[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mr-elmoTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, Actually I'm going closer to What used to be Montel Texas, Now just a Marker on Hwy 55 right by the beautiful Nueces River . I am going to look at some land for sale but while I'm up that way....

Well to make a long story short (too late for that I'm afraid) I was wondering if anyone was familiar with

Newton Gang Loot in Uvalde County

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-Treasure7.html

By 1914 Willis Newton was fed up with being a dirt-poor cotton farmer in Uvalde County, Texas . To this; however, the town folks of Uvalde would probably  have scoffed, questioning whether the man had ever really worked. By this time, Newton had already gained a reputation as a thief from a young age. Evidently, the Newton brothers had started breaking into stores when they were still kids, and before long, if something went missing, anywhere within hundreds of miles of Uvalde, it was quickly presumed to have been the fault of the Newton boys.

But breaking into stores would not meet the ambitions of four out of five of the Newton boys, as they soon progressed to robbing banks and trains.

Willis was the first to rob the railroad when he and a friend boarded a train at Cline, Texas . After taking everything of value from its passengers, they disembarked just short of Spofford in Kinney County, with some $4,700 in their pockets. Later, when Willis was in Durant, Oklahoma, he joined a gang who robbed a bank in Boswell, making off with some $10,000.

By 1919, four of the five Newton brothers ? Willis, Willie ?Doc,? Jess, and Joe, were serving time in different prisons for various crimes. However, Willis and Joe were released that year and Willis soon convinced his brother that they should form their own gang. The next year, ?Doc? escaped from a prison in Texas and quickly joined his brothers, who were then residing in Tulsa, Oklahoma . The next spring, Jess was released, making up the final member of the gang.

Between 1919 and 1924, the Newton Gang would rob 87 banks and six trains, taking more loot than the Dalton boys, Butch Cassidy, and the James Gang, combined. Stretching all over the United States, the gang hit their home state of Texas, as well as Oklahoma , Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, Illinois, Wisconsin, and even Canada.

Most of their bank heists were committed at night after they had cased  the joint for several days. Using nitroglycerin, they would blow open the safes, take the cash, and quickly disappear. On one occasion, they robbed two banks in Hondo, Texas on the same night.

Though they preferred to do their ?work? at night to avoid meeting anyone, they were known to commit robberies during the day on some occasions, where their victims described them as extremely polite. They went out of their way to make sure that the people in the bank or on the train were comfortable and not too upset, explaining that they would never hurt anyone. And, during these many escapades, they never did.

Amazingly, these many robberies were not connected nor were the Newton brothers ever suspected, that was until, their final robbery  which, due to the large amount taken, brought down the combined forces of several law enforcement agencies.

On June 12, 1924, the Newton boys, joined up with two Chicago gangsters, a Chicago racketeer, and a postal inspector, and robbed a train at Rondout, Illinois, netting them more than three million dollars. It was the largest train robbery in history.

Boarding a mail train in Chicago, the Postal Inspector, named William J. Fahyand, along with Willis Newton, forced the train to stop at Rondout and demanded that the mail sacks containing some three million dollars in cash and securities be thrown from the train, enforcing their demands by firing bullets and tear gas into the mail car. In the confusion, Willie ?Doc? Newton was hit in the leg by a stray bullet. With the cash, the Newton boys loaded the wounded Willie into a waiting car and took off.  However, while they were loading him up, a bystander heard one of them call him ?Willie,? which gave authorities a lead on the outlaws. 

A few days later, when the police got a tip that a wounded man was being cared for in a north side Chicago house, they followed up and the gang?s plans began to unravel.  Within days, Doc, Willis and Joe Newton had been arrested. However, brother Jess had managed to get out of Chicago and headed towards Texas with about $35,000 in cash from the robbery.

But Jess made a mistake when he decided to get drunk in San Antonio. Sure that he needed to hide the stolen loot, he soon hired a cab that took him into the country, where he buried the cash.  The very next day, he decided he should go to Mexico and returned to dig up the money. However, he couldn?t remember where he buried it. He even located the cab driver who had driven him the night before, but as it turned out, the cab driver had also been drinking and he wasn't able to remember where they had gone either. After searching for some time, Jess finally abandoned the idea and headed to Mexico anyway. But his freedom was short lived when a federal agent soon located him in Via Acuna and brought him back across the border.

All eight were eventually arrested and except for about $100,000 the stolen loot was returned in exchange for lighter sentences.  All eight went to prison, with William J. Fahy, the postal official who had master minded the robbery, receiving the longest sentence of 25 years in the Federal Penitentiary at Leavenworth, Kansas.

After serving their time, the Newton brothers were released from prison and returned to their home town of Uvalde, Texas . But old habits die hard. In 1968, in Rowena, Texas , Doc Newton, who was by then in his mid-70?s, made a bungled attempt at breaking into the bank. Because of his age, he was turned loose.

Five years later, in 1973, Willis Newton was implicated in a bank robbery in Bracketville, Texas , but there wasn't enough evidence to prove a case against him.

Of the missing money, it has never been found, even though the Newton brothers, themselves, hunted for it after their release from prison. Willis said that Jess buried the money on top of a hill, where he dug a hole and put a large rock over it.  In court and under oath, Jess had testified that he buried the money somewhere along Fredericksburg Road but from what he told his brothers, Willis was convinced it was more likely on the road to Bandera.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166223.html#msg166223

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:00:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mr-elmo
In court and under oath, Jess had testified that he buried the money somewhere along Fredericksburg Road but from what he told his brothers, Willis was convinced it was more likely on the road to Bandera.

Either way, if it's there, I've driven past it  Wink .   

Posted on: April 26, 2011, 01:58:25 PM
Here's a story from the Houston Chronicle

Please Register or Login

http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=bearfacts&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=bearfacts&plckPostId=Blog%3AbearfactsPost%3Aa1caf47d-f0d3-4a67-aa15-d7b75ff1885a&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166231.html#msg166231

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting read. I am also going To Alamo Springs near the  bat tunnel on Texas ol Number 9 , the old San Antonio, Fredericksburg Road. That's the first stop, Then on to Montel area. but Mrs just informed me , we might postpone for a week or so Grrr

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166236.html#msg166236

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:13:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

add this to the fodder: 

Please Register or Login

http://www.examiner.com/historic-living-in-chicago/the-rondout-train-robbery

The job now is to a) find the right road and b) find the right hill.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166238.html#msg166238

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:30:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Awww the hill you say... looks like I need to get a cab and get howling drunk, and it might increase my odds

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166241.html#msg166241

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:18:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I remember reading somewhere about a 17,000 dollar cache found along Bandera road in the 1970's that the finders claim was the Newton cache.
The Newton boys are like a lot of outlaws they did steal some money but lots of robbery's were accredited to them that they never did. And like most outlaws they spend money as fast as they got it. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166249.html#msg166249

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:50:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"And like most outlaws they spend money as fast as they got it"

Come to think of it, I think I have some outlaws in my family......

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg166289.html#msg166289

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:08:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm back We made it as far as The Twin Sisters, and old #9 Hwy, all I have to show for it is a big gas bill and one very interesting rock

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg167012.html#msg167012

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very interesting and close to home. But Bit's link is not available. Sad  Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg215460.html#msg215460

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:00:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by FlowerOfTheSea
But Bit's link is not available.

It worked for me when I tried it just a couple of minutes ago.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23182.msg215483.html#msg215483

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: