[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline S.TexasKevinTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:11:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Can anyone tell me which coil will fit the Troy Shadow X-5. I have heard the Tesoro coils are interchangeable with the Troy machines, but I have a Tejon coil and the connectors are different. Might be they are interchangeable with the older models ??

Thanks, Kevin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9119.msg57169.html#msg57169

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:21:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Generally speaking, no coil is interchangeable between brands. Most companies do this on purpose. There are aftermarket companies like CoilTek who make coils for a few brands.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9119.msg57211.html#msg57211

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:27:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by S.TexasKevin
Can anyone tell me which coil will fit the Troy Shadow X-5. I have heard the Tesoro coils are interchangeable with the Troy machines, but I have a Tejon coil and the connectors are different. Might be they are interchangeable with the older models ??

Thanks, Kevin

Hello Kevin . The X5 and X3 run at 19 khz . The X2 runs at 9.6 to 10 khz . Most Tesoro search coils will fit on the X2 but not the X5 or X3 . Inside the X5 circuit board only 4 search coil wires are used , 2 for TX and 2 for the RX . If I remember correctly the Tesoro Lobo coils may work if they have the 4 pin configuration . I need to find out if the pin 5 shield was floating and not connected to anything , I do not think that it was .......So some good news , you definitely may have some options .
HH............Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9119.msg57349.html#msg57349

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

See what I mean, Kevin? Even with the options Eugene mentioned, there is still no guarantee of success and lots of work to do just to make them work. The simple answer is no. The coils are not interchangeable.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9119.msg57359.html#msg57359

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
See what I mean, Kevin? Even with the options Eugene mentioned, there is still no guarantee of success and lots of work to do just to make them work. The simple answer is no. The coils are not interchangeable.

Hello Kevin and Everyone . What you do is accurately measure the transmit and recieve DC resistance of the stock seach coil that came with your Troy X5 Metal Detector . Then you can measure other Tesoro coils [new or used ] to see if they are identical or very close to the same resistance values . You then must make sure the search coil connector pins are configured or line up the same . Pins 1 and 3 normally colored orange and purple are the TX [Transmit coil winding] and pins 4 and 5 Grey and screen are the [Recieve winding] . Pin 2 is not used . Like I said previously with some carefull experiments and even also trying DD configuations you can improove your X5 performance using specific search coils for certain ground conditions and areas . Smaller coils for trashy areas and DD coils for detecting deeper on larger targets . With different search coils you can go back to your hunted out areas and find more Targets . I will post more details later , on which Tesoro coils to try . The search coils that are used on Tesoro detector models from 15 to 20 khz will give you the best results . The higher the frequency the better , Remember the X5 runs at 19 khz. Let us know your progress , Keep us Posted !!
HH..........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9119.msg57382.html#msg57382

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:29:02 pm by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline S.TexasKevinTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:25:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the replies, sounds like allot of trouble, but I may think about it. I will have to find me some Troy connectors unless the non HOT technology Tesoro's connectors are the same. The Hot technology small disc I kept back from my Tejon is not the right connectors.
This Shadow is awesome, problem being, I would like to use the little hockey puck in the trash areas and I would like to get a very large disk for more depth and Troy is not making them.
Again thanks ya'll, and please keep the info coming. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9119.msg57574.html#msg57574

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: