#msg175666

Offline Mad Mike
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Explorer 2 / Ace 250
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:47:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info, need to start keeping a journal on different machines to help make future purchases easier!  That sounds like a lot of work, but will be woth it in the end!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg182739.html#msg182739

Offline pelanj
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Czech Republic

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:41:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

A small update:) The Viking 5 is next to useles where mineralized sand is (as on my test beaches). The depth is reduced to just a few inches. However I liked the tone response - non-motion mode with threshold. Silence means iron and one could hear even slight repeatable changes in threshold. Which of modern detectors has the same tone response? I'd love to have one like that - but only if the small change in threshold is caused by a coin at at least 10" and not at 3" Smiley

Yesterday I have tried my new second hand Silver uMax with the same 12"x10" DD coil. I have found some more old coins and a small silver baby ring where I thought I have picked all up with the EuroSabre. Either the sand has moved a little or I was fooled by the 3 tone audio ID. I dug nothing with a hint of low tone (think a bottle cap:) and I think I may have missed even some fully non-ferrous coins. Some of the coins had a much cleaner response in All metal mode. I think either the coins were not laying flat and/or the mineralized sand reduces the depth in discrimination mode. That was in dry sand.

In the wet sand zone I found two coins and a few aluminium pieces. All relatively shallow, as those were the only signals strong enough to distinguish from the falsing. The falsing can be reduced by swinging in parallel with the water line (you know that already:), but it took too much effort and I had very little time left for the wet sand yesterday. I assume that in the water it could be ok, as it is the wetness/saltiness change that produces falsing. Sofar, the most successful detector in the wet close to the water has been a C-Scope CS1MX in its threshold based discrimination mode - a gold ring at 5" and a silver bracelet at 4" as quite clear signals. I will try the 9"x8" concentric on the Silver to see if I can find some more stuff in the wet sand.

I would be afraid to take my Silver into the water, so I will hopefully soon test a cheap waterproof wanna be Fisher 1280 knock off TL-6003 I got cheaply. If it leaks and gets destroyed, I do not care much. The next step would be a PI machine (a DIY soon-to-be-finished Whites Surfmaster PI), but that will be another topic...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21342.msg182912.html#msg182912

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: